Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discussion Can you believe it....................... ??

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by Gino, Sep 26, 2019.

1. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Had a truck scheduled today for a long time customer. We've been lettering their trucks for at least 20 years or so. We also do their trade show displays, and many other signs which go all over the country into their areas of a store.

This particular truck was pulled over about 3 weeks ago for not having their name on the truck. They had their DOT numbers, but no name. They were cited and hadda pay a kinda hefty fine. When they got the ticket, they made a paper 8.5" x 11" piece of paper printout with their name on it, but they taped it on the doors with clear packing tape.

This is the first part of the thread. Did you ever try to get packing tape off a truck that's been on for a few weeks ?? It's horrible. It came off in itsy-bitsy teenie weenie pieces of shredded nothingness.

Any ideas to get that crap off.... other than pulling your hair out. None of the glue-off stuff worked??

The second part is..... About a week ago, another good customer of ours called looking for small "LLC" letters in black for their truck doors. Seems PA DOT has now begun pulling vehicles over and citing them, if CORP, LLC, INC or any other part of the full name is missing. They were cited 3 times since the beginning of September. I never heard of that one.

Any input or knowledge on this, other than looking it up ??

Tags:
  2. Eric H

Eric H Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Pennsylvania
    Wallpaper steamer works extremely well on vinyl maybe it would work on tape.

• Like Like x 1
  3. 2B

2B Very Active Member

May 5, 2011
    TX
    The clear tape is a total PITA. see this more often than we want to for 18 Wheelers, even with our repeat customers who we work odd hours for so they don't have any downtime.
    Once it cooked in the sun........ complete FUBAR
    We don't even bother with rapid remover or like products. go straight for the removal wheel (Zapper), then use the fluids to clean.

cannot comment about the full company name

4. Raven Graphics

Raven Graphics New Member

Sep 13, 2019
    Calgary
    I would recommend the Eraser Wheel to take off the tape as well, then use some orange gel to remove the glue residue. If the surface underneath can be damaged with the heat put off by the friction, some tint scrapers can be pretty handy.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    What is a tint scraper ?? The only ones I've seen that work are metal and I can't use that on a vehicles and the plastic chizzlers aren't aggressive enough. I did end up using my Zapper, but it didn't react like vinyl. It got very gooey/gummy.

6. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    Well I'll be, I thought this was going to be political thread. Let me help...

Did you try putting a committee together and impeaching the tape off the door?

But really, try some aggressive vinyl, like a scrap of the reflective, and use that to pull the bits off. Even if you leave behind residue off the vinyl, it's better to deal with the devil you know.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Raven Graphics

Sep 13, 2019
    Calgary
    They've got these essentially plastic razor blades that are quite rigid (https://www.amazon.ca/Scraper-Window-Removing-Plastic-Blades/dp/B077TJ9LWN). I used them on the plastic bumper of an RV I was doing 30 yo graphics removal on. The eraser wheel would have burnt a hole straight through the thing, so I had to go in by hand. I will admit that it took some time and elbow grease, but the bumper was undamaged.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    If you get a knife sharpener and a room key from a hotel, you can turn it into these things all day long... They just don't fit in the blade holder.

9. Raven Graphics

Sep 13, 2019
    Calgary
    I guess you could do the same with a hard card, although I can only imagine the hand cramp you'd have after removing a larger graphic with something like that lol

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    No kidding, I only discovered this when I was stipping vinyl at a bank, after midnight, and discovered I hadn't packed a razor blade.

11. Boudica

Boudica Active Member

Dec 21, 2018
    Spokane, WA
    HIghly recommend the plastic razor blades - they are amazing. I use them to clean built up ink off our FB belt. Way safer than an actual razor blade, and much kinder on my fingernails - which is what I was doing before my boss got me the plastic blades. Oh, and for removing other stuff - it's way better than a lil' chizler

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    +1 for Weird Al profile pic.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Texas_Signmaker

Texas_Signmaker Very Active Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    Ohhhh the Friday night midnight bank debranding jobs. Good memories.

Who cares if Trump is trying to get dirt. What if he found dirt? I'd like to know, but if there is nothing there then oh well.

14. gabagoo

gabagoo Major Contributor

Oct 10, 2006
    Vaughan, Ontario
    Plastic razor blade and a steamer

speaking of steamers, I won a Conair clothes steamer in a golf tournament a few years ago and I decided to use it for work and it was great in that within a minute the gizmo was forcing steam through the nozzle unlike my Wagner wallpaper steamer which can take upwards of 20 minutes to get it steaming.
    The bad news is that the clothes steamer stopped working because I used regular tap water and somehow the mineral content gummed up the works and I never could get it back working like it did..Oh well back to the Wagner which does not care about minerals it seems.

15. Old Timer

Old Timer Member

Nov 2, 2018
    Livonia
    refer to section 390.19 and 390.21 of the FSMCA in regards to vehicle marking. we have state rule that conflicts with the fed, Michigan vehicle code, section 257.723 but in paragraph 3 states " a vehicle in compliance with the federal motor carrier safety regulations is considered to be in compliance

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    I think it's got something to do with how he tried to get dirt. I mean, if dirt is there, go get it! But don't hold up aid in an attempt to be persuasive, aka extortion.
    In any case, he's an oompa loompa, and I personally don't care for him, but I have a hard time complaining about the economy at this moment. I just want NPR to cover something other than trump tweets, and it would be nice if the democrats focused on any agenda aside from 'can we get trump out somehow?'
    And seriously, I miss the old way politicians spoke, with a sedated cadence and an occasional fist on the podium. Now it seems everyone wants to f*cking yell all the time.

But really, I've used scraps of high tack vinyl to pull stuff like the film left on dibond in the sun off. It doesn't get everything, but it's a nice start. Some things work better to 'rip' them off with a snap, others are better with a slow methodical peel.
    Nothing beats the Saturday morning crowd coming upon you while stretching a banner and getting asked, "What's an Ozark?"

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious! Hilarious! x 1
  17. d fleming

d fleming Very Active Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Middleburg, Florida
    Down here in FL I have never heard of having to have inc, llc, etc on doors. DOT#s sure, name of company, yep, some trades also require city and phone. Never heard of anyone cited for that. But hey, things change right? As far as the tape +1 for heat and plastic razor. The last time I had one like that it actually took some super find wet sanding and polishing to make the door even presentable before properly lettering it. PITA

18. CSOCSO

CSOCSO I don't hate paint, I just overlay it.

Jul 18, 2012
    Florida
    out of everything that was mentioned I would go with the eraser wheels too.

19. Texas_Signmaker

Texas_Signmaker Very Active Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    The is no substance on either side anymore... its literally a screaming match and they both suck.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. petepaz

petepaz Major Contributor

Feb 14, 2007
    NJ/NY/PA
    unfortunately i think a lot of it depends on the cop and if he/she has a bug up his/her ***.
    in NJ the lettering (dot, gvw, name) supposed to be a min of 3" i had a customer get pulled over in NY and the cop had a ruler and was measuring the truck lettering when they are stopped at the traffic lights.. their lettering was like 2.875"...bam...ticket...WTF really
    i have seen the trucks with the paper taped on the door (like this situation) and no ticket. that is not even permanent???
    i have seen trucks with the metal lettering and numbers you put on your mailbox that you get a home depot and no ticket. they are not the right size. baffles me.
    that why i say it just depends on the mood of the cops

as far as the packing tape on doors, yeah sucks, i always use the wheel and plastic razor blades