Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Calling out size- height 1st, length 2nd?

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by Andy D, Apr 6, 2021.

1. Red Ball

Red Ball Very Active Member

Aug 20, 2008
    IRVING, TEXAS
    Height x width, always. Just us it seems.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Ray Miller

Ray Miller Owner

Feb 10, 2021
    PA
    I see a lot of discussion here but I agree with making it easier. When learning myself and hearing all the different approaches to this very question i believe most people will say at the end portrait or landscape. There's no harm in making sure the other party is on the same page as you.

3. Zendavor Signs

Zendavor Signs Member

Mar 3, 2011
    Peoria, IL
    Haha - yes, I use left/right and up/down a lot too, any more. Width and length are pretty much useless nomenclatures.

4. James Burke

James Burke Being a grandpa is more fun than working

Jan 2, 2010
    Mitten State
    Real quick...look at your screen....the x axis is horizontal, the y axis is vertical. Alphabetically speaking, X always precedes Y.

Mathematically, the Cartesian coordinate system follows the same rule....x coordinate first, y coordinate second.

WIDTH FIRST, HEIGHT SECOND.

It's that way in the tool and die world, the monument world and the construction world.

A window's size notation is basically width and height combined. The first two #'s are for width and the second two #'s are for height. A 2426 Replacement Window would have a width of 2'4″ and height of 2'6″.

JB

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    So, for all you die-hards who don't wanna budge from your ancient theorems and dusty form of communications...... you cannot see the faults of your ways ??

C'mon man, it's the 21st century and if ya can't get your point across one way, ya need to find another way to do it..... or somebody's gonna be out on their keister. If y'all put this much effort into transgender change, maybe we'd be a little more understanding.​

6. GSM

GSM New Member

Dec 8, 2020
    Southeastern Wisconsin
    Our general rule of thumb is the way the sign reads. If you are looking at a sign panel and it reads horizontal ie 96" x 48" it is 96"w x 48"h. if it is presented vertically and reads 48" x 96" , it is 48"w x 96"h.

7. brdesign

brdesign Member

Jun 21, 2007
    Fuquay Varina NC
    That's how I've been doing for the last 21 years, most everything measured in inches rounded off to the nearest 1/8 or .125 inch. Only occasionally has it been an issue when a vendor or installer insisted on Feet - inch - fraction measurements.
    Usually the biggest problem is with people who don't even know how to read a tape measure to begin with.

8. bob

bob Major Contributor

Nov 4, 2005
    earth
    Why? Have you seen every one? Even if you had, is it the standard because they say it's the standard or do they say it's the standard because it is the standard? If the former, what is their authority to proclaim this standard. If the latter, just who is the authority that proclaims the standard?

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. bob

bob Major Contributor

Nov 4, 2005
    earth
    Actually, when Adam met Eve his first words were "Stand back, I don't know how big it's gonna get!"

• Hilarious! Hilarious! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. GB2

GB2 Very Active Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Connecticut, USA
    Bob...I was actually thinking about you yesterday, thinking that I haven't seen any responses lately and hoping all was well with you, so good to see you here.
    To answer your questions...
    No, I haven't seen every catalog but all those that I have seen use the same measurement convention.
    I stated it to be the standard because I declared it the standard! Do I have that authority? Depends who you talk to I guess!
    Seriously though, I don't believe that any real standard exists, however from my experience, I do believe that the WxH convention is the typical in the sign industry, though I understand that it is not always comfortable for everyone and it is highly debatable. I also agree that to hold to either belief and assume that anyone will understand you will not work, it almost always requires clarification. Furthermore....as Gino declares, does it really matter? I doubt it but it makes for great conversation here!

11. OADesign

OADesign Active Member

Jan 27, 2006
    California
    +1 for adding a simple label.
    Xft w x Xft h
    Two extra key strokes eliminates guessing (or remembering a rule)

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Souldar

Souldar Member

May 22, 2020
    Charlottesville
    When I started many years ago it was always height then width. Now it doesn't matter but I still do it that way but I do use H and W in my templates.
    My theory is that as the old school generations retired the new incoming youngsters didn't care much for tradition. Plus most of them were graphic designers who learned print shop language or on the fly and couldn't bother to learn the ways of the old masters.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Texas_Signmaker

Texas_Signmaker Very Active Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    I call out everything in inches as well...makes it easier to understand. 3' 4"x7'10" has to be converted and I'd rather read 40"x94"

14. Andy D

Andy D Very Active Member

Oct 20, 2014
    Hattiesburg, MS
    True, I have seen many mistakes made when converting feet & inches to inches also fractions of inches to decimals of inches.
    As a designer 118.375" is a whole lot easier than 9' 10 3/8"

15. eahicks

eahicks Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks

Apr 17, 2012
    DALLAS, TEXAS
    H x W is what I have done for yeeeeeeears. I just recently started at another company, and guess what? They go by W x H on everything. So it's a slight adjustment but not a huge deal. I do also add H & W to measurements in drawings just to be more clear.

16. KatePhillips

KatePhillips Member

Jan 22, 2019
    Halifax NS
    +1 for labels and +1 for making sure inches and feet are clearly labeled too. Clients almost never get the measurements right, so if we clearly state everything down to a tee in the proof sheet, it covers our butts. It also makes sure that nobody gets confused from design to production to install. It takes 0 time to just add w and h, but saves a lot of time and $ if something was messed up.

17. gabagoo

gabagoo Major Contributor

Oct 10, 2006
    Vaughan, Ontario
    I just ask customers landscape or portrait as I think they can figure that one out

• Hilarious! Hilarious! x 1
  18. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    The one saving grace is that corel can interpret 9' 10 3/8" when entered directly into the dimension box!
    I suppose this is one hell of a nifty tip if nobody else was aware. I don't trust my head to make this conversion typically, so I'll either ask siri, or type it into corel.

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    I get a kick outta people who write on their spec sheet........ 7.5' and they mean 7' 5" and not 7' 6". People are mighty stupid these days and I kinda predict, in a few years we're gonna have a whole new buncha dumb stupid@ss people running around after not being in school for almost 2 years and not learning a danged thing. The smart ones won't be working with people who need measurements. Oh, we're doomed. :covereyes:

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Johnny Best

Johnny Best Very Active Member

Dec 9, 2015
    buffalo ny
    300 cubits, length, 50 cubits, breadth, and 30 cubits, height for the Ark. Noah just carried on since there were no catalogs to compare to.

• Hilarious! Hilarious! x 2