Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can This Happen?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by PMG, May 21, 2006.

1. PMG

PMG Very Active Member

Feb 1, 2005
    Can a virus,make a hard drive expire,as in DEAD,my Friend has a PC that he was downloading something from the net,and the PC slowed way down,and stooped working,he reformatted it a few times,and now when he tries to start it up,it goes to the windows start up screen and reboots it self over and over?

Tags:
  2. Pro Signs & Graphix

Pro Signs & Graphix Very Active Member

Apr 18, 2006
    Yes, a virus can kill a hard drive, and many other things. If he can load the OS on the HDD, it most likely is still okay. Unfortunately, of the possibilities is the corruption of the system (motherboard) BIOS - which can usually be reloaded (re-flashed).

Before he gets to wild (probably too late) - he should look and see if there are any XP issues causing the restart upon booting. If that gets him nowhere, start at A and move to Z.

If you can get a list of parts and pieces (manufacturer and model numbers) that he has in his machine, we will attempt to help. (Unless he has a pre-packaged machine like Sony, Dell, etc.)

3. Techman

Techman Major Contributor

Jun 24, 2003
    michigan
    Just go get another drive and be done with it. They are so cheap now. And then he will have TWO drives. One dead, adn one alive. If the ead one revives eh will have 2 good drives. One fo ruseage and one with a ghose image onit. Then eh will never again be without a working machine.

4. signage

signage Major Contributor

Oct 5, 2005
    Penn
    Try a secure data removal program to totally erase the drive then reinstall.

5. PMG

PMG Very Active Member

Feb 1, 2005
    Ive did it all,,i went and got him a new 80gig hard drive for 40 bucks,,all sytems are ago now,machine is back in operation!!! THANKS

6. Pro Signs & Graphix

Pro Signs & Graphix Very Active Member

Apr 18, 2006
    Glad to hear that he is running.

He is still not out of the woods yet - he NEEDS to find out what the ACTUAL cause was. If it was virus related, he may need to look at his software - and maybe, just maybe the drive was on its leg anyway.

7. Cadmn

Cadmn Very Active Member

Aug 19, 2005
    Pro you might want to run software from cd first as if its holding in memory It can take out the new drive if its a goodie(virus)

8. PMG

PMG Very Active Member

Feb 1, 2005
    Ya it was the drive ,the bios was ok and i also updated it,i had a few spare hard drives,and tried them in it before he went and got a new one,and i also put a new virus protection on his PC,because he was not running anything,LOL

9. PMG

PMG Very Active Member

Feb 1, 2005
    I did nothing was found!!!Thanks