• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Buying a second hand cutter

worthy1

Hi all,

How an you ensure you are getting good condition second hand cutter

I am looking at second hand Roland GX-400. Were there any differences over the years in the GX range e.g updated versions?

Are there any adverse effects you can expect if it has been stored unused for a number of years e.g bearing oil going bad or drying up?

How can you test if the machine is still tracking ok?

Not sure if they exist but a checklist for what to check when purchasing a second hand cutter would be handy.

Thanks

Techman

most good cutters have a test feature on the menu.. Find it and it will cut a small circle or square to test its operation

player

I would also want to cut a bunch of thin strips to see how it tracks over a length. I have not been using a cutter (other than the one in my Roland) for years so I don't know what to gauge that test on, but I am sure someone here will know how long and thin it should be able to repeat.

rjssigns

Personally I would hook it up and run the wee out of it. Complex cuts with fine detail, long plots etc... If the seller won't let you do that run away.

TXFB.INS

in addition to the other suggestions you may want to also check it on different materials, calendared, cast, thicker and reflective

Flexi would be perfect for this. As alot of others probably are also. But you should set up a complex file of shapes and small text large text and large straight lines. Then once you know the plotter you want to go check out. Download the appropriate drivers and go in with a roll of vinyl and try it out. If they won't let you plug it in and try it I wouldn't buy it.

worthy1

Thanks for the tips.

It has been in storage for 2 years so wasnt sure if there would be issues with things like the oil in the bearings drying up or anything. Will make sure i get them to show me some complex cutting and a long line to make sure the tracking is working properly

worthy1

All good questions and the reason for my original post to find out what i should be asking/checking for.

Of course the owner will probably answer the 'right' way for all those questions so are you able to list the effects of those player so i can check for them?

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Obviously a bit off topic, but we've purchased all four of our used Gerbers on eBay (photos only, no testing) and they've worked well. I guess you could calculate the cost of a "worst case scenario" and compare that to what something new would cost.

One other option would be to purchase a good used trade-in that has a warranty.

JB

Andy D

If it has a pen, I would start with plot paper or even butcher paper and send a long
& complicated plot including long thin strips as player mentioned. If that all looked good
I probably do some vinyl plotting too.