• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Calvin being chased by an RC Airplane

Marlene

One thing to watch out for are customers that come in with a booklet of signs and ask you to make one "like this". They are dealers or fanchises that are suppose to be buying signs from their source and are trying to get out of it cheaper. The guy who brings it in knows that they aren't suppose to do this but they won't tell you. The best way to be safe is to contact the marketing dept. of the corporate office for artwork. I did Allstate signs with artwork provided by Allstate, not a CD of logos or something I got off the internet so I'm safe. what most of these companies want is for the sign maker to follow the guidlines which include specs about colors, placement and so on. Most are very good about getting all artwork and info to you so there's no need to sneaky. I sent a proof to Allstate of the sign for approval. The customer wanted his address on the bottom of the sign which wasn't allowed by Allstate.

vid

Bad Boys Drive Bad Toys...

I warned a customer about a T-shirt they were producing --- "Bad Boys Drive Bad Toys" with a manufacturer's emblem. They rationalized it by saying that, "it's just advertising for them, they won't mind...."

A regional marketing manager for Chevrolet saw them at an event one weekend in Oklahoma selling the Chevy bowtie festooned garment. oooooooops, ya never know where those guys will show up, doggonnit......

Fortunately, they were shrewd negotiators and very good record keepers. They came clean with GM and were able to back license the product for only $42,000.

If it seems like it might be a bad idea, it probably is....... no matter how you try to rationalize it.

tzn_motorsports

What about if someone wants a 4x4 replacement decal for their truck? Or the name of their car in a script font? It would not be copy of the manufacturers other then the name.

My father in law's combine burned last year and he wants me to make some replacement stripes? Are they copywrited? Just Red, Black, White, and Yellow straitght vinyl. Would I be breaking the law by cutting them?

Thanks
Brad

Geary

TZN,

None of the things you describe would be copyrighted....unless of course there's a ® or a © or a ™ on the scripts or images you describe.

(hopefully those signs for "registered, copyright, or trademark" came through in the translation from my Mac to this website) :wink:

~Gear

Hollywood

I wouldn't worry about being "professinal" untill I mastered the art of spellcheck!

Pre-School smart ass huh, I spelled something wrong because I am sitting here watching TV and posting messages at the same time. I'm sorry master Roger.

iSign

I thought it was pretty funny.

...besides spelling is an important part of this career path, and TV, or not, looking back over your typing is a chance to take pride in how you present yourself. Either that matters, or it dosn't.

"something wrong?" You spelled a lot wrong!
By the way, I also agree that maybe you should lighten up a bit Holly... you seem wound up pretty tight to me.

Hollywood

Doug, maybe it was a little funny, and I will lighten up a little, I guess people just get to me sometimes. No harm done.

I thought it was pretty funny.

...besides spelling is an important part of this career path, and TV, or not, looking back over your typing is a chance to take pride in how you present yourself. Either that matters, or it dosn't.

"something wrong?" You spelled a lot wrong!
By the way, I also agree that maybe you should lighten up a bit Holly... you seem wound up pretty tight to me.