• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Car Insurance Question

JgS

A customer came to me this morning wanting the vinyl lettering removed from her car's back window. She told me a friend of hers with similar lettering was recently in an accident and insurance wouldn't cover the damages because of the lettering. The insurance company claimed the lettering made it a fleet vehicle. This may be a noob question, but is this a common problem, and something I need to be warning my customers about? Or is it most likely the friend had cut-rate insurance?

signage

Insurance companies look for anyway to get out of paying for a claim! What was the vinyl on the back window for? If it was a business and contact info, I could see them refusing to pay for a vehicle insured as personal use!

cajun312

Probably different in every state, in Louisiana if you have your business name on the vehicle, the vehicle has to be licensed and insured as a commercial vehicle.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
That's the case here in Michigan.

I'm not so sure it qualifies as a "fleet" vehicle, but it could qualify as a "commercial" vehicle. The only way to know for sure is to contact your insurance agent.

I see so many cars around here that are fully decked out with the logos of MLM's or their home-based business, and I wonder if their signmaker let them know of the liability.

JB

HDvinyl

Trump 2020
My first ever cut vinyl job was like this. I never knew the US DOT had to be displayed.

Customer found out fast, $2500 ticket.

He's no longer my customer :)

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
My first ever cut vinyl job was like this. I never knew the US DOT had to be displayed.

Customer found out fast, $2500 ticket.

He's no longer my customer :)

Since when was it your responsibility to know and inform your customers of their legal obligations to the transportation laws or any other kind?

HDvinyl

Trump 2020
Regardless, I now require US DOT numbers to be purchased.

I am a sign company, I should know what's required of signs.(that's what I took from it)

Techman

Probably different in every state, in Louisiana if you have your business name on the vehicle, the vehicle has to be licensed and insured as a commercial vehicle.

When I lived there.. This was not the case.

Besides we are not the insurance agent or the DOT cop.

TammieH

Sign Person: Carpenter/Painter/Designer/Electrician/Welder/Graphic Artist/Construction/Silkscreen/Insurance Adviser