• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Bubbles on Translucent with Lam

fresh

We ordered large (9x2' and 9x4') translucent prints with laminate, and BUBBLES. BUBBLES EVERYWHERE.

My partner has been laying vinyl for 14 years, and he's never seen anything like it. We tried it dry, we tried it wet, we held one side up and taunt while squeegeeing. Nothing worked. Massive amounts of bubbles to be popped. After a long bubble popping session, it looks pretty good, and thankfully it is 25 feet up in the air.

I am guessing that my supplier used the wrong laminate on the vinyl. We don't print in house, so I don't know all the ins and outs of printed vinyl. However, I do know if they put a calendered lam on a cast product it will probably cause problems. We ordered translucent w/ lam two weeks ago from the same supplier and didn't have any problems.

So, do you think it was user error or was there a problem with the product?

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
I run that with a laminator and apply a very fine mist of rapid tac.

fresh

im assuming this was applied to new polycarb panel?

Yes, new polycarbonate panel. We took the protective film off a day ahead of time to let it "breath." What do you think the problem could have been? I do not want a repeat of this in the future

fresh

I run that with a laminator and apply a very fine mist of rapid tac.

First, we don't have a laminator. Second, the panel was 66" wide. How wide a substrate can your laminator accept? Third, we used rapid tac, it helped a little, but it didn't solve the problem.

S'N'S

I take the protective covering off right before I apply vinyl to it and never have trouble with bubbles, so the only thing I can think of is nicks in the squeegee or bad technique. If the bubbles are small, chuck the panels out in the sun and they will disappear.
Its hard to give an accurate answer as we weren't there to watch the application, so we would only be guessing at best.

Techman

improper technique..
Flood the surface with rapid tac. Not a mist.. FLOOD IT..then squeegee from middle out..

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
First, we don't have a laminator. Second, the panel was 66" wide. How wide a substrate can your laminator accept? Third, we used rapid tac, it helped a little, but it didn't solve the problem.

Sorry....you never said you didn't have a laminator, nor did you specify both prints went on the same panel, i.e. over 5' tall.

Sorry to have given any thought to your problem.

vid

I've had issues like that before. It looked like a bad case of acne.

The material was allowed to out-gas and then cleaned with 99% alcohol prior to vinyl application. It was then gently misted with a garden sprayer until it was as moist as a swimming pool. A full coverage of vinyl was applied, wiped clean, and set out back for installation. As the sign sat it began to "effervesce."

...Later, that day, we had a couple dry applied aluminum signs do the same thing.​

The only thing that we could come up with was some sort of contamination of shop towels that we used to clean the material --- (we had a cleaning service for the towels.)

Both of the signs, ultimately laid down after some hot/cold cycles in the shop.

Still not real sure what the deal was, but a big bundle of shop rags went back to the service unused and no problems after that.

fresh

improper technique..
Flood the surface with rapid tac. Not a mist.. FLOOD IT..then squeegee from middle out..

The thing is, we've done this before. Many, many times. The first run was a disaster. It was late, so we decided to leave it for the next day. The next day, we tried all the tricks we know, and it was still a mess.

Nobody has commented on my theory that the prints may have had a calendared lamination. Have you ever accidentally put calendared laminate on cast vinyl? How did it effect the install?