• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Buy local?

GoodPeopleFlags

Many years ago, I was asked to quote 25 banners for the town my shop was in. The banners said, Shop Madison First. I lost the job to a shop in another town because they were $5 less than me per banner. The town didn't ask me to price match. I just started seeing the banners up all over town so I asked.

Deaton Design

This is a tough one:

Do you want your politician spend money wisely or buy everything local, regardless of cost?

Why just limit to signs? Milk, clothing, gas, cars, TVs......

Do you sell to local customers ONLY? I don't. I'd be broke. Protectionism do not work.

Yes I do. They receive their salaries from the taxes we pay as citizens. If they buy their signs, clothing, cars, etc. out of town, how in the heck does that help the same area they represent?
And actually, I do occasionally get business from outside my county, but not much, and I aint broke. Everyone here is always preaching, Buy Local. Keep Your Money at Home, but alot of them dont practice it.

Deaton Design

I do strongly advocate buying local, but I don't think it's always the customer's fault. Just because a sign shop is just around the corner, doesn't mean that it should automatically get all the local business.

What happens when you Google "Signs in [insert town name here]" do you come up to the top? If one of your out of state competitors do, then that's not the customer's fault if they pick someone else. How about Yahoo? The phone book? In their mailbox?

This is true with every business, but especially true with politicians. When they register to be on the ballot, they immediately go on a list. That list is picked up by dozens retail political sign printers, many out of state. They'll call, email and send catalogs to gain top of mind awareness right out of the gate. Then when the politician has raised his money, he already has someone in mind.

And yes, townships using local tax dollars to buy anything out of town that is manufactured locally frustrates me too, but the buyers are only human. They don't know every business in town, and they have strict budgets to work within.

I'm only saying this because I run my business this way. Instead of making a customer out to be evil because they don't buy from you, ask yourself why. Why did I lose that sale? Why did they order signs from 450 miles away. Why didn't they even call for a quote? I'll bet dollars to dimes that if you called that politician, or the city of Montgomery and asked them why, they would tell you they either didn't know you offered that kind of product, or that they did call, and someone out of state with a different set of strengths and efficiencies beat your price, and possibly service/speed by a margin that was important to them and those they answer to.

I don't want to pick a fight, but business is earned by those who go out and look for it.

P.S. I understand there are jerks out there that can't be worked with, and this guy might be one of those. If that's the case, why would it bother you at all that you didn't have to work with him. Good riddance I would say. :smile:
IVe been in business her for 30 years. Im very well known, and they know what I do. Ive even worked for this fella before,and he was pleased with price, work, etc. All the reasons you listed are just a cop out. We have several sign makers in the county, and this fella by passed them all. I really dont care if he can beat the price either. If he can, it wont be by enough for him to not even consider the local sign people.But Im pretty sure thats why he did, because these were screen printed and they can get them cheaper in bulk. Im not greedy, never have been. If I had been, I would probably be rich now. I just think that people, especially politicians that depend on US for their salaries, should return the favor and keep the local businesses going also.

btropical.com

Wall of text wow !

John he is right just like when you see an attorneys chasing ambulances that guy gets the payday. And lets not forget scammers that watch the obits to fraud old widows . Oh and John you might as well throw that Small Business Saturday shop local **** out the window also .

Justin

I agree they should buy local. If they buy local it helps everyone, even the shipping companies(you buying supplies, and then your supplier buying their supplies, etc..)

When I get up, and going 100% I'm going to call out these people. If they expect me to buy from them instead of going online I expect the same. It all trickles down.. States buys from within state-hires people-that company hires people/buys stuff, etc..

threeputt

Burn his *** on craigslist rant and rave s tell everyone what he is doing and if you can find a picture of the said politician with a kid sandwiched between him and a """""""" you are golden . And if there is a way to put 3 head on shrimp in the parade car he rides in ................... just saying

You sound totally unprofessional and bush league at that!

The other thing you're suggesting is not right either.

This is about a lost order. About a man who (rightfully or not) chose to do business with someone other than the original poster. Jesus and Mary, get some help.

Fatboy

John don't feel too bad.
We are 3hrs flight time away from the Philippines and are constantly asked to price match a 3rd world country with no minimum wage.
We just finished wrapping a truck for a guy running for the legislature here.
While going over the details he was very concerned with us being able to hit the colors he wanted. Our scaled down sample was dead on but he explained that his PI printers ran 3 full runs of his billboard signs and had told him that that they could not control the color as the size of the output got bigger......

wayne k
guam usa

I here people say this all the time.."third world country" and it gets to me.Please explain what you mean by that and why do you use that phrase?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I agree with you 110%, John.

There are those times when not making yourself known might hurt, but when you're talking about local people who schmooze the crap out of ya how they're gonna build up the neighborhood, bring jobs back and cut taxes.... why don't they practice what the preach ??

I'm gonna tell ya why.

These politicians, phone companies, insurance companies and other service type business hire misfits to work for them thus fulfilling their obligation of hiring the minorities and keeping the peace. These same people manning the phones and looking for contributions and anything they can get cheap or free by calling.... usually don't have a clue as to what it takes to run a successful campaign or business model. So, spending someone else's money gives them a feeling of power and they can dictate where and how this money will be spent.... wisely of foolishly.... that doesn't matter. You can't reprimand someone for doing their job, no matter how stoopidly they are at performing it.

How many times have you answered the phone, only to hear someone give you a spiel on something you don't want and when you interject a question.... it completely stops them in their tracks ?? They hear you, they know the words, but don't understand what you are asking, because they are too stoopid for their job ??

These are the people that look for numbers when ordering signs, but don't know a thing about freight, how many, what size, where from or any other particular that might keep a sale local. They feel so good about doing something stoopid that they otherwise can't do in their own life..... waste money.

btropical.com

You sound totally unprofessional and bush league at that!

The other thing you're suggesting is not right either.

This is about a lost order. About a man who (rightfully or not) chose to do business with someone other than the original poster. Jesus and Mary, get some help.

Hey I could care less what you think ! I aint never screwed over no one that did not have it coming . And this politician needs to be outed for what he is doing . I am sure the laid back take it in the *** deal is good for you not here , not ever .

Locals Find!

I here people say this all the time.."third world country" and it gets to me.Please explain what you mean by that and why do you use that phrase?

3rd world countries are those countries with a lack of modern infrastructure. Things like Electricity, running water etc...

Developing Nations are those who are leaving the 3rd world stage and are developing or attempting to develop a modern infrastructure.

South Africa is NOT a Third World or a Developing Nation. Your a Developed Nation and have been for quite some time.

Hope that explains it a bit better.

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
But Im pretty sure thats why he did, because these were screen printed and they can get them cheaper in bulk.

That's exactly my point though. Someone out of state has a different production method that makes the signs more cost effectively. (The difference between applying vinyl or digitally printing 250 signs for example vs screen printing 1 or 2 color on them could easily be thousands of dollars)

And if this isn't the case, and he does in fact know you on a positive level, and you're within a few percentage points cost -and he still didn't want to work with you then he's a jerk and shouldn't muddy your front step.

Forget him. Help his competition win.

Fatboy

3rd world countries are those countries with a lack of modern infrastructure. Things like Electricity, running water etc...

Developing Nations are those who are leaving the 3rd world stage and are developing or attempting to develop a modern infrastructure.

South Africa is NOT a Third World or a Developing Nation. Your a Developed Nation and have been for quite some time.

Hope that explains it a bit better.

Thank you Addie. But if a country is 3rd world how can they compete.Or do we just assume they are 3rd world because of cultural differenses?

parrott

We do a ton of political work and I can promise you, it is a down and dirty market. Unless your a screen printer or you are running a $1m flatbed, you will never compete.

Valleysigns

Political

Chicago, I'm in Nevada and just lost two orders to your State. Free freight wholesale price to the public, very small set-up charge. Wait for the "Can you help me with a tommorrow order for a sticker" or your not supporting the youth....

Locals Find!

Thank you Addie. But if a country is 3rd world how can they compete.Or do we just assume they are 3rd world because of cultural differenses?

That is a bigger political question than can reasonably be discussed here. The short & sweet answer is there are many 3rd world countries that have somewhat modern infrastructure in a few large cities usually these are supported by Criminal Activities both in Government and Private life. Some of these organizations run legitimate businesses. The laws and morals of these countries are different then what we have in more civilized nations. These are the countries that run sweat shops, child labor, etc... The rules are all different. So they can compete on price because, they don't have the same rules governing there actions that many of us do.

The term has nothing to do with cultural differences, however those differences do play a part in them remaining 3rd world countries.

TheSnowman

I hear ya John. I love it when a political party will come in and say "we're trying to get this person elected so they can help you, but you need to back us up" and they want everything for free or else they walk out the door. I never give in, because I have to stay in business. A few weeks later, I'll see some hack job signs up all over the place, that you can 99% assume they got online because even a bad hack sign shop wouldn't put stuff out that bad, or I've even seen the website address tiny at the bottom of the signs before.

It's sad...and it shouldn't really bother us, cause we're all guilty at one time or another...but I guess in my opinion, I don't go to my local hardware store and ask for stuff for free or discounted. If I don't like the price, I go where I want, and don't make a mega stink about it.

In every case possible, I support the people who support me. If I lose every election bid that comes through the door, and one of those people comes back again asking me to support their kids baseball team...I basically just remind them that they haven't come to me for anything but a handout, and haven't ever been willing to support me, and that I support other organizations when I'm handing out money.

signswi

Using the term "third world" to define economic differences is a modernism and not accurate to the historic meaning, it's also a really unfortunate term and best avoided. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_World

Developed/Developing is the right way to describe it now and it doesn't relate to the old term "third world". It's based on the HDI https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_Development_Index
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_Human_Development_Index

You can see S.A. falls right in the middle :). Would love to visit some time, from my limited exposure the cultural vibrancy is quite something.