• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Bubbles When Layering

StreamlineDesign

like the others have said, layering is best on the intended surface.

Nobody here addressed the *why* you're getting the bubbles; It's because of the layered vinyl is higher at the edges than the layer below it.
Your squeegee cannot make full surface contact because of this gap - as small as it is. In your photo, you have some larger bubbles that are farther away from the layered edges, which to me looks like not enough pressure being applied during installation.

Yes, you will always get tiny bubbles around the edges of layered vinyl when installed.
We only pop the largest (1/8" or larger). The smaller bubbles go away after a few days on their own.

While it is best to install in layers, it's not always possible - depending on the surface you're applying to.

We install 48" wide x 24" tall pre-assembled two-color layered logos (dry) on semi trailers for best results.
We found that going over rivets or sometimes corrugated surfaces plus rivets and seams is much easier to do when pre-assembled, not only for alignment purposes, it also saves time from working around said rivets twice for each graphic. We'd love to be able to print a one layer logo for this company, but the main color is gold metallic which makes that impossible.

When possible, we do install in layers for best results.

strypguy

I agree with StreamlineDesign. I have also found when installing correctly layered decals using the dry method that a good felt covered wrap squeegee does a good job of keep the bubbles at a minimum. It's really all in the technique and tools. John

TammieH

As others have said, You can't pre-assemble cut vinyl, you have to apply one layer at a time on your substrate, or print.

rydods

Member for quite some time.
Well, first of all it's a Falcons sticker. Make it a Packers sticker and you'll never have that problem and you'll sell more. :wink: Completely assuming you have permission to make these.

AnthonyRalano

I layer vinyl in the shop. This is what I do for good results... Mask the top layers, apply them to the base layer with Rapid Tac 1 application fluid and have a towel close by to immediately dry the backing paper off so it does not wrinkle. The bubbles are from not pressing the squeegee hard enough with even pressure. Let it dry completely before putting the final mask on the layered vinyl. I have done this thousands of times without problems.

gnubler

I'll echo the others who say you will get bubbles when you try to pre-assemble layers in the shop before giving to the customer or if you are trying to save a step in the field. Even if there are no bubbles on your finished layered masking job in the shop, the bubbles will form when you apply the final product.
Eeek, I hope I don't learn the hard way on this. I just pre-layered some cut vinyl graphics in the shop for a semi-truck install. It's getting cold here and was hoping to keep the install time as short as possible.

My liner got pretty wet & wrinkled, had to do it wet due to tight registration. Hope it doesn't create issues during installation.

Sounds like the consensus is to do the layering upon installation, not on the shop table.

striper14

if you're pre assembling, use air release vinyl, it works very well. While this battalion decal is not layered as such, the principle is the same. Pre align on the workbench to make installation easier. I use 3M 1080mc for doing Caravans like this, or for everyday stuff, whatever calendared air release i can get.

Attachments

• Battalion caravan.jpg
    Battalion caravan.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 50

ikarasu

Eeek, I hope I don't learn the hard way on this. I just pre-layered some cut vinyl graphics in the shop for a semi-truck install. It's getting cold here and was hoping to keep the install time as short as possible.

My liner got pretty wet & wrinkled, had to do it wet due to tight registration. Hope it doesn't create issues during installation.

Sounds like the consensus is to do the layering upon installation, not on the shop table.
The problem with pre - layering is when you're using a squeegee, the squeegee is to hard and doesn't get all the air out when it's going over a line layer.

Get a wrap glove if you don't have one, and use that to do the install and it'll be fine - or use a soft roller, or anything that soft enough to form around the layers

JBurton

Signtologist
3m makes a vinyl with synthetic liner (clear plastic), helps with wet installations. I did a big piece, nearly 2'x4', and pre registered it in the shop before going out for install since it's so hard to see black on a window. Turned out pretty sick... thought I still have nightmares of chasing down the next weed line on this dudes beard:
1701108352999.png

gnubler

I ended up pitching the first set of graphics, the liner got too wet & wrinkled and ruined the vinyl. My fault.

I did the layering at the install site using registration marks for both colors.

^^The above looks awesome! Great job. I would've just printed that, not layered two colors of cut vinyl.

Stacey K

I like making signs
If I'm going to get another tattoo, I want to go here, where they offer rusty needles.

Looks really cool! Nice job!

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
3m makes a vinyl with synthetic liner (clear plastic), helps with wet installations. I did a big piece, nearly 2'x4', and pre registered it in the shop before going out for install since it's so hard to see black on a window. Turned out pretty sick... thought I still have nightmares of chasing down the next weed line on this dudes beard:
View attachment 168519
That's insane, my boss would not sign up for this... But I'd want to try. Well done. I'm impressed.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
I see the trim matches his name.
Yes of course you do. We really need to start that thread where the daily challenge is a "find the difference between two pictures"
A daily detail-find-it challenge.
... lately it's been "what is a bot-post, and what's a real question".
On with the visual stuff for visual folks.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Burton, that 3M clear back stuff blows. Make 4 squares, cut them on each color, weed/tape, cut right against the corner of the boxes then align the squares as you layer.

JBurton

Signtologist
^^The above looks awesome! Great job. I would've just printed that, not layered two colors of cut vinyl.
I thought about that, but to get it visible from both sides, I'd need to print a reverse image and install it inside, which wouldn't be nearly as cool.
rusty needles or "just a little prick"
Super ironically, the city would not give him a business license for his original name "Tiny Pricks."
That's insane, my boss would not sign up for this...
This was done as a trade for a tattoo for my wife, took me something like 2 hours, took him about 1 hour.
that 3M clear back stuff blows
It's what I grew up weeding, to the point that I hate anything on paper liner. It does have it's drawbacks, like cutting too deep into the backer causes nothing to lift with the masking, but at least it doesn't carry half a layer of masking with the adhesive.