Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can a cut file change over the years?

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by gabagoo, Apr 23, 2019.

1. gabagoo

gabagoo Major Contributor

Oct 10, 2006
    Vaughan, Ontario
    I have a couple of files I can think of that over the years get more and more screwy... I just finished weeding 25 logos for a customer that I have been cutting for well over ten years. They take a long time to cut and are a bit intricate with quite a bit of copy. I can see in this particular one that there a two lines of copy that cut strangely...not finishing the cuts but close enough to weed and some have what were straight lines sort of wavering a little bit in and out. The customer would never notice it and I continue to use the file.
    Last week on another file the cut was so bad I decided to retype set and then test it. Cut like new. I never thought that a file could GO BAD this way.

Am I alone in experiencing this?

Tags:
  2. unclebun

unclebun Very Active Member

The file will not change. However the plotter may.

• Agree Agree x 5
  3. shoresigns

shoresigns Very Active Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Vancouver, BC
    This sort of thing can happen if you've resized it numerous times, particularly if it was reduced to a small size and then back up to full size. It depends what software you're using, but some seem to have limitations built into the vector coordinates, so each time you resize an object, the shape changes slightly due to rounding errors in the last decimal place.

• Like Like x 1
  4. 2B

2B Very Active Member

May 5, 2011
    TX
    we have had issues when the RIP has updates.
    how the program reads old files is an issue. when we talked to Summa (using WinPlot) it is an issue with being backward compatible.
    The other factor is where / how the file is stored, Hard Drives can become corrupt and the more a file is accessed, the more chances there are of issues happening

a "new" cut files rarely have issues, but "recycling" old files can cause issues

5. Baz

Baz Very Active Member

Makes me think about my engraving software.
    Whenever i open old files (older version) it will tell me to save the file over.
    If i don't i can get screwy results. But just saving it with no changes seems to make it run fine after.

6. GAC05

GAC05 Major Contributor

Dec 27, 2005
    Guam USA
    Climate change......

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious! Hilarious! x 1
  7. gabagoo

gabagoo Major Contributor

Oct 10, 2006
    Vaughan, Ontario
    If you look close at the wire frame everything is perfect... File is never resized either. The plotter cuts just about everything else perfectlly. I will say that on some files that have a lot of copy that were sent to us as eps files I generally break the paths and then re-make the path as when you are cutting a lot at once I found the plotter jumping back and forth wasting far too much time travelling, so by making them a path again the plotter, even when sequenced will cut the entire piece before moving to the next.

8. petepaz

petepaz Major Contributor

Feb 14, 2007
    NJ/NY/PA
    I THINK THE PLOTTERS JUST SOME TIMES HAVE A BRAIN ****. IT DOESN'T HAPPEN HARDLY AT ALL BUT EVERY ONCE IN A WHILE I WILL GET A FILE THAT JUST CUTS F'D UP OR MISSES A LINE JUST SOMETHING WEIRD AND EXPLAINABLE. THE EVIL PLOTTER SPIRITS...HAHA

9. petepaz

petepaz Major Contributor

Feb 14, 2007
    NJ/NY/PA
    AND I JUST NOTICED AFTER THAT POST THAT F.A.R.T IS A BAD WORD (SIGNS 101 BLEEPED ME...HAHA)

10. Billct2

Billct2 Major Contributor

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    I've had old files just go bad...