• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Can you print Grey?

Speeddm

Hi there every one just wondering if Mutoh have any problems printing greys. I know Roland machines print greeny grey.

ChiknNutz

My greys come out pretty good. This is not so much the machine, but more likely the Media Profiles used, and more importantly is the overall Color Management you personally use in your own shop.

bigbly

Graphixtreme is right.
Inkjets use 4 colours to print grey, so your profiling needs to get that mix exactly right to look grey.
Others colours won't be so obvious if you're profile is out, grey is the test.
So it's not the type of printer which is the problem, it's the colour management of the software running it.

Graphics2u

Same trouble at times

My greys come out pretty good. This is not so much the machine, but more likely the Media Profiles used, and more importantly is the overall Color Management you personally use in your own shop.

I have to say that I have the same trouble with greys on my mutoh. I use all the correct media profiles. not so bad on real light grey but the mid to darker greys definately take on a greenish tint to them. Notice this mostly when printing vector imageswith more solid colors.

I've tried to make a few adjustments but I don't know agreat deal about the profile and what to change so I didn't want to mess up something.

Any suggestions on what I can try???

Flexi 7.6 and Mutoh Falcon outdoor jr., usually printing on oracal 3651.

Are you using a laminate? Laminates (regardless of manufacturer) exaggerate the colors used to make a process gray. It's difficult to guess how it will look once laminated so we recommend producing a small proof on the actual media you plan to use, laminate it and then check in the general lighting conditions the sign will be viewed.

That said, check the CMYK values for the gray you've selected. If you've used something with only a black value you should consider using the color replacement feature of your RIP software.

Todd Smith
Director of Technical Services
ORACAL USA

Graphics2u

have you tried to bumb the magenta a couple of points?
Just a touch.

Or lower the Cyan (or better yet Lt Cyan if using 6 color). Sounds like a profile issue, but this could be a simple/temp fix.

Should those changes be made in the linearization table of the profile or in the Color Tab in the rip-n-print of Flexi?

thewood

If you are comfortable and knowledgeable enough to tweak the profile, that could be a permanent fix. Just tweaking the color sliders in the Advanced>Color tab in the Flexi RIP would be a much easier but temporary patch for what seems to be a permanent problem.

John Butto

gray printing

If you are tweeking the RIP when you print then all the other colors along with it will be thrown off and not matching PMS as they should be, the print K only in grayscale that was metioned is great but only if there are no other colors involved. It needs to be with profiles or at the source of your software (Photoshop, Illustrator, etc.) The dark grays are a problem, inside they look gray and outside in the sun either green or red grays or just the reverse with gray in the sun and inside with the color change. Try the different PMS colors such as black 7C at 90% or spot color CMYK at 14 0 14 75. As the other post mentioned the overlam will change the outcome also.