• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Ceiling Murals

dsmskyline

I have a client that wants to put a mural in the ceiling of her office.

I had it quoted using 3m IJ180 as I want it to stick and not peel off. The quote was nearly 6 times as much as a couple wall murals we will be doing for her which I had quoted on an intermediate vinyl.

Is there another material that might be suitable for use on the ceiling that would be more cost effective than the IJ180.

I have a Mutoh VJ1608 so the material needs to obviously be solvent/eco-solvent compatable.

Thanks for the help,
Thomas

shakey0818

The quote was nearly 6 times as much as a couple wall murals we will be doing for her which I had quoted on an intermediate vinyl.

Is there another material that might be suitable for use on the ceiling that would be more cost effective than the IJ180.

Are you kidding me your getting 6 times the amount you charge for a wall murals using intermediate vinyl..,and your still looking for a cheaper material.

Why not just take the deposit and not do the job.It seem like your trying to screw them every which way you can.

formanek

Ceiling suck. I did this bus and just the gravity issue alone was enough to make me not want to do it again and this one I could reach without scaffolding, etc... Good luck.

As far as material I would guess the most important thing is what the ceiling is. Flat, textured, etc...

How about actually cutting panels of wood OR another material, wrapping it in your shop and then hanging at the site? That's my next ceiling plan.

Attachments

• bison.jpg
    bison.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 154

dsmskyline

The quote was nearly 6 times as much as a couple wall murals we will be doing for her which I had quoted on an intermediate vinyl.

Are you kidding me your getting 6 times the amount you charge for a wall murals using intermediate vinyl..,and your still looking for a cheaper material.

Why not just take the deposit and not do the job.It seem like your trying to screw them every which way you can.

I'm actually looking for a way to save the customer some money... Not trying to make money.

To give an understanding, the wall murals are 8' high and 9' wide and is $600 installed using the intermediate vinyl.

The ceiling was quoted at $31xx as is 13'x 17'. There is some sq ft differences as well as price differences for the material.

Have to remember, not everyone is out to screw people. Our company has been around for over 100 years, not something that can happen with a reputation to screw people. Also keep in mind, we are strictly a b2b company. Maybe 0.5% of our anual sales are b2c. Most of them are to the employees and their friends/family.

Ive never used phototex, Ill have to check with one of my local vendors and see if I can get a sample.

Thanks for the input.

Craig Sjoquist

There are plenty qualified sign and mural painters in your area.

That can do a beautiful long lasting job and both be able to make a profit.

MikePro

why are you doing wall murals with intermediate vinyl?
make sure your client knows that it WILL eventually fail.

JoshLoring

MikePro said:

+1
It will shrink- the edges will curl and it will not stay on those walls.

MikePro

the ONLY time I use anything less than cast, but upsell as a permenant piece of artwork, is when I am able to wrap my edges around something and secure on the backside.

heck, i've done murals with MacTac economy vinyl on 4'x8' Sintra that I've overlapped my VHBtape on the backside over the vinyl and onto the sintra.
(I also add studs/silicone, to make sure it doesn't fall off the wall)

If you want to wrap with Intermediate vinyl, might I suggest making a frame to stud/silicone mount over the edges of your prints?
for the ceiling, however, I wouldn't suggest trying... as your print will eventually make the room look like it's deflating.

JoshLoring

dsmskyline said:
Ive never used phototex, Ill have to check with one of my local vendors and see if I can get a sample.

Thanks for the input.

Phototex = awesomeness
We have it everywhere. Plus- it won't damage any surface upon removal

Note: sorry for the image tags- grabbed these samples off of my cell phone from our website.

Attachments

• image-2377206326.png
    image-2377206326.png
    388.7 KB · Views: 86
  • image-2600929228.png
    image-2600929228.png
    391.6 KB · Views: 147

dsmskyline

This is not a permanent install...

They were quoted on a cheap material as they will be replaced 3-4 times a year. Worst case scenario is twice a year. Most wall murals/graphics we do are on IJ180.

Im looking into getting some Phototex to test out, may be better for the walls as well as it seems like it would be easier to install.

Sticky Signs

if they plan on replacing it that often why not consider using magnetics. Drytac makes a product ( I believe it's called Fero - it has metal in it) that you would install directly to the ceiling. Put your prints on magnetic and stick em on. Easily replaceable. I would recommend testing it first though.

dsmskyline

The ceiling is more of a permanent install, its the walls that will be changed out.

We had discussed using panels previously but he didn't like that.

ForgeInc

Josh,

I have always heard photoex isn't really meant to be a long term solution, especially on drywall. Curious how long you've had your prints up? What is your wall surface (smooth or textured) Any issues with prints lifting?

I have a client who wants a wall mural in her house and my partner talked me out of phototex as a long term solution, thus my questions.

jasonx

I've had phototex on a wall for about two years now without any lifting etc. Its an internal plaster wall.

JoshLoring

ForgeInc said:
Josh,
how long you've had your prints up? What is your wall surface (smooth or textured) Any issues with prints lifting?

Been up about 2 years- no lifting or fading. Textured walls with paint. Prepped by wiping all walls with a hot damp cloth and air dry for 30 mins pre-install.

FYI, you can lift an move phototex anytime you want and it retains stickiness. I have one corner of the wall that I've lifted to show clients it doesn't hurt the drywall over 100 times and it still sticks perfect.