Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Butch Anton's Frogjuice Supplier

Discussion in 'Product and Supplier Referrals' started by Kottwitz-Graphics, Nov 8, 2013.

1. Kottwitz-Graphics

Kottwitz-Graphics Very Active Member

Sep 25, 2006
    Ridgely, MD
    I am working on a project, and I was refered to Frog Juice as a clear (over gold leafing)...

Is there anywhere on the east coast that carries it?

Tags:
  2. Vinylman

Vinylman Very Active Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Berlin Center, Ohio
    Frog Juice

I thank you can order it from Pioneer Supply

3. Billct2

Billct2 Major Contributor

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    Garston

4. TammieH

TammieH Very Active Member

Nov 28, 2011
    Pacific NW
    Why do you want to clear coat the Gold Leaf?

Is this for a car or boat?

You normally do NOT clear coat gold leaf, it will kill the sheen/the look of the gold leaf.

5. Kottwitz-Graphics

Sep 25, 2006
    Ridgely, MD
    I was advised by a vendor that any gold less than 8' should be cleared to prevent the oils from fingers tarnishing it. The sign is on a podium as you enter a restaurant.

Have I been told wrong info (to possibly sell me something I don't need)?

6. Techman

Techman Major Contributor

Jun 24, 2003
    michigan
    who told you that?
    Any clear will work indoors. A couple of light mist of a coat will work. But you have to be aware that it could cause a failure of the size. The clear solvent and the gold size may not be compatible.

Anyway. Frog Juice
    I used it for a while. Not even a half a can.
    It flaked and yellowed etc after time.

7. Kottwitz-Graphics

Sep 25, 2006
    Ridgely, MD
    letterheadsignsupply.com

And frog juice turned yellow? The information that I read on it says that it is non yellowing...

8. Billct2

Billct2 Major Contributor

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    I haven't used frogjuice to clear hand gilding, but I've cleared lots of edge prints on signgold with it with no problems.
    The only hand gilding I have cleared has been boat lettering which was varnished, like 8 coats, by the boat owner.
    I would hope that letterhead supply would give good recommendations since it's their specialty.

9. bob

bob Major Contributor

Nov 4, 2005
    earth
    Gold does not tarnish. Ever.

One clear coats actual gold leaf because it's ~.00003" thick, that's ~1/300,000", and extremely fragile. But fragile as it is, it still does not tarnish. I have no idea how thick that actual gold might be on on the various gold vinyl products but it's likely to be a bit thicker than gold leaf.

Regardless, tarnish is not a player. Abrasion might be. but not tarnish.

10. Richard G

Richard G Member

Of coarse I am a little bias but i just loves that frog juice!!!!!!! Seriously last year we wrapped a black smart car in vinyl with no lam and sent it down to Art Basil in Miami and an artist went to town on it, when they got done we used frog juice (mm mmm good) sorry.. to cover the car and it's still out there without any problems from the juice. Next month we will be doing a Prototype Porsche for the same outfit.

Attached Files:

11. visual800

visual800 Very Active Member

Aug 4, 2010
    montgomery, alabama
    Frogjuice sucks we shall classify it with one shot

12. TammieH

TammieH Very Active Member

Nov 28, 2011
    Pacific NW
    You DO NOT want to put a clear coat on gold leaf, it will kill the brilliance ...if you do not believe me, test first.

If you are applying gold leaf to a car or boat then you need to clear coat it for protection.