• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Caldera Visual Cut

airborneassault

Good Morning S101'ers!

We've been running a trial version of Caldera on our L25500 and so far we are very pleased with it. As far as printing & cutting we're having a way better time with alignment & registration.

My question is I know Caldera has the option to print a barcode for print/cut jobs but how can this be used? We're cutting on a Summa S160T with just OPOS, no camera. Could I essentially add a USB barcode scanner to our RIP station and have the functionality of the barcode? I wasn't sure if this was a question for Caldera or Summa so I thought I'd start here.

Thanks guys!
-Nathan

Suz

Hi Nate,

I don't have an answer for you, but rather a question.
Were you using Onyx prior to the Caldera trial? Just curious as I do read your posts and did not see where you mentioned what software you started with. I have Onyx 10.1 trial and getting ready to do the Caldera trial.

Re: Summa Cutter - I think that is what we will be going with eventually, so I'm very interested in what answers you get. Thanks!!!

airborneassault

Hi Suz!

We were using Onyx 10 before the Caldera trial. As I'm sure you've discovered there's no real big complaints or downfalls to Onyx, we were actually really satisfied with the way it worked but the Cut module seemed a little clumsy and we never could seem to print & cut within any decent registration. We've never had to contact Onyx support but with the trial Caldera has been so hopeful, everyone over there wants to make sure they get you fixed up in a timely fashion.

Re: the Summa - You'll definitely be hooked once you get one. We came from an old Roland print & cut machine which is like comparing apples to oranges but I'm absolutely blown away by how easy to use the machine is. For my purpose the tangential is overkill I'm sure but I got an outrageous deal on the machine. Keep in mind that besides changing RIPS no adjustments were actually made to the cutter and now we're back in registration. Thanks for your interest Suz!

bigben

I would also like to have the answer about the bar code thing. It would be great to use this with my cutter (also a summa).

Suz

Hi Suz!

We were using Onyx 10 before the Caldera trial...
-------------------------------------------------------------
Bumpety bump - for Nate - anybody know about Barcode questions he has and the Summa Cutter? Thanks! -the Hijacker
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello again Nate! Thanks very much for answering my questions. I'm so glad you are having a good experience with the Summa. I don't know how far down the road you've gone with the Caldera yet, but I ran into a speed bump the past couple days. We purchased a laptop Asus computer with AMD processor and now we are finding out the Caldera does not recommend that processor. They suggest that you use Nvidia. i have Nvidia on another desktop computer, but did not plan to give it up to turn it into a RIP station solely.

Oh, frustration! I sure don't want to get the Flexi either. Choices choices!!! I really do like the way Caldera works though. I hate it when you get a chunk of very needed information a bit too late.

What system are you running Caldera on?

airborneassault

Thanks for the morning bump Suz!

I'm like you I like the way Caldera works, it seems to fit into my workflow very nicely and works well with our latex. Good info you posted about the AMD processor I would have never known that.

To run Onyx I bought a nice PC but I've designed on our Imac (covers head from bashing) for a little over a year now so thats where I'm running my Caldera trial from.

bbeens

Nathan-

Check out page 92 of the Summa S Class User's Manual (Rev 009c). It explains the barcode workflow much better than I could here. With pictures even. I am not familiar with Onyx or Caldera, but Wasatch works lovely with barcodes and the Summa devices. I was pretty excited about this feature when we released it last year. Very handy.

Bryan

nate

Good Morning S101'ers!

My question is I know Caldera has the option to print a barcode for print/cut jobs but how can this be used? We're cutting on a Summa S160T with just OPOS, no camera. Could I essentially add a USB barcode scanner to our RIP station and have the functionality of the barcode? I wasn't sure if this was a question for Caldera or Summa so I thought I'd start here.

Thanks guys!
-Nathan

Even easier than that. Stop using the Summa S160 option and use Summa Postnet instead. When Caldera prints the Registration Marks, it will print a bar code that the Summa itself can read. A fully automated workflow!