Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Calling all Photoshop gurus...

Discussion in 'Adobe' started by Master's Touch, May 9, 2006.

1. Master's Touch

Master's Touch Member

Mar 10, 2005
    Conway
    Hey gang...I have a layered tif image that I created in Photoshop that I'm having trouble with:

1. the filters are all grayed out.
    2. I cannot save the file as a psd. In fact the ONLY save options at this point are: TIF PSB or RAW.

The file is RGB. I know there is some setting somewhere that I have selected, but I'll be danged if I can find it.

Any ideas?

Thanks for all the help!

Tags:
  2. madisonsignguy

madisonsignguy Member

Jun 19, 2005
    Switch it from 16 bit to 8 bit

Image>Mode>8bit Channel

3. Master's Touch

Master's Touch Member

Mar 10, 2005
    Conway
    It is already 8 channel. Sorry I didn't mention it...any other suggestions?

4. madisonsignguy

madisonsignguy Member

Jun 19, 2005
    Hmm thats wierd I can't think of anything else that would do that. the 16 bit setting does everything that you described.

The only other thing that would grey out the filters like that is if your layers are locked but that still doesnt describe the not beingable to save it in other formats

5. Techman

Techman Major Contributor

Jun 24, 2003
    michigan
    pres the B buton and get into brush mode. If not, then make sure you do not have any masks started ,, no mater how small.

6. Derf

Derf Very Active Member

What is your color mode?

If not RGB some of your filters will be disabled

If the file is index color you will not be able to apply a filter

if the file is CMYK then you will have limited filtering.

7. Master's Touch

Master's Touch Member

Mar 10, 2005
    Conway
    I found out what it was...but I still don't get it. THe file size is pretty big, around 750 mb, and the dimensions are like 18"x18' @ 150 dpi. When I sized it down by a third, everything came back.

Does anyone know if there is a way to keep this from happening? Is it a scratch disk thing?

The comp I am using is a 3.8 ghz with 4 gigs of ram. THere should'nt be an issue with processing power....

Still scratchin' my head.

8. madisonsignguy

madisonsignguy Member

Jun 19, 2005
    Go to :

Edit>Preferences>Memory&Image Cache
    Increase your available ram settings.
    Also when you do this make sure there are no programs running in the background and close everything except photoshop. If you give photoshop to much memory your computer will start acting wierd.

If you want more info on photoshop memory issues check out this link it gets pretty in depth on how to get more memory for photoshop. But be careful when messing with system files. http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/320005.html

9. Master's Touch

Master's Touch Member

Mar 10, 2005
    Conway
    Did that...no difference. If I reduce the dimensions...or DPI it all comes back...but it seems I am at some upper threshold limit.

I am running CS2 btw.