• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Calendared Cut Vinyl on Wall?

MI Bearcat

I'm pricing a wall graphic that is a skyline shape cut out of vinyl and 50" high and 216" long. Normally I just stock cast vinyl but wondering if 3M 50 series would work for an indoor graphic on a wall in a restaurant. Quite a bit of savings considering the amount of vinyl that will be cut. I'm assuming it's not going to shrink over time if it's indoors but wanted to check with others.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
We used to use IJ35C for wall murals, but with the laminate we started having issues of it coming down from the weight. The last few years we have been using IJ40 - and it's been working great. IJ40 is in-between cast and calendared. I think you could use either for walls. Just be sure to test it. It has more to do with the texture/finish on the wall than the vinyl you use.

Pewter0000

Graphic Design | Production
We used to use IJ35C for wall murals, but with the laminate we started having issues of it coming down from the weight. The last few years we have been using IJ40 - and it's been working great. IJ40 is in-between cast and calendared. I think you could use either for walls. Just be sure to test it. It has more to do with the texture/finish on the wall than the vinyl you use.

I really agree here - we've had success (and failures) with loads of different vinyls and it almost always has to do with the wall; texture, low VOC paint, etc. Definitely suggest doing a little test somewhere!

Relatedly, we've swapped from using "wall vinyl" to a slightly less heavy/slightly more tacky regular calendared vinyl (Avery 2923) when doing cut out graphics. We still use a wall vinyl for murals.

MI Bearcat

Will definitely test it out to make sure it sticks to the wall. Brand new restaurant being built so the walls were freshly painted about a month ago.

MI Bearcat

LOL, tested just regular IJ40C on a different black wall that will get printed vinyl and the paint bubbled up upon removing. Must not have used primer so the paint easily coming off. This project has been delayed until he gets his painters back in there.

petepaz

yeah i would say that vinyl is fine provided it sticks to the wall. like already posted test the vinyl on the wall.
i would even use oracal 651 for something like that and no issues (in my experiences. also provided it sticks)