Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cast vs. Calendared Vinyl

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by WestbankKurt, Jun 26, 2012.

1. WestbankKurt

WestbankKurt Member

Jul 1, 2009
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    Vinyl on cars

Thank for the quick response. Why is cast the better vinyl then calendered?

Tags:
  2. CS-SignSupply-TT

CS-SignSupply-TT Very Active Member

May 31, 2011
    CAST or CALENDARED

I got this one, y'all. Even though I do not speak CAJUN, I think Kurt will understand. CAST is manufactured by pouring the liquid vinyl to its finished size and allowing it to cure accordingly. CALENDARED is manufactured by pouring the liquid to a specific size, curing, and then "stretching" the product to its finished size. The stretching gives the vinyl a memory; therefore, over time, the applied vinyl will "shrink" back to its pre-stretched size.

3. wildside

wildside Very Active Member

Aug 28, 2005
    Kansas
    similar, but what i always understood, and told by a gregory rep probably 15 years ago, that cast starts as a liquid and is poured onto massive sheets and baked to cure, while calendared starts as almost like a "playdough" or putty and rolled through different pinch rollers to squeeze it down to the thin shape

cast is stretchy and does not have a memory because it started as a liquid and has no reference point while calendared will always try to ball back up to its original "playdough" state, causing the curling and the shrinking.....

• Like Like x 1
  4. Fred Weiss

Fred Weiss Merchant Member

Sep 11, 2003
    Olympia, WA
    It was explained to me by a VP at the old Fasson (now Avery) ...

Calendared vinyl starts out as a dough and is either extruded through a thin slot with pressure or rolled into a sheet using steel rollers. Either way the molecular memory of the film is that of a lump and it will want to shrink back into a lump when exposed to heat or as it ages. All that stops it from doing so is the adhesive.

Cast vinyl is liquified and then sprayed like paint against a "casting sheet" where it dries or cures and is left with the molecular memory of the sheet it dried as. Therefore, it has no tendency to shrink as it ages.

Cast vinyl is inherently more expensive to produce but it is also inherently superior for long term outdoor vinyl lettering and graphics.

5. _Neil

_Neil Member

Jun 24, 2015
    Other than the manufacturing process, I've been told (by a vinyl supplier) that cast will have a more matte finish, and calendared will be more glossy.

6. 2CT Media

2CT Media Very Active Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    That's a big negative! Both are available in many finishes including matte or gloss. The cast and calendared difference is all in the manufacturing process as explained by others above. Finishes, Base Color, etc is all shared by both types of vinyl.

7. Fred Weiss

Fred Weiss Merchant Member

Sep 11, 2003
    Olympia, WA
    :bookworm

Absolutely not so. A good rule of thumb and a best practices rule is to always consider anything said by a supplier sales rep as untrue and made up until proven otherwise.

:dog42

8. Behrmon

Behrmon Premium Subscriber

Apr 9, 2015
    RI
    It's easier to spell.

9. ams

ams Premium Subscriber

Oct 28, 2010
    Virginia
    Because it conforms better and holds up longer, also better quality. Why go into technical details?

10. player

player Major Contributor

Apr 24, 2006
    Toronto
    For the reasons already discussed, calendared shrinks. When it shrinks (and it can shrink substantially) the adhesive either gives up, or holds and causes cracking and then peeling. Although there are some better quality calendared vinyls, most are made with cheaper materials which further degrades their quality.

11. mfatty500

mfatty500 Active Member

May 10, 2010
    Sugar Grove, Ill
    When they say stretched, by how much do they mean?

12. decalman

decalman Active Member

Sep 2, 2012
    phoenix
    While calendered does play second fiddle to cast, fret not, there are some excellent calendered films, on the market nowadays.
    I've seen large graphics --calendered- that I've made, 4 years later, looking very good. Note-- in the hot desert sun. 114 degree heat

13. Jillbeans

Jillbeans Major Contributor

Dec 24, 2003
    Butler, PA
    I was always taught that cast is a more premium product and should be used on long-term jobs and vehicles.
    Calendered can discolor and shrink, and is for cheaper jobs like corosigns.
    Love....Jill

14. jsmoritz2000

jsmoritz2000 Very Active Member

I think a very important point that has yet to be mentioned is that cast is also available in a much broader selection of colors and textures than calendered.

15. Marlene

Marlene Major Contributor

Jun 8, 2004
    Vermont
    brand also matters. some cast premium by some companies is garbage. cheap brands put out cheap cast so use a good brand if you want it to last