• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Building New Computer

I am fixing to build a computer specifically for designing. It will only be running Flexi 8.1 and Photoshop CS3. I have built many computers but they have all been for general use, not for design only. What do you who have built design computers reccomend for the hardware, processor, mobd, ram, hard drives, video card, etc. Any suggestions you can give me will be greatly apprieciated.
Thanks
Stuart

briderx

Alright.. Remember, each response will be completely different... Opinions...

Intel Quad Core
4GB Ram
2x320gb HDD (raid)
Intel FX series Graphics card
Case w/dual 120mm fans (smaller = louder) - LianLi is my weapon of choice

It all depends on your budget.. I wouldn't go "ALL OUT". If that's all you know you'll be running in the next 2-3 years, a mid $500.00 machine would suit you fine.

cptcorn

adad
Dual Quad Core Intel Xeon
16gb to 32gb [MINIMUM!]
4 150GB 10k rpm drives running RAID 5
nVidia Graphics card...

choucove

When doing design work any higher-clocked dual-core or quad-core processor would be your ideal processor. Most software still benefits more from the faster clock speed than multiple cores. Still, if you are planning for this computer to be in use for the next four years or so, I would still suggest going with the quad-core, as software is beginning to transition to take advantage of multiple cores better.

4 GB of DDR2 or DDR3 ram minimum, though this would require a 64-bit operating system to recognize and utilize all 4 GB remember. But you also don't always need to go overkill with the RAM. This article by Tom's Hardware explains that most all computer applications (even though this is focused towards benchmarking and gaming) still runs fine with just 4 GB of total memory, so having more may not mean having more power.

I have always preferred ASUS brand motherboards, though in recent years it seems some quality issues have begun to lack. Many many others are starting to use Gigabyte-brand motherboards as they are just as good quality (if not superior in some cases) and less cost. I've used both and like them both. If you are doing something with design work, find a motherboard that offers at least one PCI-Express x16 2.0 slot for a good video card.

And for video card, I recommend nVidia Quadro FX line of cards, specifically the FX 570. It is a very decent card for design work, is specifically designed for more industrial design tasks than gaming, and has good driver support. I've built four systems using this video card and have had no problems with them. They are a little more expensive than similar nVidia GeForce cards, but that is up to your choice.

And finally, if you are building this computer yourself, and foresee perhaps getting in there and working on it occasionally at least, then don't skimp on the case. Find something at least decent quality. There are several good options out there and it all depends upon the space that you need the computer in and the components you are putting into it.

OldPaint

iam lookin to build a new one. as this AMD 2100 is gettin a little old. iam lookin at GIGIBYTE M/B. with a PCI SLOT, AND AN LPT-1 port. i have legacy type stuff to run. 4 GIG ram, and a new case. iam always workin on em, so i agree .......DO NOT SKIMP ON CASE. lots of cooling. you can have a fast m/b, processor, but if it aint kept cool............it will run slugish.

trik

One thing to consider is the OS, as you will need the 64bit to use all 4gigs of RAM as choucove mentioned, but I also have Flexi 8.1, never loaded it on Vista, but was told that is does not work with Vista, I know SA says it is not compatiable, but never loading it on a Vista system, does not mean it will not work, just need to try it.

My system I built, Quad Core with ASUS Board, 4 gig ram(only 3gig available with XP), 400 gig hard drive , XFX Nividia 9800GTX 512mb, Samsung 22inch LCS(SyncMaster 220wm) I built this just over a year ago, for about $1400.

Craig Sjoquist

since in OCT windows 7 release is coming ...and with good reviews from beta users that I know of (several) all saying decent things about windows 7 and stored away vista

I would think about the future

I also want to build since I can't even dream about buying a complete system ..till I get a cutting plotter.. ....but I'll build one part at a time till afford and done
so this thread will be interesting

choucove

I have been testing with Windows 7 quite a bit lately, and actually have been using the RC 64-bit edition as my main operating system for a month now. Have installed and run Flexi Pro v8.1 and Flexi Expert v8.1 and both have operated perfectly without any problems. Even able to print and plot without any issues. I had some help from others here figuring out the proper way of configuring our Graphtec FC5100 plotter so it would run in the 64-bit operating system.

As it runs right now, Windows 7 has been more efficient than Windows Vista, so you should have any real problems upgrading later if you get any computer now.

And I also have used Raptor hard drives for four computer systems to help beef up the storage subsystem speed. Many people will tell you that that is one of the slow-points of computer systems today, and faster hard drives like the VelociRaptor 10,000 rpm drives, SAS enterprise hard drives, and even solid state disks can help that speed out. In a recent build for my own personal computer I went with two SSD drives in RAID 0 and was floored by the increase in performance that I noticed. Still, such an upgrade can cost a LOT!

Dice

Hi Stuart, you can't go wrong with NewEgg. Well you can, you just need to know exactly what your ordering.

Depending on how much you want to spend, you could make a screaming machine with an I7 and a SSD Drive.

FYI Photoshop 4 has Graphics Card Acceleration so it's a bit faster if you have a good video card in the machine.

Thanks for all of the replys. I have been looking at different hardware for the computer and I'm now thinking that I might just need to work on the one I have. The computer that I am using right now has the following components in it.
Intel Core 2 Quad Q660
Intel DP35PDM mobo
GeForce 7200 GS Video Card 256mb
Ultra 1024mb PC4200 DDR2 533Mhz x 4
Maxtor Diamond Max 21 200Gb HD 7200 (I know this is most of my problem)
Windows XP pro

I am thinking about keeping what I have and adding faster hard drives in a Raid 0 may give me the speed I want. My biggest complaint with the computer is the time it takes to open and save files. Even relatively small files container several vector elements take forever to open and save. Do you think it would be worth upgrading my harddrives or just buy something new. This computer is only a year old. I am also going to talk to Casey at Signburst but am affraid that is a little more that I can spend right now.

SignBurst PCs

You have decent hardware in that system. As you already know (from talking to you on the phone), I might suggest moving from that Maxtor to a faster 10,000RPM drive or drives (RAID).

But with the hardware that you have listed, it shouldn't take 2 minutes to open a 8MB file in Flexi. I suspect that there is a software issue somewhere. Antivirus, Malware, driver problems, incorrect pagefile settings, etc could all lead to piss-poor performance. That is not to mention a possible issue with your Flexi installation.

As always, I am happy to help my fellow 101'ers. Solutions aren't always a matter of recommending a new computer. But, if you do find yourself in need of a new system, let me know. I will work out something special.

briderx

OOps.. Just realized I said "Intel FX Graphics card".. I meant "Nvidia FX".

Your system is FINE. You need to upgrade video card and hard drive. other than that, it'll do just fine.

Make sure you get an OVERPOWERED power supply. Name brand. I cannot tell you how much money I have made by customers complaining about their systems not running right after changing "all components".. Usually start with power supply and 9 out of 10 times, it fixes the problem..

Geforce 7200gs is a VERY basic card..

briderx

Dual Quad Core Intel Xeon
16gb to 32gb [MINIMUM!]
4 150GB 10k rpm drives running RAID 5
nVidia Graphics card...

Please tell me you are joking...? Useless/unrealistic comment IMO.

He's running two programs that are pretty basic.