Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can you print Grey?

Discussion in 'Mutoh' started by Speeddm, Apr 4, 2007.

1. Speeddm

Speeddm Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Hi there every one just wondering if Mutoh have any problems printing greys. I know Roland machines print greeny grey.

Tags:
  2. mystysue

mystysue Active Member

Mar 14, 2006
    hmm my greys on my roland arnt greeny..lol

3. stuart@accupress.com

stuart@accupress.com Member

Nov 10, 2005
    My Mutoh greys are grey.

4. Replicator

Replicator Major Contributor

Nov 19, 2006
    Sun City, AZ
    The answer, "and I don't even have a Mutoh" is YES ! ! !

If you can see the color, you can print it !

5. ChiknNutz

ChiknNutz Major Contributor

Apr 18, 2003
    My greys come out pretty good. This is not so much the machine, but more likely the Media Profiles used, and more importantly is the overall Color Management you personally use in your own shop.

6. bigbly

bigbly Member

Aug 13, 2003
    Graphixtreme is right.
    Inkjets use 4 colours to print grey, so your profiling needs to get that mix exactly right to look grey.
    Others colours won't be so obvious if you're profile is out, grey is the test.
    So it's not the type of printer which is the problem, it's the colour management of the software running it.

7. Graphics2u

Graphics2u Very Active Member

Jan 31, 2007
    Iowa
    Same trouble at times

I have to say that I have the same trouble with greys on my mutoh. I use all the correct media profiles. not so bad on real light grey but the mid to darker greys definately take on a greenish tint to them. Notice this mostly when printing vector imageswith more solid colors.

I've tried to make a few adjustments but I don't know agreat deal about the profile and what to change so I didn't want to mess up something.

Any suggestions on what I can try???

Flexi 7.6 and Mutoh Falcon outdoor jr., usually printing on oracal 3651.

8. tsmith@oracal.com

tsmith@oracal.com Member

Jun 8, 2005
    Are you using a laminate? Laminates (regardless of manufacturer) exaggerate the colors used to make a process gray. It's difficult to guess how it will look once laminated so we recommend producing a small proof on the actual media you plan to use, laminate it and then check in the general lighting conditions the sign will be viewed.

That said, check the CMYK values for the gray you've selected. If you've used something with only a black value you should consider using the color replacement feature of your RIP software.

Todd Smith
    Director of Technical Services
    ORACAL USA

9. Techman

Techman Major Contributor

Jun 24, 2003
    michigan
    have you tried to bumb the magenta a couple of points?
    Just a touch.

10. thewood

thewood Very Active Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Tennessee
    Or lower the Cyan (or better yet Lt Cyan if using 6 color). Sounds like a profile issue, but this could be a simple/temp fix.

11. Graphics2u

Graphics2u Very Active Member

Jan 31, 2007
    Iowa
    Should those changes be made in the linearization table of the profile or in the Color Tab in the rip-n-print of Flexi?

12. thewood

thewood Very Active Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Tennessee
    If you are comfortable and knowledgeable enough to tweak the profile, that could be a permanent fix. Just tweaking the color sliders in the Advanced>Color tab in the Flexi RIP would be a much easier but temporary patch for what seems to be a permanent problem.

13. bigbly

bigbly Member

Aug 13, 2003
    sorry but the only real solution is to make your own profiles on your printers...

14. Jackpine

Jackpine Major Contributor

Same here, no problems. The rip I use allows me to print K only. This with a grayscale is real good. But no problems with CMYK gray.

15. John Butto

John Butto Very Active Member

Jan 9, 2007
    gray printing

If you are tweeking the RIP when you print then all the other colors along with it will be thrown off and not matching PMS as they should be, the print K only in grayscale that was metioned is great but only if there are no other colors involved. It needs to be with profiles or at the source of your software (Photoshop, Illustrator, etc.) The dark grays are a problem, inside they look gray and outside in the sun either green or red grays or just the reverse with gray in the sun and inside with the color change. Try the different PMS colors such as black 7C at 90% or spot color CMYK at 14 0 14 75. As the other post mentioned the overlam will change the outcome also.