• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cast vs. Calendared Vinyl

gabagoo

Years ago my main supplier was a MacTac reseller and even though the 9800 was a calendared vinyl, it is rated for 7 plus years and it really did last. I found it difficult to cut and weed and did not use it much although it was cheaper than traditional Cast vinyls and a about double the cost of average calendared vinyl.

Floridaman

Every scenario is different and judged on a case by case basis. If it’s out for a weekend then calendared is fine, if it’s out for 7 years then cast, if it’s out for 20 years then ditch vinyl and carve it. But also there’s other factors to consider...does the vinyl need to conform over curves/rivets, will it be exposed to fuel/solvents, will it be underwater, will it be applied to latex paint, does it ever need to be removed, does it apply to low energy plastic like an ATV, and on and on it goes. Lucky for us a vinyl has been developed for every scenario, it’s the printer/sign maker’s duty to test and know the specific purpose of any given vinyl type/brand and use them accordingly for the purpose they were designed. Otherwise you’re doing your customers, our industry, and your business a great disservice. Many vendors will send you free samples of various vinyls/products. Take the time to test different types of vinyl, apply them to different substrates, pull them up, wrinkle and unwrinkle them, hit em with the torch, give your hands time to familiarize with each material. Then when it comes time to choose the right vinyl for the job it will be a natural and easy choice. Well worth the time, and will stay with you for your whole career!
This is how professionala are made

Stacey K

I like making signs
Simply put and generally for cut vinyl: trailers, trucks, outside long term signs, rivets = cast. Short term like coroplast, weekend banners, little give away decals = calendared.
I prefer Oracal 751 cast film, and 3M. For calendared, I like the ShineBrite or Oracal 651.
Signman 315 explains it best. If you run across something odd its best to ask on here or your sales rep and use a sample.
I would never take a short cut on a vehicle and use calendared if you expect it to last many years.

decalman

Oracle 651 is good stuff in my opinion. 65% less costly.
Its the sun and wax that kill the vinyl . The petroleum in the walmart wax, eats up the plasticizers. I suggest to clients that they use marine wax to preserve their decals.

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
Vinyl on cars

Thank for the quick response. Why is cast the better vinyl then calendered?
I don't think of cast being better than calendered. They each have a different purpose. Cast is made from liquid allowing it to conform around complex curves better than calendared. Calendared is made from pellets and is great for flat surfaces. Then you have polymerics for when you need a little stretch or conformability.

Cast for complex curves, cars and, calendared for straight, flat surfaces.

Inks

Calendared
- is extruded and comes in monomeric (shrinks a lot) and polymeric (shrinks less)
- quality polymeric versions can last more than 5 years
- Stiffer and thicker film makes it easier to handle
- Excellent performance on flat, simple and moderate curves

Cast
- lowest shrinkage and good dimensional stability due to being cast in a relaxed state.
- conformable product that allows application over substrates with rivets, corrugations, and complex curves
- can last up to 10 years