• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cheesy Franchise?

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
I drove by one of these today http://www.signsbytomorrow.com
and since I am becoming educated by the "purists" here, a red flag went up in my mind.

I stopped in and acted like a "customer" just so I could get a peek at what they had in the back room. Their window between the work area and the sales counter was large enough you could drive a Mini through it. From the looks of things, they aren't using anything spectacular. It appears to be just a print and cut shop only, and while they had samples of just about everything under the sun (check their link), I would guess that is subbed to somebody regional. He estimated that printed banners at approx. $10 sq. ft.

BTW...I'm in the stone engraving & small monument industry (slants, bevels & lawn markers), and I don't even mess with the requests I've had to do vinyl. Artistically, this forum is a fantastic inspiration for me and the business topics are spot on.

letterman7

SBT are well known here. Typical francise stuff, vinyl and print in house while everything else is subbed. Quality varies by owner, just like a Sign-a-Rama and FastSigns.

kstompaint

That sounds pretty typical of any small shop, franchise or not. Printer, plotter, a few PC's, some hand tools and sub the rest out. It's not far off the description of my shop less the paint.

... and $10 sq ft for printed banner is pretty standard too.

speedmedia

I would give my righty to get $10 Psf for a banner. That would be awesome.

We had one of those by us and it went outta biz about a year ago.

Kurt

anotherdog

Hey they NEED $10 per square, they have FEES to pay.
% off the top and a licence fee, arm and a leg plus your first born.

kstompaint

We get $10 but you're talking design included and (very) short runs and four finished edges with grommets. It's not worth doing for much less.

Pat Whatley

What's always troubled me about Signs By Tomorrow is that they've got 180 franchise locations....all using that God-awful logo that was designed by a photocopy shop in the 80s.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
I saw the title of this and thought we were gonna talk about this place: http://www.meltingpot.com/

Wow...that is a cool franchise. But don't you think everybody looks a little too intense for this setting? After all, it's fondue...sloooow and eeeasy. They look like they've just gone a few rounds with a lobster tail. Something also tells me they're dipping into more than cheese and chocolate.

Check out that Yin Yang cocktail next to the gal in the fron left of the photo.

Yowzers! Hover your mouse over the levitating fondue pots and see what happens. Absolutely way too cool!!!!

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
At 875,000 - 1.5 million in start-up cost for a Melting Pot, I'm thinking a Signs by Tommorrow is a cheaper alternative...

Oh, there is a melting pot close to me... may have to check it out...

Farmboy

There are none in my state. Time to get outta the sign biz and open a restaurant, I mean how hard can it be when the people cook their own food. Sounds like easy money!!!