Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I use a plotter other than Gerber to cut my Edge prints?

Discussion in 'Gerber' started by Tom, Oct 4, 2017.

1. Tom

Tom Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Port Chester, NY
    I have a classic Edge and a HS15 plus plotter, but the plotter is acting up and I think it's done. I am running Omega software. I'm looking into a new Graphtec plotter, but can't find anyone that is cutting their Edge prints with anything but a Gerber plotter. I really don't want to buy a new or used Gerber plotter. Their customer service is awful. Is anyone out there cutting Edge prints with another brand Plotter?

Tags:
  2. GB2

GB2 Very Active Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Connecticut, USA
    If you are only printing with the Edge and plotting Edge prints or 15" rolls of vinyl then there is no better plotter to use than a Gerber plotter. As you know it is a system designed to be used together and actually works exceptionally well. Also the Gerber plotters on their own are excellent plotters. Now, if you are doing other things or you plan on growing beyond Edge prints and 15" rolls of vinyl, then you can consider another plotting option and yes, it is possible to cut Edge prints on other plotters. You would just have to learn how to print whatever is needed for the other plotter as it wouldn't be using the Gerber marks but you would have to print registration marks that would work for the new plotter or whatever other software you would be using to cut with.

• Like Like x 1
  3. danno

danno Member

Mar 26, 2013
    Birmingham, AL
    We have used our Summa and our Zund to cut our edge prints. We do have to put the corresponding marks on the print for the plotters to read the cut.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Joe House

Joe House Active Member

Feb 5, 2004
    WA
    You've been able to cut Edge prints from Omega for some time now using a Graphtec plotter. I think a Gerber 15" plotter would be better, but it is more expensive. When Graphtec was making Gerber's friction fed plotters, Gerber started to incorporate the Graphtec cutting marks into their system.

5. Jburns

Jburns Active Member

Jan 19, 2009
    Denver
    I have cut gerber prints with a graphtec using flexi. it was a PITA to get the graphtec calibrated so it cut the prints property, (see my other posts) but it can be done.
    HOWEVER - you must note that the print width is reduced to about 9.5 inches, because the graphtec marks encroach on the print ( type 1 and 2).

Best to run the gerber plotter -maximum print width and zero alignment issues. Your HS15 is probably 15 plus years old - so you got a good run. (I will be selling my GS15 Plus in the near future, I have the envision).

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Alex P

Alex P New Member

Oct 9, 2014
    UK
    Your best bet is to use the Gerber plotter, they might be slow but work as they should and will give you very little problems. It might be cheaper to repair your gerber plotter as they are really basic mechanically.

7. Jburns

Jburns Active Member

Jan 19, 2009
    Denver
    Are your Chrome rails clean and oiled?

8. RG

RG Member

Dec 6, 2006
    South Mississippi
    I have done this several times using a Graphtec FC7000 and FlexiSign. You can even get the full 11.8" if you choose to use the 4 point registration marks and laser instead of the auto registration mark reading function of the Graphtec. I don't think that Omega has drivers for a Graphtec. An older version of Flexi might be less expensive than another plotter.

9. xkellyx

xkellyx Member

Nov 2, 2015
    Branford, CT
    A lot of our Gerber prints are one color on clear (gold, white, etc). I print on the Edge, with Graphtec marks. I have sheets of pre-printed black on clear graphtech marks that I carefully place over the white/gold marks then I cut. Works great. I am not a fan of my GSX plus and really prefer the Graphtec. We have been using flexi cloud.