• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Can you teach me to print shirts???

BSTCLOTHING

Send him to Ryonets web site. When i started those guys were very helpful. There How to screen printing video is great, without that i would have gave up a long time ago! But on the other side of it i know what it feels like to invest time in someone who you think will be grateful and they end up totally letting you down.

BSTCLOTHING

I had a guy call me, at 9 at night, and want me to teach him how to print shirts. He was a proud new owner of a "four color" shirt machine (4 color 1 station). I asked him first what software, printer and film he was using to make the film positives to expose the screens, I lost him at that point. This guy had No Graphic Programs, No ink, No squeegies, No screens, No dryer, No exposure unit, No washout tank, No way to make postitives....he got suckered on a machine worth about $50 and payed $2K for it. He told me it would only take me a day to show him how to print shirts...can't be that hard. I feel bad, he is an older guy, him and his wife thought they were going to retire on printing shirts.

Should I call him back and "help" him in some way? I do feel bad he got ripped, but....I guess I could sell him some of my old stuff and get him started, but he is going to have to spend at least $10K to do that....

Actually after re-reading this part i would have told him to F off. I dont put up with anybody demeaning my work.

mark in tx

If you feel generous, buy him a copy of the book "How to print T-Shirts for fun and profit"
If you don't feel generous, tell him that whoever sold him the equipment ripped him off, get his money back.
And leave it at that.

signswi

Point him towards the nearest University with a Fine Arts program and tell him to audit some screen printing classes with all the other retirees.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If I may.... I'd like to post an observation....................

While what mushputz presented was kinda far-fetched....... how is it any different from all the people at this site ??

Aren't the vast majority of people around here asking questions to things they have no clue about ?? From how to price...... to how to make...... to where to find just about every thing imaginable ??

Really, what's the difference ??​

If that's how you truly feel, why are any of you here ?? :corndog:

boxerbay

While what mushputz presented was kinda far-fetched....... how is it any different from all the people at this site ??

Aren't the vast majority of people around here asking questions to things they have no clue about ?? From how to price...... to how to make...... to where to find just about every thing imaginable ??
winner. cut the guy some slack. he's an old fart that got duped out of 2K. The world needs more compassion. ask him if he really wants to learn to come in and screen and clean racks for free so he understands the process. then point him to printa.com so he can purchase what he needs. if anything you get free labor hrs out of it and some cleaned screens and some good Karma. No good deed goes unnoticed. Geez I hated cleaning screens!!!

Bigdawg

Just Me

The difference is that this place is here for people to learn about signs and share what they know. We should expect questions and people who are learning. And - in theory - as they learn and grow they share and contribute to the community...

much different than a competitor down the way saying "I'm in over my head - could ya' pull me out so I can compete with you?"

but that's just my opinion

Marlene

The difference is that this place is here for people to learn about signs and share what they know. We should expect questions and people who are learning. And - in theory - as they learn and grow they share and contribute to the community...

much different than a competitor down the way saying "I'm in over my head - could ya' pull me out so I can compete with you?"

+1

wrapworld2

:popcorn: wow really interesting thoughts here... I'd say help the guy out ...... surely there is something he can do for you to save you money if he is sincere in his word. KARMA is what you sow and I've made so good choices and some bad.... Do what your heart tells you to....... Remember all the questions you've asked over the years that got answered for free...... Good people make GREAT decisions.!!! and my quote is: Great Ideas Come from TWO people pulling towards a common goal. It will pay off if you help him, I'm proof. but the one comment about the granny Hooter shot made me laugh out loud and my wife just looked very odd at me unknowingly...lol......... thanks for that one.....!! lee

Gino

Premium Subscriber

Wait a minute..... wait a minute..... wait a minute.....

You're actually telling me that the only difference between this guy mushputz found and the people here is...... that the people here.... ARE here and not somewhere else ??

So, if this guy that you don't want to help shows up here as a person wanting to learn.... we fix him. If he's out on the street..... F*** him. :noway:

Well, now isn't that interesting ?? We do stereotype and have prejudices afterall. :ROFLMAO:

Sorry, but if someone came to me honestly and for help, I'd help them. I've done it many times. I don't give away the farm, but I can't be the way some of you are. I find it easier to turn some people down here who demand the help, simply because they're here and feel entitled to it, than some poor sap that just got bamboozled. I'm also sure it depends on my mood, but for the most part, I can't see your rationale.

Bigdawg

Just Me
Wait a minute..... wait a minute..... wait a minute.....

You're actually telling me that the only difference between this guy mushputz found and the people here is...... that the people here.... ARE here and not somewhere else ??

So, if this guy that you don't want to help shows up here as a person wanting to learn.... we fix him. If he's out on the street..... F*** him. :noway:
Well, now isn't that interesting ?? We do stereotype and have prejudices afterall. :ROFLMAO:

Sorry, but if someone came to me honestly and for help, I'd help them. I've done it many times. I don't give away the farm, but I can't be the way some of you are. I find it easier to turn some people down here who demand the help, simply because they're here and feel entitled to it, than some poor sap that just got bamboozled. I'm also sure it depends on my mood, but for the most part, I can't see your rationale.

not sure what you mean by stereotype or prejudice...

I'd marginally help - I like the idea of having them clean screens - that's how our entry-level employees started. and you can ask those sign companies around my area that know me - I don't hesitate to help...

but if they called me and told me they just bought a buttload of equipment and could I come show them how to use it? I'd refer them here...

Mosh

Pretty much this guy wanted me to train him to be my competition....not that
antyone can out price me.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
not sure what you mean by stereotype or prejudice...

I'd marginally help - I like the idea of having them clean screens - that's how our entry-level employees started. and you can ask those sign companies around my area that know me - I don't hesitate to help...

but if they called me and told me they just bought a buttload of equipment and could I come show them how to use it? I'd refer them here...

Where did we wander off the trail, Stacy ??

I won't quote the part, I think you know what I'm talking about and are playing a game. How did we get from the guy needing and asking for help to how you bring employees into your shop and at what entry level ??

You out-right changed the whole game around.

My take is from what you wrote.... you won't help someone that literally knocks at your door asking for help, but you'll help a complete stranger here at s101 without knowing a thing about them.

What is the difference ?? That's all I was asking.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Okay mushputz.... you changed your story a little now. Before, he was coming for help and you felt sorry for him and were unsure what to do.

Y'all talk about making your competition. That's true, but doesn't it make any sense that you might be able to control it and form a good relationship ??

Just today, I guy that had bought vinyl from me a few times over the years and later set up a small part-time vinyl shop..... stopped by and contracted us to do a wrap on a bus. We also set up a pricing scale for him to buy other stuff from us. When he saw our flatbed running, his jaw hit the floor. He said.... I quit. I'm gonna have you do everything for me now and I won't even get my hands dirty.

Well, he's still going to do things on the side, but he doesn't bother me. In fact, I encourage people to do these things. It keeps the low-ballers away from me and when they come my way... I send them to people like this.

Nope, I just don't understand why some of you help some, but not others, based on certain facts... which seem completely invalid.

Dwelltime

I'm not sure what you do, Mosh, but if you're currently a screenprinter, allow him to follow you around for a day. Or find a local printer who wouldn't mind having a visitor with a lot of questions. I believe in helping people, especially in this economy. He may need the extra income. BTW, when I started my business 30 years ago, I had never even seen a silkscreen. Talk about knowing nothing...

broli4000

I have actually dealt with this exact situation a few times before. It really depends on the people involved, but I usually help them a little bit to get started (just the basics, like what they will need to buy, the basic concepts and then tell them to buy a case of shirts and practice. Any more than that, and I will have to charge a consultation fee per hour).

The problem that I have here is that you don't honestly know if their story is true or not. They could have bought a cheap ass press on Ebay or on Craigslist thinking "It can't be that hard" and then realized once it was all set up that they have no clue what to do. The simple fact that they said "It should only take a day.... it can't be that hard" would have really irked me on the spot and would have gotten a very forceful "GET OUT".

I've been both fortunate and unfortunate enough to be in screen printing and signs for most of my career and I have worked my tail off in order to gain the experience and knowledge I have to run a business. I have a hard enough time dealing with customers that think we are useless, that I have 0 sympathy for any idiot that doesn't do the research and thinks its simple to do.

All in all.... While you can gain a friend out of this, it doesn't really sound like he even knows what he is in for and that once you tell him that he needs $10k more in equipment and supplies, he'll be selling that press on Ebay in a day. I say, give him an hour of your time and explain the situation he's in and let him decide what he wants to do and see how he reacts. If the guy is a jerk, let him figure it out. If he's cool and understanding, help him out and work out a little deal for half priced printing or something.

Farmboy

I've asked plenty of questions on here, but I've never bought a piece of equipment then come here asking people to teach me how to use it. I help people ALL of the time...and by helping I mean, change a flat for someone in a parking lot (slipped and busted my knuckles on the pavement, but so what), help someone load lumber in their car at Lowes, take a shopping cart from them as I'm heading into the store and so on and so on. Not tooting my own horn, just saying I help others out plenty and ask for nothing in return. I draw the line at helping someone start up the same thing I'm doing. I help out other sign and shirt folk in the area if someone runs low or needs a hand, but I'm not teaching anyone. Sorry, but I'm pretty sure if you were to walk into any other business and ask them to teach you how to do it you would be shown the door. Last people I helped out with some ink and advice opened an shop a few weeks later. They are no longer there, but their low ball pricing sent ripples through the area.