• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Can I wrap this?

ucmj22

Ive wrapped quite a few things, but this one has me a little worried. this guy wants his bumpers wrapped matte black. anyone think its is possible to wrap this bumper in one piece, or will I have to cut it behind the license plate? And whats the chances of it not adhering properly to the plastic surface?

Attachments

• IMG_0719.jpg
    IMG_0719.jpg
    234.2 KB · Views: 84

HulkSmash

If you're using 3m's matt black.. be prepared to use a lot of heat. That looks annoying.

And don't remove the bumper, unless you want it sliding around while you're trying to wrap it.

ucmj22

If you're using 3m's matt black.. be prepared to use a lot of heat. That looks annoying.

And don't remove the bumper, unless you want it sliding around while you're trying to wrap it.

I was planning on using the 3M matte black, should I laminate that , or does it come laminated?

Primer 94 the bumper, it should be no problem, take your time....

Luckily I have plenty of Primer 94 left

I might remove that bumper so you can de-trim it. Not so big a deal.

I was planning on using some knifeless tape to trim around the black plastic pieces, and also inside of the fog lamp recesses on the front bumper.

As long as you guys think it is doable, I'll give it a shot, just looking at it made me vomit a little in my mouth. there is probably a good 8-12in of extra space to cover going in to that recess Vs. the same distance along the bottom of the bumper

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 68
you should make a video of you wrapping that....would be interested to see what method you would use.

never wrapped anything but would love to see how its done.........some good stuff up on youtube.

megacab

I was planning on using the 3M matte black, should I laminate that , or does it come laminated?

Luckily I have plenty of Primer 94 left

I was planning on using some knifeless tape to trim around the black plastic pieces, and also inside of the fog lamp recesses on the front bumper.

As long as you guys think it is doable, I'll give it a shot, just looking at it made me vomit a little in my mouth. there is probably a good 8-12in of extra space to cover going in to that recess Vs. the same distance along the bottom of the bumper

while i am a fan of knifeless tape, that seems like a waste where you are wanting to use it. those should be really straight forward knife cuts. as far as wrapping the bumper itself, bumpers will seperate the men from the boys in a hurry. the only way to get better is to jump in and do it. if you screw it up, do it again. my first bumper wrap looked like Helen Keller and Michael J Fox worked together on it. I'm getting better, but they still give me trouble if i try and rush thru them.:banghead:

AUTO-FX

If you take the bumper off, you can easily remove the top pads and the lisc plate lights, that's all. It's like, 8 bolts.

Alti-Plotter

If it is for a friend or myself, I would try to do it in one piece to see if I'm able to do it without over-stretching the vinyl, especially a matte black, and also to know how long it takes before it lifts. I rarely use primer, sometimes just on certain spots or as a very fine line, but never to cover a surface, so sooner or later it will lift.

If it is for a client, I would do it in several pieces.

HulkSmash

That bumper weighs enough, it isnt going to be floppin' around. It's steel. As long as it's on a proper stand.

Sorry, but you're incorrect. He will regret taking off the bumper.. there's no need to do that. It WILL move around if it isn't attached to the truck.