• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Calling all WRAPPERS.............

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
Hmmm...I agree with both sides. There is an increased risk in a possible failure from forward facing seams albeit not quantifiable. There are guys here that haven't had any problems doing forward facing seams and therefore probably don't deserve to be called names for "doing it wrong". There is a reduced risk of uphill downhill graphic travel if you start in the middle because there is less distance.
I just edge seal every seam no matter what just to be safe.

JK.

ProWraps

how do you get uphill/downhill travel?

there is a hard edge at the top of every trailer in the history of the planet.

whey substitute one thing for another, aka, doing it wrong because you cant do it right?

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
how do you get uphill/downhill travel?

there is a hard edge at the top of every trailer in the history of the planet.

whey substitute one thing for another, aka, doing it wrong because you cant do it right?

That was for Vans. It was a reference to the guy that quoted Pate saying it has less distance to travel in the wrong way if started in middle.
(not for trailers)

Border

for those who think wind damage doesn't hurt.
We did this back in Oct. 1 week later this happened. My guess is that my installer who did the hood, didn't tuck it into the grill all the way in that area. This is the result. I'm trying to save everyone the hassle of doing something twice.

Sorry but I would call that an installation error which caused it to come up, not simply because it had a leading edge facing the wind. Your guy probably just moved a little too fast and didn't take the extra time to make sure that edge was down good. A quality control issue more than anything else.

That said, I am not trying to bash you, your company or your installer. I install from back to front on wraps. Always.

HulkSmash

Sorry but I would call that an installation error which caused it to come up, not simply because it had a leading edge facing the wind. Your guy probably just moved a little too fast and didn't take the extra time to make sure that edge was down good. A quality control issue more than anything else.

That said, I am not trying to bash you, your company or your installer. I install from back to front on wraps. Always.

i specifically said a mistake for not tucking, but same logic. Hard Edge facing wind. And yes this can happen with panels I've seen it. Just because most haven't doesn't mean it isn't possible. The only time we've started in the middle is with trains, and it isn't because we're afraid of it going misaligned, because we know how to use a measuring tape, but only so we can have more guys installing at once... Start in the middle work 2 ways.. oh yeah, and it doesn't matter in that case because the train goes both ways, and they wrap is only on there 2-3 months at a time.

All i'm saying is avoid the risk of possible premature failure.. Do it right, starting in the middle actually seams harder to do..

qmr55

starting in the middle actually seams harder to do..

Exactly. Wouldn't that make for extra work? Starting in the back you just line up and stick. Starting in the middle you have to measure both ways and twice to make sure you have the vinyl positioned correctly and you won't run out one either side.

qmr55

Partial wrap on a 500mph+ commercial airliner with lots of exposed frontfacing edge area..

http://youtu.be/1eiHET7Ujno

How fast was that truck travelling that got half the hood wrap ripped off within a week?

I think you're missing the point. As stated above, these steps are taken as precautionary steps. The wrap isn't necessarily going to fail if you DON'T do it this way, but you give yourself a better chance of it not failing. Always take the odds when betting, right?

johnnysigns

The installer's lazy that's all. It is very common for Pepsi, Coke, Bud, Coors... to have a single set of graphics that work on a varied array of trailers. On full coverage prints you simply omit the first and last or first two and last two panels or however it's spec'd. Measure your panel width, measure your prints, subtract your overlap widths and you're good.

Bud and Coke's old logo was just screen printed white vinyl that was premasked.

Coke's were 4 bottoms and 4 tops w/ the logo buttons for either side of the logo.

Haakon

I think you're missing the point. As stated above, these steps are taken as precautionary steps. The wrap isn't necessarily going to fail if you DON'T do it this way, but you give yourself a better chance of it not failing. Always take the odds when betting, right?

Not missing the point, just trying to put things in perspective :)

As I stated already, all paneled wraps I have mounted have been from rear to front.

But since I asked about partial wraps starting at the middle of the car and covering the rear section, that would have exactly the same exposed edge facing forward as a rear panel mounted last, no one has adressed this. Well no one of the ones stating that they have seen failed wraps because of exposed edges at least.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
lots of salty roads with snow and dirt swirling round at 40,000 feet?

We've been doing work for a small skydiving company here for the last 10 years or so - using 3M HP cut vinyl along with 180c prints on their fleet.
The leading edges of the graphics all show signs of pitting & wear. These planes don't go very high or far but they take off and land in very short cycles multiple times a day. I'm thinking along with air friction they get sandblasted with fine gravel from the runway each time they hit it.
No failures to date but we do edge seal everything.

wayne k
guam usa

fmg

Rough test for the driver, not only did they make him go backwards , they put the steering wheel on the wrong side to make it even harder.....

wayne k
guam usa
Actually it is on the Right side of the car.
Furthermore you will find that more countries in the world drive with the steering wheel on the right side of the car as opposed to the left.:brittain:

C.R. GRAPHICS

race car wrap

Does anyone know where you can purchase a race car wrap template?
For modifieds, street stocks, hobby stocks, and late models?