• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

"Certified 1 Owner" car had more than 1. Now what?

iSign

(by the way... I shoulda put a smiley with my STFU comment... it was said with a smile :smile: )

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Have your guy replace the timing belt, while he has it apart have all the drive belts replaced too.
My son's college beater is (was) a pretty well maintained 98 mirage.
Last week the main drive belt (water pump & alternator) failed - shredded and wound up behind the crank pulley - forced back through the plastic belt cover and got between the timing belt and the crank gear. Took out the timing belt (& crank sensor). Interference motor - valves carved their profiles into the pistons and stopped seating....
All in all a spectacular Rube Goldberg type melt down.
Timing belt was just a little under year old.......

wayne k
guam usa

Last edited:

Techman

i think ill go read the cnc forums from now on..

Stretch, yank, pull, wear, Who give a flying flip?

OldPaint

120k vw today........aint the older more reliable engines that got them their name. timing belts are CHEAP way to save the manufacture some money. and i will not own a car with an interference engine!!!!!! your asking for a problem. iam an old VOLVO guy. i have bought 2-3 70's volvos for peanuts because when they was running, it sounded like the bottom end was coming apart. WRONG.... NEW TIMING CHAIN AND GEARS!!! then it run like a top to those 200-300,000 miles. then i owned the 240 series. 2.3 4 cyl, timing belt NON-INTERFERENCE motor. i could change a timing belt in 30-45 minutes!!!!!
FORDS......love to wear chains out. chevy not so much but there weak link was connection between the oil pump, cam & dist. as for that GEAR DRIVE SET UP, great for racing, but in an everyday car, way to much noise!!! you want to see how it should be done? open up a MERCEDES dual overhead cam straight 6!!!! all chain, 3 links wide!!!!
as for that car being a 1 owner...i got one of them to!! i am the 1st person yo have it titled when i bought it. it was a 99 dodge 1500 truck. its 1st 24-30k it was used as a dealership loaner. from that point it was LEASED to someone till it hit 63k. thats when i bought it. CARFAX IS ONLY AS GOOD AS WHAT WAS SUBMITTED!!!! mine said it was never wrecked. of course not . the dealership just fixed it, didnt send it in to carfax. how do i know? i took out the battery the other day, and there was a FENDER BOLT layin in the bottom of the tray. also, got some paint chipping on the drivers door, truck is black, but iam seeing RED. take of the door panel....inside of door is RED!!!! so much for car fax.

SignosaurusRex

On that particular make and model, It has a belt....not a chain. With 120,000 miles on it the likelihood of the belt having been replaced is next to NIL but is getting within a point of wear that serious thought to do so is in order. When the belt goes titso on that engine, it goes without warning and you will be replacing the entire top end as well. A reasonable timing belt replacement before then should run not much more than about $1,000.00. If the vehicle was represented as a 1-owner vehicle and is in fact not as represented, the dealership must return your money without further expense to you.
Any problem with the dealership at that point is usually quickly resolved with the mention of their license, bond and the State Attorney General.

signage

Also a dealership does not need to transfer the title to them, they are legally alowed to have opened titles for resale.

SilverScout

I bought a used car from a dealership that was "certified 1 owner" but I have since found out that it may have had more than 1 owner. They won't tell me the previous owner's name that they have on file. I found a tag registration receipt in the car manual and gave them that name. They told me that the name I have is different from the one they have. On the CarFax report, there is a title change to a different county. I figured the owner moved but that's not the case. I found the person who's name I have on Facebook and contacted them because all I really want to know is if the timing belt has been changed. I haven't heard back.

I think the car wouldn't be worth as much if it's had more than 1 owner. If I can prove that's true, do I have an recourse? I can't seem to find anything on google search.

If it says on the bill of sale "certified 1 owner" then yes you have grounds to take legal action against the dealership. If you can prove more than one previous owner then you may or may not get all of your money back. The/your damages will be decided by the courts.

Anything written on the bill of sale is part of the contract or deal made and must be honored. That is the law.

brdss

Actually, I think you would have to PROVE the dealership knew it had more than one owner and committed an act of fraud in selling you the car as such. Just as if they sold you a car that had the odometer turned back 30,000 miles (still possible, even with todays electronic odometers with the right tool), unless they knew it to be false, or you can prove gross negligence on their part, you will be out of luck trying to get anything out of them. Your state probably has a licensing board you can report them to.

As with any used car, it is always buyer beware. Besides, if you took them to court for the lost value due to it being owned by more than one person, how would you prove the value lost on your particular vehicle? "Judge, they owe me $450 because the exact same model car with the exact same milage and vehicle condition, but owned by 3 different people over its lifetime, sold on the same day sold for $450 less!