• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

business forsale

Locals Find!

This is the reason I don't want to go the route of having employees! Someone works for you for 9 months and all of a sudden it's "this is easy money" and they could do a better job than you...

Adholio...you are really coming back strong!

Thank you! Would you mind not calling me Adholio anymore?? Jason would be preferred.

CentralSigns

Interesting discussion. We started a shop in a town were there was already a sign business, he wanted us to buy him out at $120k. We made $10 k year one, then in year 2 made $25K. Our competition wanted $60 K to buy him out at the end of year 2. Last year we delivered a huge marketing plan, in an attempt to steal all the business from him. We succeeded by putting the competitor out of business in Dec and made $70k net last year in the process.

I would think that unless you have a real good backing, and plenty of time, the $30K he wants for the business is cheap. Go on your own and it will take several years to develop the business. In the cost he is asking there is the hidden value of not having competition. So in you cost analysis take this into account, there is more to buying than values tied to equipment and hard assets. He also has a customer base and a location.

dmeehan31

Interesting discussion. We started a shop in a town were there was already a sign business, he wanted us to buy him out at $120k. We made $10 k year one, then in year 2 made $25K. Our competition wanted $60 K to buy him out at the end of year 2. Last year we delivered a huge marketing plan, in an attempt to steal all the business from him. We succeeded by putting the competitor out of business in Dec and made $70k net last year in the process.

I would think that unless you have a real good backing, and plenty of time, the $30K he wants for the business is cheap. Go on your own and it will take several years to develop the business. In the cost he is asking there is the hidden value of not having competition. So in you cost analysis take this into account, there is more to buying than values tied to equipment and hard assets. He also has a customer base and a location.

thank you.

this was the type of response i was looking for

not all the negative that came about this

i did a lot of things in this 9 months people do not understand like why i was willing to do this for 9 months without taking a check and so on

that is my business why i did that and it has worked out to my advantage

so central signs thank you for your insight and your history of what you have done because it looks like you read this post for what it was and not trying to bash it...

if i know how to use the flexi program and cut vinyl and the owner does not which i stated before i believe that puts me ahead of the game over him. the guy who was here before me did all that work and left and started his own gig

if you know how to weed and lay vinyl but dont know how to set up and cut it what good is it for owning a sign shop as a sole owner?

thats the point im getting at...

it just simply amazes me how words and phrases are twisted around by some people like this is the game of telephone.

but i thank everyone for their input even if it was a bash against me

some positives did come out of the bashing even if you did try to humiliate me or try to make me feel like i have no right to buy this company or open my own shop.

but once again thank you all for the help and ideas

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.

+1 to that. When it comes to start-ups it's always a consideration of initial investment vs existing customer base. A lot of businesses fail because they do not have the needed capital to sustain themselves through the customer base buildup period which with word of mouth can sustain a business. So for that small amount of cost ... it may be worth the repeat customer base. Sadly, I would see if he would part with 12k as the expected return on investment for 6k dollars worth of equiment to ME would be 6 months with an income paid out in the mean time. As far as this being a part time business ... I would always suggest going out on your own would probably be better since you could build up a customer base on your own pricing/reputation/merits without worrying about making a profit on investment in the first year. Basically start small, get your basic equipment and as you sell more and more specific jobs, get the specific equipment needed for such jobs with a portion of the equipment covered in the margin of the job at all times that equipment is being used.

Either way ... you need to do a little more research into the company and probably need to be a little more competent at the job than being an average sticker monkey to make any real profits or return on investment. ... software does not a designer make.