• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Can This Happen?

PMG

Can a virus,make a hard drive expire,as in DEAD,my Friend has a PC that he was downloading something from the net,and the PC slowed way down,and stooped working,he reformatted it a few times,and now when he tries to start it up,it goes to the windows start up screen and reboots it self over and over?

Yes, a virus can kill a hard drive, and many other things. If he can load the OS on the HDD, it most likely is still okay. Unfortunately, of the possibilities is the corruption of the system (motherboard) BIOS - which can usually be reloaded (re-flashed).

Before he gets to wild (probably too late) - he should look and see if there are any XP issues causing the restart upon booting. If that gets him nowhere, start at A and move to Z.

If you can get a list of parts and pieces (manufacturer and model numbers) that he has in his machine, we will attempt to help. (Unless he has a pre-packaged machine like Sony, Dell, etc.)

Techman

Just go get another drive and be done with it. They are so cheap now. And then he will have TWO drives. One dead, adn one alive. If the ead one revives eh will have 2 good drives. One fo ruseage and one with a ghose image onit. Then eh will never again be without a working machine.

PMG

Ive did it all,,i went and got him a new 80gig hard drive for 40 bucks,,all sytems are ago now,machine is back in operation!!! THANKS

Glad to hear that he is running.

He is still not out of the woods yet - he NEEDS to find out what the ACTUAL cause was. If it was virus related, he may need to look at his software - and maybe, just maybe the drive was on its leg anyway.

Cadmn

Pro you might want to run software from cd first as if its holding in memory It can take out the new drive if its a goodie(virus)

PMG

Ya it was the drive ,the bios was ok and i also updated it,i had a few spare hard drives,and tried them in it before he went and got a new one,and i also put a new virus protection on his PC,because he was not running anything,LOL

PMG

Cadmn said:
Pro you might want to run software from cd first as if its holding in memory It can take out the new drive if its a goodie(virus)
I did nothing was found!!!Thanks