• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Canon Colorado 1650 FEEDBACK

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
Hey good people, Last year I completed an analysis and recommendation assignment for a long-established safety & braille sign shop. After tests, conclusion was flatbed UV was only way to go. One in particular (no bias at all) the Mutoh XPJ661UH delivers great ADA braille in multi passes, clear or in colour. Only drawback is max bed size 483mm x 594mm, kinda B2. It's slow due to multi-passes but faster and better than indentations and beads. Mimaki JVs in multi-pass mode work well too. Colorado/UV Gel is a great system but for braille?

i dont think you can build the ink high enough on the Colorado. But it's really not for it.
Back in the day id probably try it when we had less volume, But these days the dont have 2-3 hours of the day to mess about :rolleyes:

What i found with ADA signs, is it's low volume. It's most popular on those Mutoh & Mimaki small flatbeds. Also DCS flatbeds...

Technically, Direct Color Systems has a patent on printing ADA signs, so you're suppose to use their machine. https://www.directcolorsystems.com/applications-2/ada-compliant-braille-sign-printers/
Although i've seen their print quality at the last tradeshow and wasn't impressed.

IF you had to do volume, you could get a faster machine like a Canon Arizona with double row of heads or even the 6170xts with white ink. Or swissQprint loaded with heads.
but you need volume for that.

Christian @ 2CT Media

Hey good people, Last year I completed an analysis and recommendation assignment for a long-established safety & braille sign shop. After tests, conclusion was flatbed UV was only way to go. One in particular (no bias at all) the Mutoh XPJ661UH delivers great ADA braille in multi passes, clear or in colour. Only drawback is max bed size 483mm x 594mm, kinda B2. It's slow due to multi-passes but faster and better than indentations and beads. Mimaki JVs in multi-pass mode work well too. Colorado/UV Gel is a great system but for braille?

No, the Colorado is a roll system.

Behrmon

Pr. Bear-Mon
Just coming back to this thread for some quick not very technical feedback on my experience after just over about a month of usage in our shop. It's a beast! I wish we had the space for another, we've got a huge shop but a lot of equipment. The throughput on the 1650 is really impressive with quality to match. We're still running 2 of the 3 570s but that's only because we've got that kind of work load and currently I find it easier for double sided banner runs. We've run probably 12-15 full ProMaster wraps, several trailer wraps and tons of vehicle spot graphic jobs with no issue and great image output, Reds are Red and Gray is Gray! The installers have all given pretty solid feedback on working with this inkset paired with IJ180cv3 and 280 as well, vehicle graphics were my biggest concern on bringing this machine in and so far we've been pleasantly surprised. It cranks thru decal, banner & poster work without looking back, even in High Quality (production mode) the detail is there! The few "quirks" that we encounter (having been a 570 shop since their release) were easy enough to adapt to. We knew the M was coming out but already have a couple of R series that can output nice White so can't speak to that as we brought in the 1650 instead of waiting. We've been able to transfer a good bit of our decal work that typical would be say a 3ml vinyl with laminate to straight up 6ml with no lam saving us on both materials and labor. Hopefully my feedback will be a positive after a year as it is after this short time. There's my .02 for now.