• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Chatter in CNC routing program

Susan Stewart

Good morning all. We went ahead and upgraded from VCarve Pro to Aspire software so we can do 3D modeling on our CNC router. We have a program that we drew, but it has some chatter. Does anyone know what we should do to get rid of this chatter? We are cutting a concave pattern on 1/2" MDF.

Aspire groove.jpg

MikePro

that's most likely a resolution issue within the program, as its trying to render 3D detail. Like in 2D software showing you a line at a slight angle, and its a million microsteps on the screen but cuts your straight line on the machine.

Susan Stewart

We did run a full part, and the chatter was there. It was slight and we were able to sand it down, but we would like to know how to make it not be there.

B_Rollins

We did run a full part, and the chatter was there. It was slight and we were able to sand it down, but we would like to know how to make it not be there.
When running 2.5D engraving, I have found that telling the software the stock is slightly thicker than what it is alows the bit to not start or stop on the material. In my experience this has been the main cause of artifacts on the surface of the part. I don't have that software so can't say for sure, but it looks similar to an Artcam rendering or Fusion 360 cam rendering.

astro8

A while since I've used Aspire. I thought there was a smoothing function for this problem somewhere?
If you hold down shift+control when creating a new job you get 20x and 50x resolution options on the pull down in addition to the normal (max) 7x resolution.

Last edited:

Susan Stewart

We just found where the resolution settings are. Thanks for the tip about using the shift + control buttons. If we set it to "50x slower" will it take more time to route on our CNC router?

Susan Stewart

When running 2.5D engraving, I have found that telling the software the stock is slightly thicker than what it is alows the bit to not start or stop on the material. In my experience this has been the main cause of artifacts on the surface of the part. I don't have that software so can't say for sure, but it looks similar to an Artcam rendering or Fusion 360 cam rendering.
We will try that. Thanks.

astro8

We just found where the resolution settings are. Thanks for the tip about using the shift + control buttons. If we set it to "50x slower" will it take more time to route on our CNC router?
No...it takes longer to router a toolpath with chatter than it does a smooth one....but it'll be a lot more taxing on your computer to make the files as there is more data in the relief

JBurton

Signtologist
We routed a scaled down version of this using 50x resolution this morning. It turned out great. There was no chatter!
If I'm not mistaken, you'll need to increase your resolution by the same factor that you scaled down to achieve a similar result on your production piece. (I could be wrong, I don't use Aspire)

astro8

If I'm not mistaken, you'll need to increase your resolution by the same factor that you scaled down to achieve a similar result on your production piece. (I could be wrong, I don't use Aspire)
I would think that too, but no, it doesn't work like that.
Doesn't matter if the design is 1'x1' or 8'x4', it will still be at the resolution (7x, 20x, 50x) that you nominated at the start of the job.
The thing to watch out for is that file sizes can become monstrous.