• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Butch Anton's Frogjuice Supplier

Kottwitz-Graphics

I am working on a project, and I was refered to Frog Juice as a clear (over gold leafing)...

Is there anywhere on the east coast that carries it?

TammieH

Why do you want to clear coat the Gold Leaf?

Is this for a car or boat?

You normally do NOT clear coat gold leaf, it will kill the sheen/the look of the gold leaf.

Kottwitz-Graphics

Why do you want to clear coat the Gold Leaf?

Is this for a car or boat?

You normally do NOT clear coat gold leaf, it will kill the sheen/the look of the gold leaf.

I was advised by a vendor that any gold less than 8' should be cleared to prevent the oils from fingers tarnishing it. The sign is on a podium as you enter a restaurant.

Have I been told wrong info (to possibly sell me something I don't need)?

Techman

who told you that?
Any clear will work indoors. A couple of light mist of a coat will work. But you have to be aware that it could cause a failure of the size. The clear solvent and the gold size may not be compatible.

Anyway. Frog Juice
I used it for a while. Not even a half a can.
It flaked and yellowed etc after time.

Billct2

I haven't used frogjuice to clear hand gilding, but I've cleared lots of edge prints on signgold with it with no problems.
The only hand gilding I have cleared has been boat lettering which was varnished, like 8 coats, by the boat owner.
I would hope that letterhead supply would give good recommendations since it's their specialty.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
I was advised by a vendor that any gold less than 8' should be cleared to prevent the oils from fingers tarnishing it. The sign is on a podium as you enter a restaurant.

Have I been told wrong info (to possibly sell me something I don't need)?

Gold does not tarnish. Ever.

One clear coats actual gold leaf because it's ~.00003" thick, that's ~1/300,000", and extremely fragile. But fragile as it is, it still does not tarnish. I have no idea how thick that actual gold might be on on the various gold vinyl products but it's likely to be a bit thicker than gold leaf.

Regardless, tarnish is not a player. Abrasion might be. but not tarnish.

Richard G

Of coarse I am a little bias but i just loves that frog juice!!!!!!! Seriously last year we wrapped a black smart car in vinyl with no lam and sent it down to Art Basil in Miami and an artist went to town on it, when they got done we used frog juice (mm mmm good) sorry.. to cover the car and it's still out there without any problems from the juice. Next month we will be doing a Prototype Porsche for the same outfit.

Attachments

• All-Sides.jpg
    All-Sides.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 130

TammieH

You DO NOT want to put a clear coat on gold leaf, it will kill the brilliance ...if you do not believe me, test first.

If you are applying gold leaf to a car or boat then you need to clear coat it for protection.