• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

cg 130 fx cutting bad

anthony smith

I just can't seem to get my offset adjusted, replaced blade holder
but had no effect.
any one had this issue or know a solution suggestions
would be greatly appreciated

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
The offset is a fixed attribute of the blade itself and should only be adjusted when you change blade types. The package you received the blade in should have the offset value included with it. The standard Mimaki blade has an offset value of .3mm. If you have the offset setting set correctly and the blade holder is ruled out, I am willing to bet you have the blade sticking out of the blade holder too far or too little. You only want the angle of the blade showing through the top of the holder. If more is sticking out, it causes issues that look like the offset is incorrect. If it is in too far, your force setting will be abnormally high. Generally with a new blade, I am satisfied with the exposure of the blade when I can cut 3mil calendared vinyl at about 30 to 40 grams of force.

hotrod46

Mimaki Blade Geometry

Represented Mimaki 12 years, one of first companies in US to do so.
Assuming you have a correct blade with .3mm offset mentioned
before, take a common sheet of copy paper and fold it twice making
four thicknesses. Before this test back the blade back into the
holder. Place the paper on a hard surface and drag your knife holder
over it. Turn the blade out until the blade just cuts through TWO of the layers.
Congratulations! You have achieved the correct blade depth for a Mimaki.
This is not much blade showing. The design of the blade holder is such that it is
meant to glide over the surface of the vinyl with the blade doing
the cutting. You should still be able to get a stylus microscope
from Radio Shack, a handy tool to quickly assess the tip of your
knife.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
...dubious blade advice deleted...

You should still be able to get a stylus microscope
from Radio Shack, a handy tool to quickly assess the tip of your
knife.

Get a loupe from any camera shop, or merely a 10X-20X magnifying glass will do the trick. If under at least 10X magnification, more is better, the very tip of a good blade will be pointed. There will by no, none, nada, zip, zero, rounding or chipping on the tip. If there is, change blades. It doesn't matter if a blade is 5 minutes or 5 years old. If it's not pointed, it's no good. It's the tip that does the cutting, the sharpened portion up from the tip pretty much does nothing.

As far as setting a blade by cutting through paper, bad idea. The are few things more abrasive than paper. If you want to take the tip off of an otherwise perfectly good blade, cut a little, very little, paper with it. Consider the microscopic area of the blade tip. It doesn't take a whole hell of a lot to dull it.