Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Car Insurance Question

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by JgS, Feb 5, 2013.

1. JgS

JgS Member

Dec 8, 2012
    Houston
    A customer came to me this morning wanting the vinyl lettering removed from her car's back window. She told me a friend of hers with similar lettering was recently in an accident and insurance wouldn't cover the damages because of the lettering. The insurance company claimed the lettering made it a fleet vehicle. This may be a noob question, but is this a common problem, and something I need to be warning my customers about? Or is it most likely the friend had cut-rate insurance?

Tags:
  2. AKProbeGT

AKProbeGT Premium Subscriber

Jan 17, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    I've never heard of that. Probably going to vary based on the insurance carrier and your states laws.

3. signage

signage Major Contributor

Oct 5, 2005
    Penn
    Insurance companies look for anyway to get out of paying for a claim! What was the vinyl on the back window for? If it was a business and contact info, I could see them refusing to pay for a vehicle insured as personal use!

4. cajun312

cajun312 Active Member

Jun 26, 2005
    Louisiana
    Probably different in every state, in Louisiana if you have your business name on the vehicle, the vehicle has to be licensed and insured as a commercial vehicle.

5. James Burke

James Burke Being a grandpa is more fun than working

Jan 2, 2010
    Mitten State
    That's the case here in Michigan.

I'm not so sure it qualifies as a "fleet" vehicle, but it could qualify as a "commercial" vehicle. The only way to know for sure is to contact your insurance agent.

I see so many cars around here that are fully decked out with the logos of MLM's or their home-based business, and I wonder if their signmaker let them know of the liability.

JB

6. HDvinyl

HDvinyl Trump 2020

Nov 20, 2008
    halfway house.
    My first ever cut vinyl job was like this. I never knew the US DOT had to be displayed.

Customer found out fast, $2500 ticket.

He's no longer my customer :)

7. Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps Kentucky Wraps

Mar 6, 2009
    Bluegrass
    Since when was it your responsibility to know and inform your customers of their legal obligations to the transportation laws or any other kind?

8. HDvinyl

HDvinyl Trump 2020

Nov 20, 2008
    halfway house.
    Regardless, I now require US DOT numbers to be purchased.

I am a sign company, I should know what's required of signs.(that's what I took from it)

9. Techman

Techman Major Contributor

Jun 24, 2003
    michigan
    When I lived there.. This was not the case.

Besides we are not the insurance agent or the DOT cop.

10. TammieH

TammieH Very Active Member

Nov 28, 2011
    Pacific NW
    Sign Person: Carpenter/Painter/Designer/Electrician/Welder/Graphic Artist/Construction/Silkscreen/Insurance Adviser