• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cal vinyl with the least amount of shrinkage

Out There

I'm been mainly using 3m IJ35 for alot of my short/medium term outdoor signage and have also used it for a few coffee shop menu boards. However the shrinkage with this vinyl is pretty bad only after year of being printed.

Short of using cast for these outdoor menu boards, what calendared vinyl do you go for that has the least amount of shrinkage.

TheSnowman

I haven't really ever tried anything else in 6 or 7 years since I started printing, but so far 3651 is meeting/exceeding what I'm telling customers. Especially when laminated.

Out There

I've really been thinking about the 3m brewhah and switching over to Oracal's print vinyl. I have always used oracal cut vinyl and have been very happy with its performance.

The only reason I use 3m vinyl is Grimco's free shipping. Maybe it's time to give the cowboy a shot and try Oracal.

J

john1

I've really been thinking about the 3m brewhah and switching over to Oracal's print vinyl. I have always used oracal cut vinyl and have been very happy with its performance.

The only reason I use 3m vinyl is Grimco's free shipping. Maybe it's time to give the cowboy a shot and try Oracal.

All vinyls are free shipping at Grimco as far as i know, Cut vinyls, digital ones, laminates etc

J

john1

Kinda forced to use Fellers or US Cutter as i see they have good prices on some vinyls vs Fellers

J

john1

oracal 3551 laminated with 210 is a great combo for outdoor signage.

How is the shrinkage? I have used 3651/210 before and it shrinks too much for my liking. I'm about to switch to 3551RA just need to know what laminate so it won't shrink up 1/16" cause i want to use it on vehicle doors and window graphics.

The recommended laminate for the high performance calendered 3551RA is a CAST 290 but if 210 or 215 works i will use that instead.

CanuckSigns

How is the shrinkage? I have used 3651/210 before and it shrinks too much for my liking. I'm about to switch to 3551RA just need to know what laminate so it won't shrink up 1/16" cause i want to use it on vehicle doors and window graphics.

The recommended laminate for the high performance calendered 3551RA is a CAST 290 but if 210 or 215 works i will use that instead.

Like I said in my PM, 210 is the wrong laminate to use with the 3551. I wrapped a trailer using this combo 2 years ago, everyone on the board told be it was the wrong laminate for the job, i thought they were full of it, turns out they were right, the laminate shrunk back far too much.

If you want to offer a "high end calendered" vinyl, in my opinion, you can't beat General Formulations Automark with the matching laminate, saying that, it is still a calendered film, it will still shrink, but nowhere near as much as the 3551/210 combo, plus it's not as expensive.

I know avery sells 25 yard rolls of their 1005EZRS film and laminate, could be the solution if you are like me and don't go through as much wrap film as some on this board.