• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Buying a UV Printer, what do you suggest

Looking at purchasing a new or slightly used UV printer that will least print 4' by 8' panels. Fan of the Roland line, but at 90k for the flatbed version, I am open to other brands. Anyone know of a brand that has done you well, but costs less. Thank you kindly.

TimToad

The obvious questions are:

Do you already have a busier than average shop doing a large enough volume of flatbed type printing to justify the investment both monetarily and space wise?

Do you have a fairly large, CLEAN space for this type of printer and the electrical infrastructure to support it?

Are you prepared for the higher electrical usage? Ink costs?

Staff needs? Are you or your staff prepared to learn how to properly run, maintain and clean a machine like this?

Sindex Printing

We had purchased the mutoh 1638uh. We got the strange machine that just could not be fixed. We had it installed in August 2018 and 5 service call later and hours of time on the phone with the techs. They decided to replace the machine with a new one. We the printer was working it produced amazing results. Which ever brand you go with I would suggest finding who has the best service and warranty in your area.

Bly

I will try that. I wanted to have a message with someone that had one. I guess I could message them from that thread.

I see you're new here.
How about reading some of the existing threads about flatbeds and come back with more specific questions.
Most people will recommend what they own.
We have an Arizona 660xt.
I think you should buy one of those. :)

Sindex makes a very good point re service.
Once you invest in one of these printers you'll find your business relies on them quite heavily & any downtime will affect you severely.
So a service contract with specified response times might make sense.

100% totally new here and to the sign business, so I will learn how to work the search forum function. Be honest we are still kind of lost in the sign world, considering we have not even figured out how to print scrim banners, without manually holding each side. Somehow we will have the first machine paid off in five months. I just love this business though, which is totally different than my CPA practice. I will check the Arizona 660 out.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Well, at least he's being honest. :goodpost:

Like mentioned, people are gonna basically refer to what they have, know and trust. It'll just be an opinion based on emotions.

Your best bet would be to take some of your best files and go to a sign show or two and mingle. Today, they're nothing but a glorified digital print show, anyway. Very little about signs themselves. So, look at what you like and find the best deal closest to you as the machine is the little bucks, it's upkeep, maintenance and tech support which follows that'll be the important part. Oh yeah..... and if you're entertaining getting something like this, make sure you have the real estate to support it properly.

DerbyCitySignGuy

Well, since you're a new shop, I'm gonna guess a swissQprint is out of your price range. That's the "best" true flatbed out there.

In all honesty though, unless you've already got a big client that requires you to own and operate a true flatbed, you're going to be better served by a hybrid. They're the "jack of all trades" when it comes to printers. You can do a little bit of everything on them. They also fall somewhere between roll to roll and a flatbeds on price.

Here's some unsolicited advice: never get a plotter/printer combo. I know some people swear by them, but you'll never regret having two separate machines for printing and plotting. There will be a time, probably at 2am or on a weekend, when you'll be cursing your printer/plotter and wishing you had two separate machines. If you already have a printer/plotter, forget everything I just wrote. You'll love it. They're great and save a bunch of space.

MikePro

ISA SignExpo in Las Vegas is right around the corner! If you're spending that kinda $$$ on a printer, would definitely be worth the trip to see all the worth brand-name printers chuggin' away side-by-side.

Aflac

Looking at purchasing a new or slightly used UV printer that will least print 4' by 8' panels. Fan of the Roland line, but at 90k for the flatbed version, I am open to other brands. Anyone know of a brand that has done you well, but costs less. Thank you kindly.
I have a Roland I'm looking to get rid of....Ill DM you

FloraUSA

Master Distributor of Flora UV Printers in the US
We have three different options for our 4'x8' printers. The PP2512UV with 2 Ricoh Gen5 print heads starts around $70,000 and unlike other printers in it's price range, additional print heads can be added at any time to increase its print speed. The next step up would be the PP2512UV with the Konica Minolta 1024i print heads, this configuration starts around $85,000 and comes standard with 4 print heads. Finally we have the Xtra2512LED starting around $90,000 and comes standard with 4 print heads.

All of these printers are a true 4'x8' flatbed capable of printing up to 3.9" thick. The PP2512UV also has the optional Roll to Roll attachment enabling you to print up to 96" wide roll stock.

Currently I am actually in Florence, AL area installing an Xtra2512LED with 12 Konica Minolta 1024i print heads. This customer upgraded from a 6 + year old Flora to the Xtra2512LED and we were printing full 4'x8' jobs in under 2 minutes on the new printer.

PM me, email sales@theaps.net or call us at (862) 437-1457 if you are interested in getting more information.

davecich

skeptical - These guys use to run CET color, and left to do this, and before left another company before that. Just sketchy to me.
tell jack i said hello.
Sir, I thank you for your post. Yes, my partner and I got in a dispute, and we separated. I started Vanguard at that time. We continued to support anyone who bought a CET, and still do. I would invite you to visit us at our new location in Atlanta any time you like, and judge us for yourself!

Dave

jay etheredge

Are you prepared for the higher electrical usage? Ink costs?

True, more electricity is used but ink cost is cut at least into 1/3 the cost of solvent printers if not less. Then you save money because you don't use Vinyl anymore, then you save money on labor because you aren't paying someone to apply the vinyl.
At shows I'd have people say they want a flatbed but speed isn't an issue till they get more business.. hahaha, Don't buy a flatbed if speed isn't an issue. Often the small sign shop owner says they don't care about labor costs because he and his wife do all the labor. Super small thinking, if you are stuck doing labor, you aren't selling and or marketing your business.
Buy a flatbed, hire someone to run it, take care of him so he doesn't quit, then get off your butt and sell. Its an easy winning formula. :)

TimToad

True, more electricity is used but ink cost is cut at least into 1/3 the cost of solvent printers if not less. Then you save money because you don't use Vinyl anymore, then you save money on labor because you aren't paying someone to apply the vinyl.
At shows I'd have people say they want a flatbed but speed isn't an issue till they get more business.. hahaha, Don't buy a flatbed if speed isn't an issue. Often the small sign shop owner says they don't care about labor costs because he and his wife do all the labor. Super small thinking, if you are stuck doing labor, you aren't selling and or marketing your business.
Buy a flatbed, hire someone to run it, take care of him so he doesn't quit, then get off your butt and sell. Its an easy winning formula. :)

We're not all In this craft to do mass production of quickie, semi-temporary signs.

Some of us aren't plotting how to or are situated somewhere just to try and become the next Signs365.

Bigger, faster and more indebted doesn't equal "winning" or even success if you're in the race to the bottom trying to emulate the folks selling 18"x24"s for $5 each..

jay etheredge

Um..... Wow, where do I start... How about this, GREAT! Then a flatbed isn't for you. Its that simple. Heck, sign making isn't for me at all,just logic. There is absolutely nothing wrong with any style or size of printing operation you have if you can make it work. The thread is about flatbed UV printers or so I thought. That said, if your not into mass production, it still doesn't make sense to print dog slow half the day then do marketing the second half of the day. Anyone that has a business should be in business to make money, otherwise, just mortgage your home buy a printer and print once a week.

A print shop where the boss does everything doesn't make enough to buy a flatbed, and chances are it won't. I have installed over 300 flatbeds in 5 or so years, many are sign shops, some are high end fine art printers, some print play yards, back boards, wedding pictures, you name it. Most, if not 85-90% of them want the prints printed as fast as possible.

So what are you saying, you took exception to my 2 cents because you like to print slow all day and do marketing at night? I don't get your argument.

TimToad

Um..... Wow, where do I start... How about this, GREAT! Then a flatbed isn't for you. Its that simple. Heck, sign making isn't for me at all,just logic. There is absolutely nothing wrong with any style or size of printing operation you have if you can make it work. The thread is about flatbed UV printers or so I thought. That said, if your not into mass production, it still doesn't make sense to print dog slow half the day then do marketing the second half of the day. Anyone that has a business should be in business to make money, otherwise, just mortgage your home buy a printer and print once a week.

A print shop where the boss does everything doesn't make enough to buy a flatbed, and chances are it won't. I have installed over 300 flatbeds in 5 or so years, many are sign shops, some are high end fine art printers, some print play yards, back boards, wedding pictures, you name it. Most, if not 85-90% of them want the prints printed as fast as possible.

So what are you saying, you took exception to my 2 cents because you like to print slow all day and do marketing at night? I don't get your argument.

Wow! Where do I start?

Did they teach you in sales school how to condescend to and patronize people who simply point out that not every shop wants or needs a flatbed printer?

Your presumptions about people are insulting and I can't wait to find out who you sell printers for. I'm sure your employers would not be thrilled to see how you disrespect potential clients.

FWIW, we have a flatbed printer and a couple other large format printers and rarely miss miss a deadline because of slow equipment.