• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

'Cannot find port" error message

Cyclynn

Hello, Good People, I am having trouble with FlexiSign 12. I just converted from 18 years of using a Macintosh platform to using Windows (now using Windows 7). Ever since we bought the new computers we've been having trouble with cutting. Sometimes it cuts just fine, and then all of a sudden we get an error message that says "Cannot Find Port". The only way we know to resolve the problem is to shut everything down and restart. Many times we have to restart several times. One time last week it took 17 restarts. You can imagine what that does to production time. Now, too, it has started cutting only partially on larger jobs.

I have a SummaGraphics D750 Pro cutter with a Keyspan usb/serial adapter. I purchased a new one, thinking that might be the problem, but the issue happened before and after the new adapter.

Flexi can't seem to help me, and neither can Summa. Summa suggested I try cutting from Illustrator, and sent me a download for that plug-in. I have not tried it yet for one reason only... time. Time to learn how to cut from Illustrator and to play with that notion.

Has anyone had this problem? Did you resolve it? Do you have any ideas that will help? When I do the Illustrator experiment (to isolate whether it is a Flexi problem or a computer problem), I will repost on this thread.

Thank you - Lynn

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
The user manual says that machine has a USB port. Have you tried using that? USB to Serial is always problematic.

Cyclynn

The user manual says that machine has a USB port. Have you tried using that? USB to Serial is always problematic.
Hi VanderJ - maybe it does now, but when I bought the cutter 18 years ago, it was a serial port. That is why I have the adapter on it. Pre-usb :) Lynn

ProPDF

If you have a USB cable over 14-15 ft without a power adapter (not a conversion adapter) you will run into issues. You are sending data. Some adapters can work but some adapters are simply not compatible due to poor quality or requiring a driver to work with certain OS.

On another note we always get the port error for printing or cutting when sending the first job to any machine. It will say (not responding) at the top of the PM window. We click re-send and it works and sends the file just fine. So there are some issues with Flexi 12 and that port read error. We suggest sending the same file 2 times when just turning on the computer and software. Once things run smooth on the first file all the following files and process work as they should.

equippaint

Id swap the USB cable to rule that out as the culprit. We had a similar problem and that took care of it. Every few months the USB port on my laptop (win 7) will stop working also and its fixed with a reboot.

bannertime

Agreed with everyone else. USB cables should be limited to like 6ft for cutter use. I burnt out two longer cable this year until I switched to a long serial cable plugged into a small serial/usb adapter at the computer. That fixed all my port errors and haven't had them since. Which it seem like that's what you are doing, so can you tell us what port your PM is sending to?

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
Also, make sure the USB port isn't being powered down at any point (it's in the PC's settings, but I don't remember where). If the port powers down (energy saver mode, or whatever) it can cause connection issues. I'd check that- then check USB cables/adapters/etc.

Cyclynn

Thank you, all. There are some useful suggestions to try here. The thing that confuses me is that I've been using this cable/adapter system for 10 years without trouble from my Macintosh computers. It only cropped up when two things happened: I switched to the Windows platform and upgraded to Flexi 12. I am using Com Port 3

Christian @ 2CT Media

Thank you, all. There are some useful suggestions to try here. The thing that confuses me is that I've been using this cable/adapter system for 10 years without trouble from my Macintosh computers. It only cropped up when two things happened: I switched to the Windows platform and upgraded to Flexi 12. I am using Com Port 3
do your baudrates match and is the driver for the converter cable up to date?

SignBurst PCs

USB/Serial adapters and/or drivers can be very flaky. I would be very careful with length of the cable and USB power settings (especially on new computers). In my opinion, you may be better served by installing a PCIe Serial Port if your computer's motherboard has an extra PCIe port. It most likely does and the Serial Port add-in cards are easy to install.

Cyclynn

Hi GA Southpaw... I just got back from Georgia! My computer guy talked me through disabling the sleep or power down mode for any usb connections. I hope that works, but we haven't tried cutting yet today... Lynn

Cyclynn

Hi GASouthpaw! I just got back from GA! My computer guy just talked me through disabling the usb sleep modes. I hope that works! Thanks for the suggestion, and I'll let you know.

JBarraxSW

hi Cyclynn.
This is a common problem for people using Flexi for the first time. I agree with SignBurst, USB can be flaky. We generally recommend using Flexi with an ethernet connection for LF printers.For cutters, I prefer a serial port. This article from our Support blog may shed some light on the issue.

Cyclynn

Hello all! Update: Sign Shop for sale. Seriously. Oh... update on the communication problem. The error message actually says 'cannot open port'. New cables, disabled usb 'sleep' modes. Neither worked. The only good thing is that I can get one cut on each restart (keep you fingers crossed).

To Jerry from SIGN Warehouse - thank you for that article. I wish it had been helpful. I've been using Flexi for 18 years, and I've never had this problem. Your article didn't address my Summa cutter.Everyone 'sees' everyone, otherwise, it wouldn't cut at all. The fact that it won't open the port after a cut is what confuses me.

A nice fella at Summa suggested cutting from Illustrator as a means of ruling out software or cutter issues. I don't know how to cut from Illustrator. I haven't taught myself Illustrator yet, and frankly, I'm exhausted. I'm working late tonight because the cutting of my jobs approaching deadline is taking so long. Can anyone walk me through the steps of testing a cut job through Illustrator, please? They had sent me the plug-in (SummaCut Drivers, Firmware, and Software | SummaCut Downloads) which I've installed. I've gotten that far.

Please continue to try to help me! I've got no where to turn. I live in a tiny town. I thought that when I switched from Mac to PC everything would be ok. There are no Mac techs in this town, so I had to problem solve everything myself. Now I'm having to do the same thing with all new computers!

Christian @ 2CT Media

Again have you checked your baud rate settings on the PC driver and the Summa cutter, if they don't match the port can't communicate. You will get some talk on common frequencies then it will lose connection.

Cyclynn

Can you tell me how to do that, please? If not, I'll check with my computer guy. It does cut, every time I restart. I only get one, two cuts if I'm really lucky.

SignBurst PCs

I would really consider putting in a Serial Port Add-In card. I am sure that your computer guy would be able to install one for you. If not, I would be more than happy to help.