• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

By Appointment Only

wctsigns

Does anyone out there just do by appointment only instead of regular 9-5 or 8-4:30 business hours? We only cater to business clients most of which call, text or email.
The walk ins we get are usually the time wasters and I would like to know if anyone has tried this before or has some thoughts on it?!

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
It's a good "rule" if you can get everyone in the shop to follow it. And it's very effective in deterring the time wasters.

Billct2

We don't get many "walk-ins", I guess it depends on your location.We are in a more commercial/industrial location. Most of the "shoppers" that contact us call first.I would think it may be difficult to implement, are you going to lock the front door and put up a sign "By Appointment Only"? Or are you going to turn them away once they've entered your business?

Pippin Decals

Well since i run a home based business all my customers know its by appt only and it works out awesome.Even new customers who contact me by facebook or by my website usually do business over the web etc.i hardly have anyone come to me.Works out great for both and not one issue for the past 2 yrs of being in business.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
On our window, next to the door it says hours 8:30 to 5:00.

Most people call before coming in and it's easy to set a time to make it convenient for you and them, but to turn someone away, cause you don't wanna be bothered..... ?? You must be swimming in work. Lucky you.

wctsigns

Thanks everyone lots of great comments! I think everyone gets it. We aren't swimming in work but since we don't do retail (we are located in an industrial area) and most of our work comes from internet, yellowpages etc this might be worth the try.:)

reQ

I will be home based June 1st. Losing store front after 7 years. I am actually excited about it! Will not miss tire kickers/time wasters etc. All my regulars do not care if i do have store front or not. Also, most of my new clients do not even stop by at the shop some times, everything is done over the phone/email etc. I talk to all my customers about being home based, which means:

1) By appointment only (i still will meet customers @ my home shop if they would like to stop by & have a coffee + discuss business)
2) I go see them, so they do not have to waste their time (All of them are happy about that, its simply more convenient for them & i also will be able to manage my time more efficient)

Do not look at it as disadvantage.

Pippin Decals

I will be home based June 1st. Losing store front after 7 years. I am actually excited about it! Will not miss tire kickers/time wasters etc. All my regulars do not care if i do have store front or not. Also, most of my new clients do not even stop by at the shop some times, everything is done over the phone/email etc. I talk to all my customers about being home based, which means:

1) By appointment only (i still will meet customers @ my home shop if they would like to stop by & have a coffee + discuss business)
2) I go see them, so they do not have to waste their time (All of them are happy about that, its simply more convenient for them & i also will be able to manage my time more efficient)

Exactly how i do it and works perfect for everyone...

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Ya know, when ya think about it........ almost all the businesses that were once door-to-door, milkman, rags man, Encyclopedia Britannica, shoe salesman, Fuller Brush man and yes, even the old-fashioned country doctor...... have all taken their business into buildings and you come see them. If you count up all the hours you will spend going to see a client, at Starbucks, Sheetz, or a mall and some of them falling through, you'll be trying to find another solution. It works for some people, but once you get busy, you won't be able to meet all these people on a whim. So, how do you pick and choose who to meet or not ?? Ya really take a chance of missing that one person who comes in with a little job...... that turns into a humdinger.

I know a lotta people who run their businesses out of their home, but it ain't always easy and you do tend to lose some things, due to size restrictions, unless ya have a large building out back. It's really hard to not mix business with pleasure/home things. Sometimes it's convenient, but generally speaking, I'd rather have a large building with walk-ins where I can control things and set a time limit with various means at our disposal.

wctsigns

That is pretty much what happens at the shop now but I want to take down the hours and come and go as I need.

wctsigns

Ya know, when ya think about it........ almost all the businesses that were once door-to-door, milkman, rags man, Encyclopedia Britannica, shoe salesman, Fuller Brush man and yes, even the old-fashioned country doctor...... have all taken their business into buildings and you come see them. If you count up all the hours you will spend going to see a client, at Starbucks, Sheetz, or a mall and some of them falling through, you'll be trying to find another solution. It works for some people, but once you get busy, you won't be able to meet all these people on a whim. So, how do you pick and choose who to meet or not ?? Ya really take a chance of missing that one person who comes in with a little job...... that turns into a humdinger.

I know a lotta people who run their businesses out of their home, but it ain't always easy and you do tend to lose some things, due to size restrictions, unless ya have a large building out back. It's really hard to not mix business with pleasure/home things. Sometimes it's convenient, but generally speaking, I'd rather have a large building with walk-ins where I can control things and set a time limit with various means at our disposal.

WildWestDesigns

Ya know, when ya think about it........ almost all the businesses that were once door-to-door, milkman, rags man, Encyclopedia Britannica, shoe salesman, Fuller Brush man and yes, even the old-fashioned country doctor...... have all taken their business into buildings and you come see them.

Then, of course, you have the farrier that everyone had to go to them to see and now they go out to their customers.

Things do change and one has to change with them. Either you change with the times or the times change you. But I digress.

To the OP:

I always believe in doing a C/B Analysis on everything. Especially when it comes to changing up how one does business. Be honest with yourself and what you value everything at.

There really is no one size fits all solution. And only you know exactly how everything is going to work with your situation.

wctsigns

My humdingers have come from the internet (companies new to the area) not usually walkins and we are a small community of 15,000 with a business area of around 50,000 so they typically call, email or text before stopping by anyway.

Johnny Best

Well I hope you post your "By Appointment Only" sign when you make it. I have only done appointments with doctors, dentists, lawyers and accountants, but hairdressers for women have been doing it for years and it seems to work for them.
So when the large man who drives a semi comes in and your talking to a little skinny guy with an appointment and you tell the big guy he has to sit down and wait his turn and make an appointment, that is going to be a good story.

wctsigns

Well I hope you post your "By Appointment Only" sign when you make it. I have only done appointments with doctors, dentists, lawyers and accountants, but hairdressers for women have been doing it for years and it seems to work for them.
So when the large man who drives a semi comes in and your talking to a little skinny guy with an appointment and you tell the big guy he has to sit down and wait his turn and make an appointment, that is going to be a good story.
Hahah it will make my "confessions of a sign maker" blog for sure.