• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Can someone fill me in on this flu shot deal?

TheSnowman

We have a 10 month old baby, and me and my wife are trying to figure out if we should get 'the shot' or not. We're going to be traveling to Disney two days after Thanksgiving, so we're thinking between all the people in the parks and at the airport we don't stand a chance. And of course, once one of us gets it, all three of us will have it.

So here's my question, webMD says that the only side effect of the flu shot is "cold like symptoms". Well, that's great. I'd take a cold over the flu any day...however, I've never gotten a flu shot that me or my mom can remember, and I'm now 26. My wife says that the flu shot still won't protect me from the "puking" flu, which is what I get every year...and if it won't save me from that...I'm thinking there's really no point to getting it. I thought that it kept you from getting that too, but apparently it's just influenza?

Can anyone just verify that I'm thinking correctly on this? I'm all about protecting my family from it, and spreading it to others, I just want to make sure I know what I'm fighting against, and what it's supposed to do...and what it REALLY does.

Pat Whatley

I'm not a doctor and I don't play one on TV but I'll pass on something I was told by the attending doctor who signed us out of the hospital with our twins. He said that "babies are a lot tougher than people believe and not to panic over everything that comes along. Play it safe but don't go overboard."

Of course when I asked him how I'd know if I was going overboard he just smiled and shrugged his shoulders.

Damn smart-assed doctor.

Do a search for the flu shot thread that came up a couple of weeks ago. Pretty divided camp on whether the shot was okay or whether it was a thing of the devil.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Burn 'em out with plenty of this........ :bushmill: if ya already have symptoms.

If ya don't have any symptoms..... drink plenty of this :bushmill: to step up your immunity levels.

For the baby..... just smother him/her in your alcohol drenched breath and he'll stay safe................ :thumb:

RJ California

Just dont watch fox news and you will be safe
Once again proving your great value to this site. Smartass answers to serious questions are a waste.

Vaccines can be deadly in rare cases (just look at the 1970's swine flu vaccine) so you have to weigh the risks, especially when you are talking about your own children. I never get the flu and I never get flu shots but for my son I am going to consult our pediatrician (who I really trust) and take his advice. I expect that he will recommend that he gets vaccinated.

S

SignTech

It's all a personal choice and should be an informed choice.

The "flu" shot is mainly for the Respiratory type flu. This latest Vaccination is very new and relatively untested due to the fact it has been created quickly to hit this H1N1 strain that is now global. These Flu's are common every 20 years ...... it seems ... from my reading this strain is NOT as crazy bad as past strains and certainly not like the Spanish Flu in the 20's ......

These vacs are safe ........ but occasionally can cause problems outside of their intended use ........ http://www.cdc.gov/FLU/about/qa/gbs.htm

The very young and elderly have weaker immune systems ... as do immunocompromised individuals such as those with HIV. Mainly the T cells are not in great shape. The T cells are the Black ops or Navy Seals of your immune system, when the first in Marines get their ass kicked ........... so to speak.

Now the Spanish flu affected everyone no matter the age and had a 60% kill rate as opposed to the basic flu's of toady which have a 2% or so death rate. Anything that has potential to go global gets attention real fast, and should. There is one strain of flu that got stopped cold in the late 90's that would have killed wayy more then you want to know.

So talk it over with your doc or pediatrician. They (the vaccines) have excellent safety rates.

Deaton Design

They way I look at it, flu is a disease that can kill. This new one has caused over 600 fatalities nationwide, which isnt a large number, but they predict it will get worse over flu season. The cdc announced yesterday that this new strain causes blood clots in the lungs, something that is very dangerous. Smallpox, measles, polio,mumps, and other diseases were bad years ago until a vaccine was created. Im sure back then that people were worried about taking the shot too, but those vaccines stopped those diseases in their tracks. The more this flu spreads, the better chance for a mutation that we might have alot more trouble with. Will I take the shot? Dont know yet. Its not available here yet, but I do take regular flu shots, and pneumonia also every five years, but Im like everyone else, and will have to make an informed choice by what my doc says, and my daughter and sons pediatrician. Hopefully the makers of this vaccine have done their job and the disease will be stopped before too many innocent kids and adults get sick.
There are alot of people that frequent this site. Im wondering how many have had family members or friends that have been sick with H1N1?

Once again proving your great value to this site. Smartass answers to serious questions are a waste.

Vaccines can be deadly in rare cases (just look at the 1970's swine flu vaccine) so you have to weigh the risks, especially when you are talking about your own children. I never get the flu and I never get flu shots but for my son I am going to consult our pediatrician (who I really trust) and take his advice. I expect that he will recommend that he gets vaccinated.

:peace!:

Oh I thought this was a Flu Forum....

Replicator

I have heard and read news reports indicating that persons that get a regular flu shot will be far more susceptible to catching the H!N! flu virus.

TheSnowman

Ok, maybe I should have asked this differently. I know that this is BASICALLY the normal flu, as long as you catch it early, and it doesn't start taking you down. My question is...when someone pukes these days, do they have to go to the doctor to find out which strand of it they have, or can you just treat it like the normal flu, and isolate yourself from people, and just hope for the best?

S

SignTech

Ok, maybe I should have asked this differently. I know that this is BASICALLY the normal flu, as long as you catch it early, and it doesn't start taking you down. My question is...when someone pukes these days, do they have to go to the doctor to find out which strand of it they have, or can you just treat it like the normal flu, and isolate yourself from people, and just hope for the best?

The Stomache Flu or GI Flu ........ if this is what you are asking is a misnomer ......