• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Build your own arcade system

John L

The Xarcade controllers used to be $200 for the two player and $150 for the trackball unit (might even be cheaper nowadays). 2 sheets black melamine $160, T moulding is about $1/ft = $30, Used computer and monitor retired from my office.

The smaller one was from when my youngest daughter was still little. 1/2 size 1/2 money I'm sure.

John L

Yes I like this a lot but what machine will be running all the games?
Can I suggest an original XBOX that has been chipped and has Coinops 5 installed.
This will give you every conceivable retro arcade game you could ever think of!
Do a little research the original XBOX is the ultimate over engineered game system?
I have two of these old machines on my network running all my old games which run into the thousands and using XBMC (XBOX Media Centre) it is the ultimate Media Player.
I promise you will not be disappointed and these machines can now be bought for peanuts and once you install a large hard drive into them it is unbelievable .

SC

In your case, is the Xbox running an emulator and regular mame games? or is it runing retro games made for the xbox? I'll do a netsearch also, just thought I'd ask since you are here.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
My friend's father owned an arcade repair shop and we spent many a rainy Saturday afternoons blasting centipedes and asteroids back in the early 80s.

Whatever you do, don't forget Galaga.

JB

heyskull

In your case, is the Xbox running an emulator and regular mame games? or is it runing retro games made for the xbox? I'll do a netsearch also, just thought I'd ask since you are here.

Yes the XBOX is running multiple emulators and these are the original arcade games. The likes of space invaders, galaxians and thousands more originals can be run through CoinOps.
I have CoinOps 4 on mine and i don't think I have played 5% of the games!
The latest coinops 5 has over 22,000 Supported Games, 5000 more than CoinOPS 4!

SC

Joe Diaz

So this project has morphed into something a bit bigger. I was walking to lunch with my brother Ben yesterday and we were discussing a few different ideas for the theme of this thing, and that's when my brother said, it would be cool if we could make our own game for this thing.

So during our lunch break we began brainstorming ideas for a side-scroller game where you play as a Walldog, and jump across scaffolding dodging enemies and painting murals as you go.

Last night I started working on the main character's sprite. This is Wally the Dog:
walldog color run 2.gif
I still need to give him a paint brush.

So the arcade unit will be themed to match this game.

signswi

Yes the XBOX is running multiple emulators and these are the original arcade games. The likes of space invaders, galaxians and thousands more originals can be run through CoinOps.
I have CoinOps 4 on mine and i don't think I have played 5% of the games!
The latest coinops 5 has over 22,000 Supported Games, 5000 more than CoinOPS 4!

SC

I used to do this as well but you should also look into Raspberry Pi for future emulator builds. My wife and I like to play Jeopardy for the NES and laugh at the cold war questions, but really SNES Mario Kart gets the most play, as it should.

shayanjameel08

When I went looking for how to make a arcade game. I meant EXACTLY THAT! I am talking about the game asking for (input) like a Quarter etc. Plus I want to convert a old ARCADE Machine into one with a game of my choice.

AceSignsOnline

Joe,

You just HAD to bring up my weakness, didn't you? :) I've built several arcade sticks for xbox 360, ps2, and ps3. Mostly just to play the Street Fighter series, though. I'm not as much of a "gamer" as I am a Street Fighter dork.

Anyway... I would STRONGLY suggest looking into other components for your buttons and sticks. The X-Arcade is okay, but the guts inside of those setups are "iffy" at best. You'd be much better off purchasing HAPP controls if you like American-style, or Sanwa if you like Japanese sticks (my personal preference). Those two brands are the standard for a reason. They hold up well and are easy to maintain should you ever have any problems.

As far as building goes... You'd be surprised what you can do yourself even if you're mediocre when it comes to soldering. This is a pretty good resource: http://arcadecontrols.com/arcade.htm There is also some really good info at www.shoryuken.com forums.

Good luck with your build. :)