• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Check never debited...

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Has anyone ever written a check that was never debited from their account? I wrote a check (under $1k) and the sign company received and cashed it a month ago, but it never debited from my account. Has that ever happened to anyone? How long do you go before you assume it will never hit? I called the sign company I sent the check to and they confirmed they received the funds.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Chances are whoever checked is lazy or dumb and never actually checked the bank. They may have got the check, received it in QuickBooks but never deposited it. Banks don't make unfound mistakes. Call them back and tell them that they received it but it never made it to the bank. That crap screws up your books.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Bet it'd still clear the bank even with if you cancel it. It's all automated now, I used to forget to sign the payroll checks on a regular basis and they'd go right into the bank anyways. My wife deposited a check that got tore in half after being in my pocket. I've accidently deposited company checks into my personal account too. They don't check anything anymore.

ProSignTN

Many years ago, after a nasty storm, I did an insurance job for a small dry cleaners owned by a wonderful older gentleman. Mr. Hale called me a couple weeks after the final handshake and we had put pen to paper. "Have you started on my sign?" "No Mr. Hale, I haven't received the check." A few more weeks and I myself am calling the insurance company. "We sent the check". "I didn't get". Got a nasty letter threatening litigation from the insurance company's law firm. They are gonna sue, and have me arrested for fraud. The wise and gentle old man believed me and stuck with me. He called me up a week or so later. The check had been deposited in the local hospital account. Riverpark Hospital vs ProSign, how do you mess that up? Thought a lot of Mr. Hale for his patience throughout the ordeal. Never, ever, did I get an apology letter or phone call from the insurance company.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Banks don't even look at them... I wrote a check made out to the wrong company and they cashed it with no problem...the name was completely different.

unclebun

I guess they don't have good employees at the banks you all use. When I deposit checks, the tellers will point out to me that the writer didn't put the cents on the longhand written line and they can't deposit it for the full amount written in the numerals box. Or that the writer didn't sign the check. Or if I add up the deposit slip wrong. Perhaps that's the beauty of using a locally owned community bank.

Stacey K

I like making signs
I usually use my phone app to deposit checks. Good thing I always double check the deposit went in because one of them didn't and it was $1,000! It's possible the bank made a mistake, you can call and ask them. They might be able to track it in the system by the dollar amount.

E Coloney

A buddy of mine took the CHUNNEL train from Paris to London (1st Class) and paid with a credit card but the charge never showed up. That was ~15 years ago. It's been several years since I inquired about a stop payment but the bank wanted $35 back then and it was only good for 6 months and had to be repaid to be renewed (a perfect bank income stream). The only way to BE SURE that it won't get paid and deducted from your account is to close that account.