• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Can Anyone Confirm This English to French Translation?

Speedsterbeast

Used Babylon's English to French Tranlation Website for this, but would like a confirmation to make sure I'm doing thr French Version justice.
You know, not wanting to assume. Any help would be appreciated.

What the English Wording Must Be:

FOR PASSENGERS SAFETY, OPERATION OF THIS VEHICLE IS PROHIBITED WHILE ANYONE IS STANDING FORWARD OF THE YELLOW LINE.

What Babylon Gave me:

POUR LA SÉCURITÉ DE PASSAGERS, LE FONCTIONNEMENT DE CE VÉHICULE EST INTERDIT TANDIS QUE N'IMPORTE QUI SE TIENT EN AVANT DE LA LIGNE JAUNE.

bois323

You almost got it right. French is my first language by the way.

" STANDING FORWARD OF THE YELLOW LINE" should be " STANDING IN FRONT OF THE YELLOW LINE.

The rest is all O.K.

genericname

The first "de" should be "des", since "passagers" is plural. Feels a little long-winded, but the rest is technically correct.

Also, how nit-picky is the market in which this is being sold? Some are sticklers for representing both genders, and might want your "passagers" to become "passagers(éres)".

To avoid the problem, you could say "For your security..." instead of "For passengers' safety...". That would be "Pour votre sécurité..."

Also also! "passenger" really should have a possessive apostrophe next to it, as I typed above. Or you could just junk the "S" all together, and say "For passenger safety..." It stays plural in French though.

genericname

Yeah we used the Bescherelle more than the dictionary. I think my brain was broken though, as the book always confused the hell out of me. Got one for my wife a few years ago, who's first language was French, but lost it after the age of 4. She was ecstatic.

I actually lost my French while going to a French high-school. Long story. I've since recovered most of it, though I do need to look up gendered words. Can anyone tell me why "vagin" is masculine? What the hell!

Speedsterbeast

The first "de" should be "des", since "passagers" is plural. Feels a little long-winded, but the rest is technically correct.

Also, how nit-picky is the market in which this is being sold? Some are sticklers for representing both genders, and might want your "passagers" to become "passagers(éres)".

To avoid the problem, you could say "For your security..." instead of "For passengers' safety...". That would be "Pour votre sécurité..."

Also also! "passenger" really should have a possessive apostrophe next to it, as I typed above. Or you could just junk the "S" all together, and say "For passenger safety..." It stays plural in French though.

Yes, I caught the missing possesive apostraphe myself, and corrected it (my client left it out)

Thanks so much

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Same language, sorry, so I thought it would be a carry-over kinda thing. :Oops:​

genericname

Same language, sorry...​

You couldn't be further from the truth! :Big Laugh

Really though, the dialectical differences are pretty crazy. The French I was taught, in Northern Ontario, was based off of Parisian French. As it turns out, that's pretty much useless anywhere but Paris. The guys from Northern Ontario don't understand the ones from Quebec City, who can't understand the ones from Gaspé, who can't understand the Métis from Manitoba, and the whole time the French from France guffaw and wonder why we've butchered their language (even though they've introduced more Anglicization than in Quebec).

It's actually pretty fascinating. I can't speak for everyone when I say I like Jerry Lewis though.

Baz

We are known for loving Jerry Lewis, Elvis Presley and Wrestling !!! :notworthy:

I would tweek that translation a bit to read like this:

POUR LA SÉCURITÉ DES PASSAGERS, LE FONCTIONNEMENT DE CE VÉHICULE EST INTERDIT TANDS QU'IL Y AURAIS UNE PERSONNE EN AVANT DE LA LIGNE JAUNE.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, I think I knew something about that from another member here who happens to be French Canadian..... just forgot it.

Anyway, no matter what you speak or can't speak, understand or tell your fellow French speaking non French speaking Canadians [did I leave anyone out ??]........ you're nuts if ya like Jerry Lewis. :banghead:

Baz

I was out installing and just got back. I had a mistake in my translation ... This version is "mom" approved:

POUR LA SÉCURITÉ DES PASSAGERS, LE FONCTIONNEMENT DE CE VÉHICULE EST INTERDIT TANT QU'IL Y AURAIS UNE PERSONNE EN AVANT DE LA LIGNE JAUNE.