• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Can a cut file change over the years?

gabagoo

I have a couple of files I can think of that over the years get more and more screwy... I just finished weeding 25 logos for a customer that I have been cutting for well over ten years. They take a long time to cut and are a bit intricate with quite a bit of copy. I can see in this particular one that there a two lines of copy that cut strangely...not finishing the cuts but close enough to weed and some have what were straight lines sort of wavering a little bit in and out. The customer would never notice it and I continue to use the file.
Last week on another file the cut was so bad I decided to retype set and then test it. Cut like new. I never thought that a file could GO BAD this way.

Am I alone in experiencing this?

shoresigns

This sort of thing can happen if you've resized it numerous times, particularly if it was reduced to a small size and then back up to full size. It depends what software you're using, but some seem to have limitations built into the vector coordinates, so each time you resize an object, the shape changes slightly due to rounding errors in the last decimal place.

2B

we have had issues when the RIP has updates.
how the program reads old files is an issue. when we talked to Summa (using WinPlot) it is an issue with being backward compatible.
The other factor is where / how the file is stored, Hard Drives can become corrupt and the more a file is accessed, the more chances there are of issues happening

a "new" cut files rarely have issues, but "recycling" old files can cause issues

Baz

Makes me think about my engraving software.
Whenever i open old files (older version) it will tell me to save the file over.
If i don't i can get screwy results. But just saving it with no changes seems to make it run fine after.

gabagoo

If you look close at the wire frame everything is perfect... File is never resized either. The plotter cuts just about everything else perfectlly. I will say that on some files that have a lot of copy that were sent to us as eps files I generally break the paths and then re-make the path as when you are cutting a lot at once I found the plotter jumping back and forth wasting far too much time travelling, so by making them a path again the plotter, even when sequenced will cut the entire piece before moving to the next.

petepaz

I THINK THE PLOTTERS JUST SOME TIMES HAVE A BRAIN FART. IT DOESN'T HAPPEN HARDLY AT ALL BUT EVERY ONCE IN A WHILE I WILL GET A FILE THAT JUST CUTS F'D UP OR MISSES A LINE JUST SOMETHING WEIRD AND EXPLAINABLE. THE EVIL PLOTTER SPIRITS...HAHA