• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Can I heat my shop with a kerosene heater?

signage

Can I heat my shop with a kerosene heater? Yes

Would I No! For one when a customer comes in and smells Kerosene it could turn them off, I would think this cheap a$$ is trying to save money. Second I would be concerned about the drop out of the kerosene causing adhersion problems, we all know oil and adhesives don't mix and if you paint with water base paints you could again have issues.

I would look for a propane radiant heater (portible) so I could take it when I leave.

Techman

The problem with unvented gas heaters is the humidity. It gets so high that water will run down the windows to the sill and puddle. Good luck with getting this challenge resolved at a low cost. I tried it with my garage /shop when it got to 20 below here.

OldPaint

jill, what is the btu output on the REZNOR you have? it may also need some maintenance. mine is the smallest the make. look on the side plate, get the model number, then go to reznor site or you close to mercer, pa you can call them, they will tellyou how old that one is and if they have new or smaller natural gas orfices/regulator for that unit. mine works really well and has a thermostate just like your home heater has.

Jillbeans

Mine's about twice the size of yours. I'd like to sell the darn thing.
:)
Haven't used it since about 2004.
The $400/month gas bill was a bit off putting.

Pat Whatley

I think I'd be looking for a new place to rent (or buy...if your area is like ours there's as much empty commercial space as there is occupied).

First problem....the shop has been here 20 years (I've owned it 4) and is on the main road going into the downtown business district...with good parking and damn good visibility. I get a LOT of repeat business from people who don't know the name of the shop, they just know that's where they go the two times a year they need signs.

Second problem....my rent is 1/2 of what regular commercial space would be in a similar location and similar square footage, even at today's discounted rates. Trust me, if I was paying full commercial rent I'd call constantly for repairs.

Sideshow

We grew up in a hand built house with woodburning stove fore heat in winters in kitchen. We used to use kerosene heaters on those really cold nights when we were downstairs watching TV or when we were sledding outside to quick warm. never longer then 3-4 hours at a time were needed.

Marlene

doesn't seem like you would need to heat very often where you are. can you put in a small wood/pellet stove? they are pretty easy to install and pretty cheap. you can store the wood or pettets without having to worry. seems like a better plan than a portable heater.

andy

Could you not insulate the workspace properly?

Our previous building was a cr@ppy 1980's construction with very thin roofing, giant steel roller shutters with zero insulation value. Trying to heat the place was like trying to collect water in a sieve... as fast as we burned propane the heat escaped through all the uninsulated surfaces.

Our new place is insulated up the wazzoo... 2ft of fibre in the walls, 18" in the roof. The loading bay has a insulated sectional door with rubber gaskets and all the windows are UPVC double glazed. The difference is amazing.

The last two winters have been pretty cold by our standards... the only heating we have is a small electric fan heater screwed to the wall. Set that sucker on the lowest thermostat setting and the place is kept at a constant warm temperature.

Spending £400 a month on heating is mental... we haven't spent that much on heating over the last 4 years.