• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Calling all WRAPPERS.............

Gino

Premium Subscriber
We just cut some stuff out for a nearby company whose machine is broken. We got to talking and he said he does nothing but wraps on all kinds of trucks from 53'ers to ribbed beer trucks and so on. He's basically a one man team and says when he wraps these things, he starts at the middle and works his way front and back. I said, I was always taught to start at the back when possible and move forward so you have no exposed overlaps for wind, rain and whatever while the vehicle is moving to get under.

His response was, that would probably be possible if you knew where your sheets of material started and ended for any particular vehicle. I said, Okay, you don't fabricate your own vinyl, but don't they give you diagrams ??

Nope.

They send the same stuff regardless of what size vehicle it is you're putting it on. He does Coke, Pepsi, quite an array of beer vehicles and some major parks and other stuff. He has to start in the middle all the time, so he ends up with the right amount hanging off of both ends and then has to trim from there, otherwise, he would end up with a few feet too short lotsa times.

I asked if he could just tape them up and make sure..... and he said, not when you're by yourself.
Does this sound right to you.... or am I missing something ?? :help

Baz

The wrappers that were at your shop during your first Meet and Greet were saying the same thing ... They thought it didn't matter which way the seam was overlapped. They liked starting from the center because it was easyer to lay the graphic straight across the vehicle.

Whenever i have a seam ... I try to have it so the wind does not get into it but i don't worry about it much.

Border

But seriously, if you think about... What is different about laying cut vinyl lettering in the middle of a panel, or having a partial wrap in the middle of a panel. Nobody ever worries about those edges catching wind or rain so what is the deference, really? I don't think it's a big deal either way. It will stay down just fine, I am sure.

WB

I always start at the back and go forward. That doesn't make sense if he can't start at the back how can he know where the middle is? He could always measure out so he knew where he was going to end up. Panels should be 50"-52" I would think can't be that hard.
We can't he tape the panels up? if you can install them then you can tape up?

SignManiac

Common sense dictates starting at the back and working toward the front. And that is just my logical conclusion, I was never taught that by anybody.

Baz

back to front always, seam must face away from the chasing wind. What an idiot.

Legitimate question here: Have you seen any failures caused from the seam facing the wind?

Like i said ... I do it with the seam facing away but the reasoning of cut vinyl facing the wind also does not seem to affect it.

Mosh

I do our local Bud trucks, they send no diagrams, that I have even seen. I tape it up and start at the back, not that big of a deal. These get changed out every year or two, so wind and rain, not a real big deal.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Yes. More than once. Usually not on sides though but I've seen it more than once on roofs that had a seam facing forward.

Legitimate question here: Have you seen any failures caused from the seam facing the wind?

Like i said ... I do it with the seam facing away but the reasoning of cut vinyl facing the wind also does not seem to affect it.

Haakon

The wrapping instructional dvd's from Justin Pate shows the same procedure as the one described in the first post, can't remember the reasoning off hand, but he did explain why..

But let's be honest, would actually the wind catching the overlap be a real issue? What about partial wraps and cut lettering? Do anyone have a problem with them blowing off the car or the edges lifting? They all have exposed edges towards the direction of travel.

All print wraps I have installed have been from rear to front, but I have often thought about how important this really is, other than it is the "proper" way to do it.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
If you properly set your seams it does not matter. Seam failure back to front or front to back is a rookie mistake.....
At least here where the top posted speed limit is 35mph.

wayne k
guam usa

HulkSmash

Yes. And not from me because i do it the right way. Why would one even risk starting it in the middle, not like it saves any time either way.

And you use cut lettering as an example. How heavy is a 8 FT Seam compared to a 7 inch letter. Think about it. WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY more surface area to fail. i can care less what Justin Pate says, starting in the middle is wrong.

Baz

We should also ask Chris Phillips from Graphic Resource Systems how his van is ... It was his van that was wrapped at Gino's shop in 2010 and i remember the guys started it in the center. Plus the material they used was from LG.

tsgstl

I think mythbusters did a episode on this. It caused a problem a statistical 1 out of 62846 wraps. And it also caused .0000001 less miles per gallon because of wind resistance.

John Butto

Cororado is right, I have seen the Coors truck go from a hot day to freezing snow and as fast as a train, so the seams are important, just saying.

Haakon

What about a partial wrap on the rear half of the car? Same exposed surface area on the seam as a wrap where the rear section is installed after the middle section.

Do you refuse to do it? Only install partial wraps on the front half of the car so the seam is tucked into the door or panel gaps?