• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Bubbles When Layering

asmith8609

I preassembled this sticker using the registration mark method. What is causing the bubbles around the layers? How can I prevent this, or can it even be prevented? This is my second one, and though this one is slightly better than the first, it's still bad.

Attachments

• IMG_3772.jpg
    IMG_3772.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 678

smdgrfx

I have the same problem...LOL...I just do a wet application layer by layer, if I have to do this method. Normally, I print though.

S'N'S

If you are hinging ... say from the top, bad squeegee technique or nicks in squeegee, its no different to applying to anything else.
Sorry just re-read your post, on preassembled it's the different layers, the steps in the edges of the vinyl, squeegee real hard when applying.(the different layers are getting different pressure) I don't usually layer until application.

asmith8609

I'm brand new to this. This was only my second attempt ever. So, I guess practice makes perfect? I also use a cricut and only have cricut tools, so maybe they aren't the best.

striper14

when i first started i installed wet, layer by layer, tho usually without registration marks. Get the first layer on in the right position..measuring is optional...then float on each layer, lining up by eye & squeegeeing (sp?) well...its slower but IMO you get a better finish & fewer stuff ups...
Nowadays I try to do everything dry using rego marks but that depends on size and how i'm feeling & how much time i've got etc. Just try everything for yourself..I much prefer installing prints with air release :thumb:

Billct2

Yea, hate pre-assembling layers and fortunately seldom have to do it anymore.
It's tough to both line it up and get enough smooth even pressure when it's on a carrier sheet.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
First things first.

Reproducing that logo is about as illegal as you can get and being a novice in this industry with no knowledge, equipment or experience...... don't worry about perfecting that technique.

Second, what you are trying to do, besides being illegal, is to make something with so many layers, it will never hold up well in any environment. 2... maybe 3 layers at most, but unless you put the red down before the black, that thing is gonna look like total crapola in no time.

When you start needing things like that, you either digitally print them or screen print them if you have multiples.

Don't be duplicating sports, cartoon, car or any other protected property on the internet. It's not yours for the taking, just because you have a cricut.

spectrum maine

practice grasshopper- i have been laying vinyl for 30 years & i still get bubbles. i always
tell my employees "Slop & Chop means Pop, Pop, Pop!"

• Agree
Reactions: TLG
I'll echo the others who say you will get bubbles when you try to pre-assemble layers in the shop before giving to the customer or if you are trying to save a step in the field. Even if there are no bubbles on your finished layered masking job in the shop, the bubbles will form when you apply the final product.

a77

When I pre-layer, we make sure to use a very good table top, like a piece of glass or ACM or something on top of our regular cutting table to give us a real smooth surface. I do layers wet. When doing the final install, I also do wet and have to push on the squeegee very hard.
If you can get away with the lightest cut on your base layer as possible, that's best... otherwise you are pushing liquid into the cut left on the liner by the your plotter blade. That many layers it would be unavoidable.. and that probably should be printed.

Johnny Best

I sure hope you are not doing their helmet stickers for the big game against Green Bay. Maybe your on to something, the bubbles will cut down the impact on head injuries.

printhog

this is a squeegee technique problem, and even the best of us do it once in a while..

use a roller brayer like they sell for hobbies and crafts. it will act like a laminator roller. 12" Roller Squeegee Brayer | Image1Impact

try to match the brayer to the graphic. if if the graphic is too big, then a 4" or 8" brayer and :

ive recommended this gizmo (SpeedPress) to folks because it really works for this type of thing .. you can float the graphic over the other layer, by setting the frame on a couple of paint sticks, prepositioning it perfectly, and roller the vinyls together without bubbles.. wanna be cheap? - make your own out of 1/2" mdo with d/s tape on the underside - stretch the clear app tape across and attach it to the d/s tape. their kit is worth the $ tho.