Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cheesy Franchise?

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by James Burke, Oct 12, 2010.

1. James Burke

James Burke Being a grandpa is more fun than working

Jan 2, 2010
    Mitten State
    I drove by one of these today http://www.signsbytomorrow.com
    and since I am becoming educated by the "purists" here, a red flag went up in my mind.

I stopped in and acted like a "customer" just so I could get a peek at what they had in the back room. Their window between the work area and the sales counter was large enough you could drive a Mini through it. From the looks of things, they aren't using anything spectacular. It appears to be just a print and cut shop only, and while they had samples of just about everything under the sun (check their link), I would guess that is subbed to somebody regional. He estimated that printed banners at approx. $10 sq. ft.

BTW...I'm in the stone engraving & small monument industry (slants, bevels & lawn markers), and I don't even mess with the requests I've had to do vinyl. Artistically, this forum is a fantastic inspiration for me and the business topics are spot on.

Tags:
  2. letterman7

letterman7 Very Active Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    SBT are well known here. Typical francise stuff, vinyl and print in house while everything else is subbed. Quality varies by owner, just like a Sign-a-Rama and FastSigns.

3. kstompaint

kstompaint Active Member

That sounds pretty typical of any small shop, franchise or not. Printer, plotter, a few PC's, some hand tools and sub the rest out. It's not far off the description of my shop less the paint.

... and $10 sq ft for printed banner is pretty standard too.

4. speedmedia

speedmedia Very Active Member

Aug 8, 2007
    I would give my righty to get $10 Psf for a banner. That would be awesome.

We had one of those by us and it went outta biz about a year ago.

Kurt

5. anotherdog

anotherdog Very Active Member

Sep 6, 2008
    Hey they NEED $10 per square, they have FEES to pay.
    % off the top and a licence fee, arm and a leg plus your first born.

6. kstompaint

kstompaint Active Member

We get $10 but you're talking design included and (very) short runs and four finished edges with grommets. It's not worth doing for much less.

7. bayshorecreations

bayshorecreations Very Active Member

Jun 15, 2007
    NJ
  8. Pat Whatley

Pat Whatley Major Contributor

Sep 29, 2003
    Wetumpka, AL
    What's always troubled me about Signs By Tomorrow is that they've got 180 franchise locations....all using that God-awful logo that was designed by a photocopy shop in the 80s.

9. Keith Rae

Keith Rae Member

Oct 8, 2009

Now they have an kool website

10. James Burke

James Burke Being a grandpa is more fun than working

Jan 2, 2010
    Mitten State
    Wow...that is a cool franchise. But don't you think everybody looks a little too intense for this setting? After all, it's fondue...sloooow and eeeasy. They look like they've just gone a few rounds with a lobster tail. Something also tells me they're dipping into more than cheese and chocolate.

Check out that Yin Yang cocktail next to the gal in the fron left of the photo.

Yowzers! Hover your mouse over the levitating fondue pots and see what happens. Absolutely way too cool!!!!

11. Rick

Rick Certified Enneadecagon Designer

Apr 17, 2003
    Valle Vista
    At 875,000 - 1.5 million in start-up cost for a Melting Pot, I'm thinking a Signs by Tommorrow is a cheaper alternative...

Oh, there is a melting pot close to me... may have to check it out...

12. Farmboy

Farmboy Active Member

Feb 8, 2007
    Auburn, NY
    There are none in my state. Time to get outta the sign biz and open a restaurant, I mean how hard can it be when the people cook their own food. Sounds like easy money!!!

13. Mike Paul

Mike Paul Major Contributor

Dec 30, 2003
    NJ
    Never heard of the melting pot but a lot of good looking women hang there... :thumb: