Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CAR CARICATURES in PHOTOSHOP

Discussion in 'Adobe' started by M D Gourley, Feb 3, 2019.

1. M D Gourley

M D Gourley Member

Feb 2, 2019
    New Zealand
    Hello everyone,
    I have a good client and do most of their vehicle signage for their business and they just purchased a Porsche and wanted me to manufacture and apply some graphics to it....as per finished 'Before' photos and I thought I would have a go at a 'Car Caricature' but using only Photographs I had taken.
    My Client was thrilled with the result and wanted a large poster print for their 'Mancave', I also suggested some T-Shirt prints, and possibly some prints applied to Mugs.
    The below before photographs and after 'Caricature' image
    PORSCHE CARTOON Signs 101.jpg
    Here are some more I have done for other clients with photographs I have taken.
    MUSTANG cartoon PHOTOGRAPHS.jpg

Below is a breakdown of how I achieved this using a Sim Racing screen shot...my other favorite pass time
    CALLAWAY CAR CARTOON FLAT web.jpg
    Thanks for stopping by...regards M D Gourley

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
    • Like Like x 7
  2. SignMeUpGraphics

SignMeUpGraphics Moderator

Apr 11, 2012
    Australia
    Wow this brings me back to 2003 when I used to do this for some folks in the Lexus club... memories.

• Like Like x 1
  3. M D Gourley

M D Gourley Member

Feb 2, 2019
    New Zealand
    Thank you for taking the time to reply...lol, retro artwork

4. visual800

visual800 Very Active Member

Aug 4, 2010
    montgomery, alabama
    these are cool

• Like Like x 1
  5. signage

signage Major Contributor

Oct 5, 2005
    Penn
    Nice work! Did it take you very long to do them?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Gino

Gino Major Contributor

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Very nice.

• Like Like x 1
  7. M D Gourley

M D Gourley Member

Feb 2, 2019
    New Zealand
    Thank for your response...approx. time to edit photos once in my PC - 1.5 to 2 hours

• Like Like x 1
  8. Sandman

Sandman Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Crystal Falls, MI
    Great work but not really caricatures. Caricatures accentuate a feature which makes something much larger in proportion to the rest of the object. Like this. Again, I'm not knocking your work. It's very good.
    [​IMG]

9. bigblocktrader

bigblocktrader Member

Jan 14, 2012
    palm beach,fl
    just curious is this done with dedicated software or just a talented Photoshop user

• Like Like x 1
  10. WildWestDesigns

WildWestDesigns Major Contributor

Sep 27, 2010
    Mid TN
    I can't remember if Deaton uses Ai or DRAW (I'm wanting to say DRAW).

There really isn't a simple software solution for cartooning/caricatures, that comes from the style of the user.

You can get stock art, but otherwise no, it comes from more from the user and their style.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. SignMeUpGraphics

SignMeUpGraphics Moderator

Apr 11, 2012
    Australia
    This was a pure Photoshop job when we were doing them, nothing about it was automated. Once you have the method refined, it's easy enough. Just need to start with good source images as always.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Sandman

Sandman Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Crystal Falls, MI
    He think either uses mainly Corel Draw or Illustrator

• Like Like x 1
  13. M D Gourley

M D Gourley Member

Feb 2, 2019
    New Zealand
    It is done totally in Photoshop from good high resolution 20 megapixel Camera data.

• Like Like x 1
  14. M D Gourley

M D Gourley Member

Feb 2, 2019
    New Zealand
    Thanks for your input...and while you are technically correct this is my personal style and interpretation of what a 'Car Caricature' is....besides the customer was more than happy with the result.:)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Todd Wigington

Todd Wigington Old Sign and Tech guy!

Jun 8, 2018
    Gilbert AZ
    Hey, I love this!!! Take me back to the 70's. How much do you charge? I have a number of clients that would love this! or send me an email direct to hook up with you.

16. Gino

Gino Major Contributor

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Where did you ever get that idea ?? In this comparison, there's a whole myriad of exaggerated features. No one said they hadda be huge or grotesque.

CARICATURES.jpg

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Sandman

Sandman Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Crystal Falls, MI
    I'm sure the client was happy because it IS great work. Maybe you should trade mark the term car-cature.

18. rob nichols

rob nichols Member

Jul 21, 2016
    Ohio
    Great work. Very nice.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Johnny Best

Johnny Best Very Active Member

Dec 9, 2015
    buffalo ny
    Here is the lady who owns the Porsche! Fernando Botero.
    Screen Shot 2019-02-04 at 2.34.42 PM.png

• Hilarious! Hilarious! x 1
  20. M D Gourley

M D Gourley Member

Feb 2, 2019
    New Zealand
    Hello Todd,
    Thanks for the response...Cost was $150 in my countries currency....there are a few problems that arise from doing overseas work with supplied photos from clients...as I do my own photography with a reasonably good small camera, I can control the quality and also get the extra shots needed to complete the work eg. the Porsche photo had the rear wing and side on wheel shot so I do not have to paint do any artwork to add in detail where there is not any...this takes up to much time and may not be correct in the end and reduces the profit margin.
    They supply a very low resolution photo of a car that they do not own any more and that is all they have to work off....as above to make it as photorealistic as possible high quality shots are needed and these caricatures are created using only the actual Photographic Images...ie cut and paste, then distort...no real artwork interpretation involved.
    I have done 1 overseas job for a client about 10 years ago and it was difficult to get payment then and they also came back with difficult changes as they decided my style wasn't what they wanted in the end...LOL...usual ol' story.
    ...That's why I showed the breakdown of how it was done in the Callaway GT3 image above....so other people can do it:D
    Having said all that...we could give it a try...
    regards
    M D Gourley

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019