• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

"...But we don't want to spend a lot..."

2B

When that is heard, I typcially reply with
"GREAT!!!, our banner material is our most budget minded approach, what size so I can get you a price".

Their reply will determine if the conversation stops or continues

Johnny Best

I have talked with sign makers who have life-time clients. Some have told me that often those "business friends" just say, "Send me the bill."

I don't have to talk to anyone on that subject, because I am that kind of business with life-time clients. They do not ask price, they just want the service they request. And I don't have to be their friend, just an business acquaintance.

SeeEmWhyKay

Print Plug & Pigment Procurer
Yeah now theres a great way to gain clients. Be a pompous a-hole. Can we just be normal? That's what people want, normal vendors, normal sales reps and normal customers. None of this weirdness

I've been in the sign business for 15 years- you gotta be kinda weird to want to be in this industry :pThat being said, if you don't know how to gauge your customers' interest, communications skills and budget within the first 2-3 touches- you shouldn't be in sales. At this juncture, I can tell when someone is just trying to juice me by their body language when they walk in the door. Then usually comes the skeptical attitude and the haggle. I reiterate what it is they are asking of me, they confirm, I tell them my price and what's required. If they cry about it, I stay firm. 9/10 times after shopping me out they come back much more contrite, or they send their much more pleasant wives or office staff.

It is what it is, 80/20 rule and all that.

De.signs Nanaimo

I had a customer once came in to get a quote on a home business sign, two sided MDO, full colour print both sides, painted edges and we quoted him about $150 or so and it was about 15 years ago. He called us criminals and cursed us on the way out of the shop, he showed up two weeks later to order the sign, as according to him we were actually the cheapest price in town.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I had a customer once came in to get a quote on a home business sign, two sided MDO, full colour print both sides, painted edges and we quoted him about $150 or so and it was about 15 years ago. He called us criminals and cursed us on the way out of the shop, he showed up two weeks later to order the sign, as according to him we were actually the cheapest price in town.

Never had anyone come back and tell me I was the cheapest, but maybe the best turnaround or best quality.

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
Wait a minute, Robert..... you're re-inventing the storyline and adding your own baggage to begin a new story. Like I said the other day, the facts are the facts and the baggage you bring to the table doesn't enter into the scenario.

"...But we don't want to spend a lot..." this is the title of this thread and what has taken place and where the conversation has escalated to. Before that, we can only guess, but from here on out..... is what matters. Evidently, by listening, you should know, things are not gonna go well for you or your business, so do you waste time making conversation ?? Or cut your losses and make the customer decide if he's gonna cough up the money or just leave ??

If I am going to be the one to enlighten someone and give them an audience, they need to be showing me more than lip service and a bad
attitude.

I'll give you, there are times when you need to engage in conversation(s) and pull things outta of a potential customer, but this hardly seems like the one. They need to be showing signs of listening also, and hear what you're saying. Not demanding how you run your
business, especially in the billing department.
Gino Let's pick up on an important detail in your reply. "They need to be showing signs of listening also..."
To make it short, start by letting them know that you are listening.

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
I don't have to talk to anyone on that subject, because I am that kind of business with life-time clients. They do not ask price, they just want the service they request. And I don't have to be their friend, just an business acquaintance.
Johnny Best At some point, your "life-time clients" were first-timers. All I am attempting to focus on is the possiblity that a new first-timer might become a life-time client.

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
I had a customer email today asking for more signs they got on corrugated plastic, but this time they wanted it to be more rigid, harder wearing and the same price..

I’d also like to trade my car for a better model and pay the same price, how do I do that?

SeeEmWhyKay

Print Plug & Pigment Procurer

ah yes, the arrogant and ignorant customer- always a pleasure to deal with :rolleyes:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
See Robert, you're doing it once again. You're changing facts to meet your agenda. My whole post there, had to do with one thing in mind. The fact that you already know he's a cheap-skate. You, on the other hand, took my one sentence that said, in a different set of circumstances it could possibly go your way. However, it is a different set of circumstances. So, no..... you don't get a pass on this blind-sided shot. It does not exist.

As for you comeback to Johnny Best...... of course there is a first time. There's a first time for everything. your first breath, your first kiss, your first ...... well, you get the picture. However, most life-time customers did not start out beating you over the brow by dictating to you... how you were gonna do business with him. You negotiated. It's called conversation, which entails listening and comprehension. Not beating a vendor into submission.

My very first customer came to me.... at my house, and wanted me to start making all of his signs. I said I would not do business with him, because he was my boss's customer and I wouldn't do that to my boss.. He said, aren't you going out on your own ?? Yes. Well, if you're not there, I won't be going to him anymore, as I want you to do my signs. If you don't want to do them, I'll hafta go somewhere else. He waited about 5 seconds and said, make sense. Okay, I'll d your signs. He wasn't being cheap, but honest and my ethics kinda got in the way, but as time went on, when I made that move, many of my old boss's customers looked me up and became my customers. That was 1981 when I broke off on my own. He's still with me and so are many others after all these years. I've been doing of these people's signs since about 1972 and 73, but on my own since '81. So, it pays to know when to listen and shut-up, but with an attitude, it won't happen, regardless of what's about to happen.

Now, you may say..... if I hadn't listened, I never would've gotten those accounts, but that's exactly what I'm trying to relay to you...... one knows when to shut up and listen..... Some on this site do not seem to have that same characteristic.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Graduate of Robert's school.

67c12a07-75d3-4fd0-94c5-ce5292b5ccd5.jpg

Stacey K

I like making signs
Sometimes when I'm crabby because I have actual customers who are willing to pay my already reasonable prices I say, "I'm sure you know someone with a Cricket, they can likely do it cheaper."

I'm already bogged down with work, no patience for cheap jerks, "Ain't nobody got time for dat!"

Stacey K

I like making signs
Robert, some of the worst first time cheap/Ahole/otherwise customers who walk in the door and leave, come back and become customers BECAUSE you put your foot down the first time.

A couple months ago I put my foot down with a customer requesting a ridiculous amount of pricing options for 50 can coozies - and of course it was a rush order and "I can get it XXX for this". I basically said "take it or leave it, right now because I don't have time for this" She left it. I felt bad because I was a B***H. On the other hand, I had forgotten my sleeping bag and the concrete floor is cold. If I mess around too long with little things like that, I won't get my work done and will only be taking short naps in the shop to meet deadlines. To my surprise she placed a large apparel order with me yesterday.

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
Good things are seldom cheap, and Cheap things are seldom good.

Andy -IMO asking for someones budget is just showing proper respect for the project. Sales is a very noble profession and a good salesperson knows that budgets pretty much drive the bus. If a persons expectations or wants exceed the allotted budget, its an opportunity to come up with alternate solutions or change the expectations with clear and honest information. Makes for much better and longer term relationships. And it does happen that you might have to refer them to a competitor, thats OK in some instances.

Spot on.

Here's my price. Here's why my price is what it is. Here's what I can do to lower it if this doesn't meet your budget.

You should always be looking at ways to lower cost if you consider yourself a production shop. If you sell yourself on being an artist, you should always be looking at ways to improve your brand and raise the value your customers get for the money. This is the game we play.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Yeah now theres a great way to gain clients. Be a pompous a-hole. Can we just be normal? That's what people want, normal vendors, normal sales reps and normal customers. None of this weirdness
Not to paint with an overly-broad racist paintbrush but I have some Korean customers that seem to take it as an insult if I do not treat them badly. They like the aggressive back and forth. I had one guy leave the store pretty much yelling that the price was too high. I figured - good, I don't need to deal with him anymore. Not only did he come back and we worked out a price - he came with his friend that wanted some work done on a taxi.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Not to paint with an overly-broad racist paintbrush but I have some Korean customers that seem to take it as an insult if I do not treat them badly. They like the aggressive back and forth. I had one guy leave the store pretty much yelling that the price was too high. I figured - good, I don't need to deal with him anymore. Not only did he come back and we worked out a price - he came with his friend that wanted some work done on a taxi.

Hummmm..I had a similar experience with a South Korean... He was yelling and I about told him to get out of my store. Came back, worked out a deal and had been a good customer for years after that.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Hummmm..I had a similar experience with a South Korean... He was yelling and I about told him to get out of my store. Came back, worked out a deal and had been a good customer for years after that.
I'm pretty sure most of my customers are also South Korean, at least I think they are.
But, my son did play on a North Korean under 14 soccer team when they came for a Pacific area tournament and about half their team got delayed with entry document issues. They lost to Japan.