• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

CAR CARICATURES in PHOTOSHOP

M D Gourley

Hello everyone,
I have a good client and do most of their vehicle signage for their business and they just purchased a Porsche and wanted me to manufacture and apply some graphics to it....as per finished 'Before' photos and I thought I would have a go at a 'Car Caricature' but using only Photographs I had taken.
My Client was thrilled with the result and wanted a large poster print for their 'Mancave', I also suggested some T-Shirt prints, and possibly some prints applied to Mugs.
The below before photographs and after 'Caricature' image
PORSCHE CARTOON Signs 101.jpg

Here are some more I have done for other clients with photographs I have taken.
MUSTANG cartoon PHOTOGRAPHS.jpg

Below is a breakdown of how I achieved this using a Sim Racing screen shot...my other favorite pass time
CALLAWAY CAR CARTOON FLAT web.jpg

Thanks for stopping by...regards M D Gourley

Last edited:

Sandman

Great work but not really caricatures. Caricatures accentuate a feature which makes something much larger in proportion to the rest of the object. Like this. Again, I'm not knocking your work. It's very good.
images

bigblocktrader

Great work but not really caricatures. Caricatures accentuate a feature which makes something much larger in proportion to the rest of the object. Like this. Again, I'm not knocking your work. It's very good.
images
just curious is this done with dedicated software or just a talented Photoshop user

WildWestDesigns

just curious is this done with dedicated software or just a talented Photoshop user

I can't remember if Deaton uses Ai or DRAW (I'm wanting to say DRAW).

There really isn't a simple software solution for cartooning/caricatures, that comes from the style of the user.

You can get stock art, but otherwise no, it comes from more from the user and their style.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
This was a pure Photoshop job when we were doing them, nothing about it was automated. Once you have the method refined, it's easy enough. Just need to start with good source images as always.

M D Gourley

images
Thanks for your input...and while you are technically correct this is my personal style and interpretation of what a 'Car Caricature' is....besides the customer was more than happy with the result.:)

Todd Wigington

Old Wrap guys and Kids
Hey, I love this!!! Take me back to the 70's. How much do you charge? I have a number of clients that would love this! or send me an email direct to hook up with you.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Great work but not really caricatures. Caricatures accentuate a feature which makes something much larger in proportion to the rest of the object. Like this. Again, I'm not knocking your work. It's very good

Where did you ever get that idea ?? In this comparison, there's a whole myriad of exaggerated features. No one said they hadda be huge or grotesque.

CARICATURES.jpg

Sandman

I'm sure the client was happy because it IS great work. Maybe you should trade mark the term car-cature.

M D Gourley

Hey, I love this!!! Take me back to the 70's. How much do you charge? I have a number of clients that would love this! or send me an email direct to hook up with you.
Hello Todd,
Thanks for the response...Cost was $150 in my countries currency....there are a few problems that arise from doing overseas work with supplied photos from clients...as I do my own photography with a reasonably good small camera, I can control the quality and also get the extra shots needed to complete the work eg. the Porsche photo had the rear wing and side on wheel shot so I do not have to paint do any artwork to add in detail where there is not any...this takes up to much time and may not be correct in the end and reduces the profit margin.
They supply a very low resolution photo of a car that they do not own any more and that is all they have to work off....as above to make it as photorealistic as possible high quality shots are needed and these caricatures are created using only the actual Photographic Images...ie cut and paste, then distort...no real artwork interpretation involved.
I have done 1 overseas job for a client about 10 years ago and it was difficult to get payment then and they also came back with difficult changes as they decided my style wasn't what they wanted in the end...LOL...usual ol' story.
...That's why I showed the breakdown of how it was done in the Callaway GT3 image above....so other people can do it:D
Having said all that...we could give it a try...
regards
M D Gourley

Last edited: