Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Calendard Vehicle Graphics

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by Jester1167, Feb 4, 2010.

1. Jester1167

Jester1167 Premium Subscriber

The pictures below are a prime example of why not to use calendard vinyl for vehicle graphics.

We removed these so I have no clue what grade or manufactures vinyl was used, but it was calendard.

(But we use premium cast vinyl)

The difference in actual cost of materials between the most expensive vinyl and the cheapest. is .75 per square foot. That saves you about $5 for a set of 2 color truck doors.

My 2 cents.

Attached Files:

Tags:
  2. Marlene

Marlene Major Contributor

Jun 8, 2004
    Vermont
    I bet who ever did the job was the lowest bidder and now we know why

3. OldPaint

OldPaint Major Contributor

how old is that vinyl??? exposure to HEAT....from sun & temp range? the bridging you call it, is not from shrinkage but POOR INSTALLATION..... and back to temps.....black absorbs more heat then yellow.....so you will experiance some wrinkling or corner cracking.
    also......this makes me wonder if your just ASSUMING....something.
    "We removed these so I have no clue what grade or manufactures vinyl was used, but it was calendard."

4. Techman

Techman Major Contributor

Jun 24, 2003
    michigan
    looks like a good call on the calendered vinyl.

And it looks like some shrinkage caused some tenting too. OP may be right about the install. But, even if the installer did not stretch the vinyl when he installed it,, it will tent up over time on just about any ridge or valley.

I once saw a truck with tents over very single rivet. I also watched the installer use a heat gun to make his fits when he applied it on the truck.. After about 6 months they tented anyway and we razed that installer every chance we got for using cheap vinyl..

5. Jester1167

Jester1167 Premium Subscriber

OP, I've been doing this long enough that I don't need a lable to tell me the difference between cast and calendard. Thickness was the first clue and the dirt ring around the graphics was the second.

It could have been installed poorly, but I doubt it would have made a difference. The yellow shrunk a 1/16th of an inch.

The point of the thread was to point out the pitfalls of using calendard vinyl for vehicle graphics.

6. Salmoneye

Salmoneye Very Active Member

Oct 22, 2009
    Thanks Jester. Teaches up new guys that have not had installs out there long enough to have learned from our failures. I have some 3651 laminated with 210 ready to go on a truck door in the morning.