• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Car problem

misterwizard

So, I thought maybe I could sell some stickers if I put a few on my own car. Then I remembered, I drive a beater. The hood and the trunk both have hand sized spots on them where the adhesion between the paint and the primer failed, over time, and now there is an ugly gray area showing.

I could put stickers all over the rear window, but I think those paint blemishes would sink the boat before it left the pier. And forget about putting on vinyl saying "I can make signs for you." Unless I can use the vinyl to cover up the blemishes. And no, I can't afford a new paint job and would prefer to spend the money on a better car anyway.

Guess I shoulda thought of that before I decided to buy a cutter to learn how to make signs. Perhaps I'll stay out of the sign biz and concentrate on vinyl I can sell online. Or do a lot of glass sandblasting or maybe get into making t-shirts.

Can you tell I don't have anything remotely approaching a business plan?

:Oops:

I'm thinking my beater car is probably not my biggest business problem.

Gabe

"Deposit Please"

Can you tell I don't have anything remotely approaching a business plan?
I answered your question, and yes, i can tell.
Since you bought a cutter, why don't you do it all ( Glass Sandblasting, signage, t-shirts, online vinyl) Why limit yourself. Take advantage of your investment, it's money well spent.

Poconopete

It's time to sit down and write out your business plan. Maybe you could get creative with vinyl and cover your car with decals.

btropical.com

I actually love beater cars , run with it . Put stickers on it and Talk To a SCORE representative and get a business plan together . Of course selling stickers at the flea market/ebay /craigslists might be a start , but maybe go to work for a sign shop and get a better idea of how to run a business . What ever you do aim high or get high which ever comes first

misterwizard

It's time to sit down and write out your business plan. Maybe you could get creative with vinyl and cover your car with decals.

My business plan is this: make some money. Enough that the cutter pays for itself and any needed materials. Hopefully enough to upgrade to a better cutter in the not too distant future.

Ok, I admit, that is more wishful thinking than a business plan. But everybody has to start with at least that much. It's where to go from there that I'm trying to figure out.

And you know, covering the whole car with a bunch of decals isn't a half bad idea. At least it would be inteesting to look at, although I don't know which state would be more of an eyesore!

misterwizard

Talk To a SCORE representative and get a business plan together . Of course selling stickers at the flea market/ebay /craigslists might be a start , but maybe go to work for a sign shop and get a better idea of how to run a business.

There's a bit of good advice. I'll put that on my to do list - contact SCORE. Oh wait a minute - I did that a few years back and got a spam email back from the SCORE counselor. "After reviewing your business idea, my company would like to offer you a loan of $30k to help you start your business." Yeah, right. I know how that works - borrow 30k and have to pay back 60k. No thanks!

I have a full time job. Since I'm in computer support they tell my I have to be available all the time in case they need me. So I can't get an official second job, but I could work for myself. Maybe I can find a sign shop that would let me do piece work, just to learn.

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
And you know, covering the whole car with a bunch of decals isn't a half bad idea. At least it would be inteesting to look at

Wrap the rusty beater with bumper stickers...
Make your own, be creative and sell them at misterwizardbumpersticker.com.

Here's a few for inspiration...

Attachments

• obama bumper stickers.jpg
    obama bumper stickers.jpg
    413.6 KB · Views: 133

misterwizard

Keep your full time job until you have a business plan in place, then take it from there.

Yup - that's the plan. I've got an out-of-work wife and a kid who is just 18 but a wee bit "alternative". You know, facial piercings, dresses only in black, that kind of thing.

My basic plan is to learn to use the software and cutter and then teach them how to run it for a biz, while I do the day job thing to pay for getting the biz off the ground.

We have a couple of flea markets nearby, and we live in a very touristy area. Plus there are 2 or 3 colleges around here, so that market is available too. I'm thinking we can use those to our advantage by making souvenirs and custom stuff, along with signs and stickers, etc, etc.

That should keep them busy and bring in a bit of extra income for the family.

misterwizard

Wrap the rusty beater with bumper stickers...
Make your own, be creative and sell them at misterwizardbumpersticker.com.

Here's a few for inspiration...

Good ideas, Mike. I'm putting that one up on the wall so I don't forget it. But, not knowing much about bumper stickers, let me ask you ... Are those printed? It looks like a lot of work for layered vinyl, so I'm assuming they are printed. If so, what kind of printer are you using? :thankyou:

anotherdog

What you need to do is get your son involved and make a reality tv show about your "crazy" sign business. You wouldn't happen to have a 300lb receptionist covered in tatoos?

I also think you should move next to an existing sign business, you know one with overhead and employees then screw down your prices till they go bust... oh wait you are doing that!

What the world needs more of is cheap ass bad Stickers N Signs.

Mosh

So you are going to teach your kid how to do something you don't know how to do?

Also you are going to get into printing t-shirts. You have any idea of all the equipment that takes? Emulsion, screens, washout tank, exposure unit, PS Printer for halftone work, squeegies, ink, our course a print machine, dryer, spot dryer...plus a load of little crap.
I know some do the "iron on CRAP" and I am sure that is what you meant, but that is NOT real shirt printing.