• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Buying USED plotter equipment.. Your thoughts?

jiarby

Well, if you are working somewhere with a Mimaki, a CNC, & Flexi it may be that they will not take kindly to your after hours ventures into the business.... you might find yourself unemployed.

coyote

we bought a used Gerber IVB-20 years ago, used it until just last year....I've no problem with used plotters. If it's working when you look at it, it's gonna work when you get it home.

Plus, where else will you find a used piece of equipment being sold by someone who has a solid reputation and the kudos of the other members of a forum?

Happy Earth Day-recycle.
C

Techman

look at the wear strip. That is foten a good indication of the machine.. If it shows a little wear and its the original.. then you good. If it shows a well worn groove then its time to change the strip and the machine is well used but not loved. If that groove is smooth then its well worn. If the groove is ragged that shows blade terror.

Wear strips last a long time if they are never subjected to the blade.

OldPaint

i have had NOTHING BUT ROLANDS..........
1992, i bought a PNC-1000 USED (sarge)guy i got it from went to a show somewhere, and wound up given somebody all his money, for this plotter, a program called LETTER ART 5.0, and a 386 computer and monitor all NEW.
anyway i give the guy $1600.00 for the plotter, he wanted to sell me the LETTER ART, but told him i didnt need as i knew how to cut from corel. SO HE GIVE ME THE PROGRAM, and what he had in vinyl, and tranfer tape.
THIS USED plotter, remained in my possession till 99 or 2001, dont remember exactly, but it PAID FOR ITSELF and never hada problem.
then i got another USED ROLAND from ebay. the PNC-1000 was only a 15 or 20" cutter, and now i was waiting on it to cut material so i decided to look for a 24" with a little more speed. i got a PNC-1100 24" 35 ips machine for $1000.00 when i got it from the owner i had a little problem with the cutter head wire strip and i called the previous owner, he kindly took my address, called roland and sent me a new one wich he paid for. and that machine is still running today, as i just sold it last summer.
when i started the MOBILE SIGN SHOP, i wanted another plotter to have in it, went on ebay, and bid on another PNC-1100. got it for $1100. and it IS STILL WORKING EVERY DAY......as i sold BOTH TO THE SAME PERSON.
because i happened to find a great deal on a USED ROLAND CX-300..........which i have not had a lick of trouble with.
so the point of my rant........USED ROLANDS NEVER GIVE YA PROBLEMS, and most people who sell em will atest to their value.

Cadmn

One question I have if you Invest in a cutter is there enough work to make the money back & profit or are you just swapping money around. Others in your area might be able to assist in this thought process, I've read cut vinyl was a lost cause anymore?
either way good luck!

sarge

he can do well in that area if he applies himself .. work wont walk in the door, so he will need a good marketing plan . i have 2 plotters that run pretty much 12 hours a day 7 days a week .. there is a lot of work out there if your willing and able to go get it .. at the cost of those plotters he can make his money back in 1 street fair

ddarlak

Go Bills!
Are you a carney, sarge?

lol

this reminded me of years ago i took the boys to a cheesy 5 ride carnival down the street at the fire department. there was a guy running the cheesy-ride with the worst homemade tattoo : carny power with a lighting bolt over the top.....

it was so bad it looked good....

briderx

I have some business already. As for it making a profit? That's unknown until I try. Honestly, if the machine pays itself off, I'd be content. I have a few ideas, and a few customers (friends/such) that are patiently waiting.

ALSO, about my work caring? No.. Actually, it's kind of funny.. There have been so many that have come through our shop. They started with nothing, and left with their own business. I openly talked to my boss about my idea. Told him that it would be a side venture, and that all products and customers would come from me, not the shop..

Our shop is mainly custom signs.. We did the EQC @ I-5 last year. That was the largest sign we have done. I routed about 90% of the sign. Pretty sweet. So, they are KIND OF in another business altogether, but yet same....??

briderx

Oh, as for weird carney tattoos.. I saw one, this dude had it on his forehead.. It was faded, so I am PRETTY sure it was real. It was "99.9 KISW" big red square. The dude looked like a typical carney, so I wasn't too surprised. Just wondered if he ever regretted it. Probably did it for Ween tickets.