• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Canon Colorado M Series.

The printer can be printing 24hrs per day, at that volume the cost of service contract is negligible. If your running the printer an hour per day then yes the service contract price can seem high
Let's just agree to disagree! No matter how many hours a day that I would run this printer I would find the servicecontract too expensive and their service subpar.
Every single cent in Canons pocket is a cent out of yours.

victor bogdanov

Let's just agree to disagree! No matter how many hours a day that I would run this printer I would find the servicecontract too expensive and their service subpar.
Every single cent in Canons pocket is a cent out of yours.
Service contract is under $20 per day, that is nothing considering the machine can produce $1000+ of prints per hour if you keep it busy

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
It has nothing to do with, what we can afford or not! It has more to do with Canons pricing on both spareparts and servicecontracts and their unfriendliness when you are out of contract.!
As metioned. When your printers run all day every day, the service contracts are negligible. Becides, when running all day , every day and you have a breakdown. Canon will be there same day or next day with a box of parts ready to get you going.

And if you're not on a contract, your issues are not as a priority to those in contact.
Not that you need to log a service call that often, but having that facility is worth every cent.

MarkSnelling

Mark Snelling - Hasco Graphics
We have only sold one service contract for the Colorado out of dozens and dozens of units. Because we service most of the machines we sell, it isn't an expense I worry about too much once the unit is out of warranty. I recognize it is easy for me to say as I'm not the one writing the check....but I've yet to regret not selling a service contract. The units are pretty tough and don't need a lot of service help until around 700,000sf of printing and thats when things like print heads start to get tired.

Another good reason to use distributors when purchasing a Colorado is our service rates are far lower than Canon's. They charge over $300/hour while we take care of our customers are a far better rate.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
We have only sold one service contract for the Colorado out of dozens and dozens of units. Because we service most of the machines we sell, it isn't an expense I worry about too much once the unit is out of warranty. I recognize it is easy for me to say as I'm not the one writing the check....but I've yet to regret not selling a service contract. The units are pretty tough and don't need a lot of service help until around 700,000sf of printing and thats when things like print heads start to get tired.

Another good reason to use distributors when purchasing a Colorado is our service rates are far lower than Canon's. They charge over $300/hour while we take care of our customers are a far better rate.

just curious.
hypothetically speaking,
we bought out 1650 off you with a service contract.
it's 10am, we have a major issue, we log a service call with you.
I've described the issue, it requires you/your techs to come out and replace a part.
when would i expect to get my 1650 fixed?
If the part is in stock?
and if it's not in stock?

Tim Miller

It's impressive. We just took delivery. For an actual job, it printed a full 150' roll of decals with white ink in about 3 hours.

MarkSnelling

Mark Snelling - Hasco Graphics
just curious.
hypothetically speaking,
we bought out 1650 off you with a service contract.
it's 10am, we have a major issue, we log a service call with you.
I've described the issue, it requires you/your techs to come out and replace a part.
when would i expect to get my 1650 fixed?
If the part is in stock?
and if it's not in stock?
Barring big issues, if we know in time to get parts out, you should be up and running the next day. I read your post about the techs being on-site during the same day, which is so impressive. I've seen it happen in major markets where they have several available technicians. If you are beyond a servicing zone, though, the game changes quite a bit.

victor bogdanov

Barring big issues, if we know in time to get parts out, you should be up and running the next day. I read your post about the techs being on-site during the same day, which is so impressive. I've seen it happen in major markets where they have several available technicians. If you are beyond a servicing zone, though, the game changes quite a bit.
All my service calls have been fixed same day, sometimes tech shows up in 30 minutes but I'm in a big city. 10+ colorado trained techs nearby, they have van full of parts

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
Yes, here i'd be back up and running with in a few hours. If they don't have the part, either they'll pull it from the showroom machine, or unluckly it'll be here the next day.

Here also, if you're rural, etc, it can be a little more challenging.

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
We have two techs in Omaha here, pretty fortunate for a city of our size. I think they do alot of Copy machine service which keeps them busy enough. We'll often get same day service from Canon. We have one M, and just ordered a second to replace our in service 1650. We'll probably end up with a 3rd M sometime early next year.

It's not for everyone, but for us I think it's a game changer.

We've come a long way from replacing printheads on our 1650 every month back in 2021.

Christian @ 2CT Media

We have two techs in Omaha here, pretty fortunate for a city of our size. I think they do alot of Copy machine service which keeps them busy enough. We'll often get same day service from Canon. We have one M, and just ordered a second to replace our in service 1650. We'll probably end up with a 3rd M sometime early next year.

We've come a long way from replacing printheads on our 1650 every month back in 2021.
Did you guys ever discover the root cause of the head failures?

FireSprint.com

Did you guys ever discover the root cause of the head failures?
Not exactly, but we stopped taking advice from the local tech and the phone techs and just had EVERYTHING we print benchmarked by Canon in Chicago. For example, General Formulations 202 and 203 are basically the same material with different adhesives. Rather than using the 202 profile for both, we had Canon benchmark both the 202 and the 203 and that seemed to eliminate head strikes on both materials.

We went thru 14 heads in the first 18 months of the 1650, but have not had one since we implemented the 100% benchmarked media policy. We have about 1mm sqft on our 1650 today.

They benchmark for free (they even send shipping labels), but it takes a few weeks.

Basically, this is all we run on it: https://www.firesprint.com/vinyl-decals/products/

victor bogdanov

We went thru 14 heads in the first 18 months of the 1650, but have not had one since we implemented the 100% benchmarked media policy. We have about 1mm sqft on our 1650 today.
I'm getting close to 1M sqft with original printheads using pretty much one profile for everything.

I had an issue with media not transporting well/bunching/causing head strikes until I started applying "cleaner A" once or twice per week to the platen "10070056303 - CLEANER A, ASSY BOTTLE HZMT O:1068104"

saw this tip in another thread and it pretty much fixed all my problems by making the platen slick and easy for medial to glide over

saw the tip in this thread https://www.signs101.com/threads/the-colorado-1630.164147/page-2

WinGraphics

Premium Subscriber

I'm glad to hear that your past the printhead replacement phase of your 1650. Unfortunately I seem to be having a similar problem with my 1650. We have had 3 magenta heads go out within 25,000 sq feet of printing! Is there any advice you can give me? We have an experienced, quality operator for the machine.

CMYKprnt

I spent a lot of time in Chicago looking at this machine. I was impressed. We have a Digitech and the white on Digitech is impressive also have an Epson S80 with white - no near as impressive but works well and the color is amazing on Epson eco solvent. To me the genius of the Colorado is the speed and given that I have other options if I need quality, I think the colorado rounds out my equipment. I though the white in the Colorado was great and white. Also, loved that I can print a roll in 1.5 hours at good quality. It is still a UV so it isn’t going to be pixel perfect but I also love the fact I can do double sided banners for real. There was about an 1/8” difference between side one and side two but well within tolerance to do double sided with pole pockets. Some of what I read here makes me want to go look again but it seems like an overall good piece.

FireSprint.com

I'm glad to hear that your past the printhead replacement phase of your 1650. Unfortunately I seem to be having a similar problem with my 1650. We have had 3 magenta heads go out within 25,000 sq feet of printing! Is there any advice you can give me? We have an experienced, quality operator for the machine.

I would suggest:
- Have Canon benchmark all your media you run through it
- Be crazy diligent with all maintenance
- I have no experience with it, but victor's advice above makes sense ^^

Brian Tickenoff

Anyone know if the ink prices for the M are coming down anytime soon? At $160/L, that's a LOT more expensive than ANY other press we have (Durst, Vutek, HP Latex).
I know the "cost per hour" in relation to the price of the press is going to be a fair amount cheaper than our other presses but the ink cost seems to be way up there.
(Not bashing on the press or Canon, I just saw it in action at their demo center in Chicago not too long ago and I'm impressed!)

Christian @ 2CT Media

Anyone know if the ink prices for the M are coming down anytime soon? At $160/L, that's a LOT more expensive than ANY other press we have (Durst, Vutek, HP Latex).
I know the "cost per hour" in relation to the price of the press is going to be a fair amount cheaper than our other presses but the ink cost seems to be way up there.
(Not bashing on the press or Canon, I just saw it in action at their demo center in Chicago not too long ago and I'm impressed!)
Have you looked at the ink consumption comparisons? I ran a test on our 800W, Colorado, and Vanguard (all profiled by us) and the Colorado was over 50% less ink use per sqft then the HP.

victor bogdanov

Cost per sq ft printed is low, im around 7 cents/sq ft ink cost