• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Calendard Vehicle Graphics

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
The pictures below are a prime example of why not to use calendard vinyl for vehicle graphics.

We removed these so I have no clue what grade or manufactures vinyl was used, but it was calendard.

(But we use premium cast vinyl)

The difference in actual cost of materials between the most expensive vinyl and the cheapest. is .75 per square foot. That saves you about $5 for a set of 2 color truck doors.

My 2 cents.

Attachments

• int 1.jpg
    int 1.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 75
  • int 2.jpg
    int 2.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 56

OldPaint

how old is that vinyl??? exposure to HEAT....from sun & temp range? the bridging you call it, is not from shrinkage but POOR INSTALLATION..... and back to temps.....black absorbs more heat then yellow.....so you will experiance some wrinkling or corner cracking.
also......this makes me wonder if your just ASSUMING....something.
"We removed these so I have no clue what grade or manufactures vinyl was used, but it was calendard."

Techman

looks like a good call on the calendered vinyl.

And it looks like some shrinkage caused some tenting too. OP may be right about the install. But, even if the installer did not stretch the vinyl when he installed it,, it will tent up over time on just about any ridge or valley.

I once saw a truck with tents over very single rivet. I also watched the installer use a heat gun to make his fits when he applied it on the truck.. After about 6 months they tented anyway and we razed that installer every chance we got for using cheap vinyl..

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
OP, I've been doing this long enough that I don't need a lable to tell me the difference between cast and calendard. Thickness was the first clue and the dirt ring around the graphics was the second.

It could have been installed poorly, but I doubt it would have made a difference. The yellow shrunk a 1/16th of an inch.

The point of the thread was to point out the pitfalls of using calendard vinyl for vehicle graphics.

Salmoneye

Thanks Jester. Teaches up new guys that have not had installs out there long enough to have learned from our failures. I have some 3651 laminated with 210 ready to go on a truck door in the morning.