• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Card Perforations in Postcard. How to?

jtech

Do you know of a machine that will make perforations like http://imgur.com/gallery/MWWs8ZD
MWWs8ZD

FatCat

Several different ways to do that;

1. Using a flatbed cutter like a Zund/Esko/Summa/Colex, etc.. They make perfing wheels and creasing wheels
2. Using a die-press, a die is made and the perf is stamped onto the material - best for large runs
3. They do make standalone perf/score machines, Rossback was a big name - but I believe those are more for straight line perfs...

JPR-5690

FatCat is right, the only way to do a custom perf is either with a flatbed or a die. It’s tricky to do on a flatbed on small jobs especially close to the edge like that but not impossible.

They also make “pre-converted” materials for digital printing depending on exactly what you’re looking for. Check out BlanksUSA.com

If you’re actually looking to buy the finishing equipment Duplo is a major brand name for bindery/finishing machines. While you can find cheaper brands of the same equipment you can check out their website for an idea of the different possibilities.

axelmk

jtech

2. Using a die-press, a die is made and the perf is stamped onto the material - best for large runs

What do you recommend for dies and a die-press?

FatCat

To elaborate, if you are willing to use a local source to do these for you, loo

What do you recommend for dies and a die-press?

There are a lot of machines that can do die cutting - I came from an offset printing background and saw many different machines, even old letterpress units (Heidelberg windmills and Kluge's converted to no longer print, but just do die cutting or stamping.). Honestly, you'll have to ask yourself if it's worth getting a dedicated machine, they aren't cheap, especially if you're buying something new. I would strongly urge you to look for a local print shop or shop that does foil stamping/die cutting and outsource this project to them. If the job stays the same, you'll just need to invest in the die itself, and then give it to them when it comes time to run the job.

IMHO unless you are doing 10,000's per month, it will be hard to justify buying a dedicated machine, just my .02¢

Snydo

I've done similiar jobs using Micro-Perf applied to a 12"x19" piece of 3/8" Lexan, works well for short, medium runs, and rush jobs. It's also a good shoulder, tricep workout on card stock at least.

mark galoob

This is a job where u have to ask yourself is the juice worth the squeeze. The problem is not just buying the machine to do it but having the necessary training and experience to even do the job and not make so many mistakes that reprinting is necessary. Outscourcing this one is prob gonna be the most profitable in the long run.

burgmurk

If that's the shape you need (the 'credit card'), chances are your local die-cutting services already has a knife made up. It's a pretty common thing to punch.
If you need to get one made, it shouldn't be crazy expensive, but i guess it's all relative to how many copies your doing.