• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

business card re-design

Malkin

As a rule of thumb, don't depend on using an outline (or glow) in order to give text enough contrast to read, rather change the text to contrast with the background. Any effects or shadows added should compliment the design, but not be a crutch to lean on.

Bearing that in mind, I would change DataBlitz to white. Maybe it could have a black drop shadow or something.

Also, occasionally print out your design at actual size to remind yourself how big it will really be. On screen it looks huge, but in actuality the text will be quite small.

GypsyGraphics

hi datablitz

i wasn't sure i wanted to offer critic on your business card because i didn't know where to begin, none of it was working for me. without the time to offer a visual suggestion, i didn't want to just poo poo it and bail.

but now, seeing that you posted just the text layout.... i'd like to point out a critical mistake you're making.

you gotta get past the "Vista Print" method of design, which always comes off looking like...
pick a background, plop some text on top and call it done.

you can't layout your text without knowing what other elements will be on the page.... everything has to work together.

the circuit board image isn't a bad idea, you just need to do something interesting with it. i always like it when a logo has an design element that can be pulled out and used alone.... like your lightening/blitz bolt. there are so many things you can do with that circuit image and your blitz bolt. play with a few cool options....
then work with them on your business card layout in conjunction with your text.

ok having said that....
i'll tell you what my first impression was on your original layout. i'm not trying to be rude, this was my honest first thought.... bacteria in a petri dish... and it kinda gave me the heebee-geebeeies. even if you were a chemist, it still wouldn't be a good impression to be left with.

datablitz

i appreciate you guys giving your honest opinions. i like hearing different opinions. do you think the green at the bottom adds to it or not? i think this is starting to improve.... im still thinking of some ideas to tweak the bolt, but not settled on something yet.

Attachments

• new-card.jpg
    new-card.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 65

Tiki

Font Sage
Quick idea using your circuit board background for better Readability Separate the circuit board from your Copy
Maybe stay with one typeface :smile:

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 82

datablitz

yea, thats a really clean design. i might have to play with something like that. thanks for the ideas. im starting to really like the other design too, damn. i may need two cards.

datablitz

so maybe i will go with two cards for the different services i offer my customers. i do really like Tiki's design. but I'm starting to like my other design as well

Attachments

• new-card2.jpg
    new-card2.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 81
  • new-card3.jpg
    new-card3.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 88

datablitz

I am really liking these two cards. im sure not everyone shares that with me, but im becoming fond of them. thanks for all the suggestions everyone, i do appreciate it.

signswi

Man are you lucky someone decided to throw you a spec bone. Hire a designer! This is just your business card, what about the rest of your brand and identity? It should be consistent and uniform. You're struggling this much with the smallest part of it!

Marlene

you forgot the - between the area code and first three numbers.

like that it looks like a banner. pretty cool idea. the zig zag thing is just not doing it and looks like an after thought.

datablitz

good call jill. thanks. i kinda left the dash out on purpose, but i might add it back in. the little bolt under datablitz kinda ties my two designs together.

Attachments

• new-card2.jpg
    new-card2.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 61

signmeup

Does "custom vinyl" mean you do awning covers and wheel covers and stuff like that?
Maybe try the holes for the grommets in white? Or, even better, have them punched out.