• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Chevy Express Wrap tips?

Chiproller

I am obviously concerned about the deep channels on the sides and am wondering if there is a way to avoid trying to heat the material down into the grooves?

I have a roll of Oracal Orajet 3551 which is supposed to be great for vehicles with simple to moderate curves (probably not ideal for this wrap but I would rather avoid getting a new roll of wrap media and laminate as I I also already have a roll of Oracal laminate for the wrap.

Would it be possible to use some tape to tape over the grooves then just wrap over the flat surface?

Thanks for your input.

Chip

HulkSmash

just finished wrapping 3 expresses. And i did 2 last month.

Pay the extra 100 a roll and get 3M. You really save in the end.

As for the channels they are quite deep, you have to put relief cuts in the wheel wells IMMEDIATELY after laying it. If you don't they'll pop up in a few day/weeks. If you dont cut them right away they're stretch and when you do end up cutting it.. it'll leave a large gap of what ever color the vehicle is.

Chiproller

I second this..

By wrap into them, you mean heat, wrap into the groove, then set by reheating? My fear is that with the material I have it's not ideal for demanding wraps. The description says for vehicles with simple to moderate curves. I know the correct answer is buy material that fits the job but in this case I have to go with what I've got, the Oracal Orajet 3551 GRA

My gut tells me that the deep grooves (even if they are only a half inch in width) would be a problem with heating and applying this material with a high chance of failure.

What about taping or even double taping over top of the grooves (for strength) then wrapping over top? Has anyone tried this in a wrap with any results?

Thanks,

Chip

Chiproller

just finished wrapping 3 expresses. And i did 2 last month.

Pay the extra 100 a roll and get 3M. You really save in the end.

As for the channels they are quite deep, you have to put relief cuts in the wheel wells IMMEDIATELY after laying it. If you don't they'll pop up in a few day/weeks. If you dont cut them right away they're stretch and when you do end up cutting it.. it'll leave a large gap of what ever color the vehicle is.

Thanks for the advice, unfortunately I have to go with what I've got. Where did you place the relief cuts on the wheel wells?

How did you go about wrapping the wells? If they were just horizontal wells it would be easy to wrap into them, but as you know these are square wells on the sides so it's going to get hella hard when I get to the vertical wells. Any tips here? Is it a heat, wrap into well reheat wrap into well, reheat to set kind of thing?

Chip

HulkSmash

with the express it is hard to "wrap into them" you have to lay it over and the heat and press. Use primer for sure, and i put the relief cuts in the middle, OR the top overlap so you can't see if there is some "Pullage"

BALLPARK

I love doing Chevy Express Vans... The channels are not bad at all. Use a bit of primer 94, if you want a bit more tac to help them long term. I would not suggest to cut reliefs.

Post heat your contours.... should be good to go. Good luck...

jc1cell

I would suggest 3M IJ380 or Oracal 3951 for this project. It would ease the tension on those channels.

If not, then using primer, heat and post heat would be the best. Air release slits on the top side of the grooves where it's not viewable by anyone will also help the air flow while installing it. Be sure to post heat to set the memory of the vinyl.

jc

Then again...read the sig.

B-RAD Graphics

:banghead::banghead::banghead: your are asking for nothing but problems...it WILL FAIL..and then it will be back. THey sell the proper matrial for a reason..WHat are going to say when it does fail????

Jace161

I wrapped a RV with 3 slides outs, wrapped over all the bumps, grooves, and everything with 3551 GRA and 290G, almost 5 months later still looks good, the front I had one groove pop out but I fixed that with some H E A T...I knew I made a mistake on that section from the start anyway.

I would use 3951 or 3m IJ180c just for the insurance that its made for the curves and grooves but you can get away with less if your patient and dont try to stretch too much.

speedmedia

This is probably one of the easiest vehicle there is to wrap but I think you are making a mistake with the material. If it where a trailer you would be fine but it will not hold up. Pick up phone and order some 3MIJ180C and 8518 lam and Doooo it.

Really why can you not order this? Did you not charge the customer enough? Did you not get a deposit for this job to cover design and supplies? If you don't use the right material it is going to cost you more down the road. Either do it right or please don't do it as there are already enough of these people destroying a once profitable business.

Thanks,
Kurt

cdiesel

Use the right material. Period.

Do NOT deliver an inferior product to your client. They are paying you good money and they deserve to get a quality product. Get a cast film and use it. Work the vinyl into the grooves (without heat). After everything is done, post heat and burnish the vinyl at about 220 degrees. Do NOT relief cut anything on an Express. If you use the correct material and technique there is absolutely no reason to. If you don't have the capability/desire to do it correctly, sub it out to someone who will. There are qualified installers all over the country who can help you.

HulkSmash

Relief cuts are fine. you dont even see them and it guarantees them from not lifting in the future. Primer doesn't help all that much in my experience with these wheel wells.

signswi

3951GRA and 290G, no primer (isn't designed for it)--don't cheap out. Relief cuts over time will try to pull apart and you're cutting directly on the vehicle which always risks damaging the vehicle's clear coat.

cdiesel

Relief cuts are not okay on a Chevy Express. There is no reason to have them if you install correctly.