• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Calling out size- height 1st, length 2nd?

Andy D

Since we are talking about measuring, does anyone else still use a Pica pole? I use it ALL THE TIME when I apply vinyl and for apparel.
I started out in graphic design in 1993 and have been using the same Pica pole I bought for school. I just recently purchased an additional 12" and a 24". Tape measures hook on edges but the Pica pole is perfect every time, never loose from the thingy on the end, always perfect!
View attachment 152986

Good Lord, what have you been a-pickn' with that Pica pole? :)

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Since we are talking about measuring, does anyone else still use a Pica pole? I use it ALL THE TIME when I apply vinyl and for apparel.
I started out in graphic design in 1993 and have been using the same Pica pole I bought for school. I just recently purchased an additional 12" and a 24". Tape measures hook on edges but the Pica pole is perfect every time, never loose from the thingy on the end, always perfect!
View attachment 152986
I used to have one of those! I wonder what happened to it. I might still have it somewhere in the archives of my college crap.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
When I got into the sign business, I was taught to give dimensions as height x width. This was for a large company that primarily dealt with electrical signs, so most signs were landscape-oriented rectangles. So that was the preferred format used by the art department, manufacturing/production, vinyl department, etc. A few 'rules' were:

1) Be consistent and provide dimensions as height x width, regardless of the shape of the sign. This was a company-wide practice.

2) Don't leave dimensions open to interpretation (aka: an opportunity for a screw-up). Always indicate the height and width on all dimensions given. If a sign is four foot by eight foot, it was always given as 4'-0"h x 8'-0"w (not 4'-0" x 8'-0").

3.) All dimensions should be provided in a consistent manner. Either 4'-0"h x 8'-0"w or 48"h x 96"w (not 4'-0"h x 96"w......and definitely not 4' x 96"...that's a recipe for disaster).

Dimensions for smaller signs could be provided in just inches, but larger signs were generally always provided in feet and inches. Reason being is if you surveyed a pole sign that was 12'-0"h x 18'-0"w and the overall height was 85' or some such thing, writing 1,020" is a bit silly.